Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2020, 20:14   #361

Boat: Gulf 32
Re: Best Pilothouse Sailboat?

Gulf 32!!! Biased because I own one, as long as going fast isnt what you want to do I couldnt imagine a better small pilothouse boat for the pnw.
youtubeSailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 03:45   #362

Thanks for bringing this thread up. Subscribing.
There's some serious read ahead of me.
etoimene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 06:31   #363

Boat: Spindrift 43

Wow, this thread has been running for nearly 8 years and 25 pages! OP, your profile says you're still looing for a boat, so your patience is finally going to be rewarded. Good things come to those who wait:

The best pilothouse ever built is the Spindrift 43. You're welcome!!

(Okay, there's perhaps a little bias there). This is a cool thread, and there are some really interesting pilothouse boats out there. The Hans Christian 44PH is especially interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sailing Sistership.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	225728  
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 15:39   #364

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

May as well toss in a pic or two of Spindrift’s little sister then - the Landfall 39. By far the best pilothouse I own
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4E368B54-232F-47E3-84F9-56FA564A5FDC.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	225977   Click image for larger version

Name:	2C9E2B27-8407-40D8-81E7-6E2804F2D885.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	225978  

Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2020, 21:17   #365

Boat: triangle pilothouse 32

Well I am not going to say my boat is the best pilothouse boat as I am always drooling at the cabo ricos northeast 40 and especially the Bruckmann 50. Stepping way down the line in age and quality I also think the lancer 44 is an interesting boat although with a myriad of flaws. My boat however is what I could afford. It has it's exceptional points and its limitations. It is old, 1964. Factory finished by triangle marine in rochester NY. They had Grampian build the hulls across the lake to their specs. The main boat they sold was a centerboard designed center cockpit. Hull design was from the Finisterre age. Very similar to a tartan 27 also. On this center cockpit hull they decided to also offer a motorsailer without the centerboard. I would only be guessing at how many were built maybe 5. I know of one other in existence today. She is small at 32 ft, inside steering, no real outside steering. Shallow 3-10" draft. She is not an ocean boat, so many windows. no bridge deck. She has plenty of sail area with a 40 ft mast and sails like a sailboat ...but not really upwind. Has a perkins 4-108 in her. Such a comfortable little boat to live on. My wife and I lived on her for 5 years seasonally. Lot of room for such a tiny boat. We went to the boat show and looked at all the new fat boats and came away thinking we would have to be in the 40 footer range to feel like as much living space. I will say the pilothouse has ruined other sailboats for me. I don't want to live in the basement anymore, I like sitting in the pilothouse looking out the windows. I will also say the amount of time we have been motoring or sailing along in the rain and cold,all warm and comfy, only to see some sailboat pass us with people in rain gear, coats and hats grimacing from the cold is astounding. Always reminds me, as I take another sip from my drink, what misery sailing in bad weather use to be like. I am never going back, but I admit to missing the go fast sailing end of things. My friend asked me what it was like sailing my boat. I said its like sailing a car. I have had her 11 years now price paid was 20k.

squarpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 21:14   #366

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM View Post
Not many pilothouse boats on the market now. My last vision of modern pilothouse boat - Soler-39+, based on built prototype Soler-35. Bare unpainted aluminum hull, lifting keel, B&R rig, simple interior...

just saw this post. wondering if you could possibly post more about your experience with this boat, the builder, perhaps pricing and the process of building it. it's a very interesting boat to me.

i love the idea of a pilot house, aluminum hull, composite deck and a variable draft!!
PSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2020, 13:50   #368

Boat: Finnsailer 35

Well... my choice was Finnsailer 35, Finnish built to last... solid fibreglass... sails well doing around 5-6kn with 15-20mph wind and has an 85HP engine for more challenging conditions. 430 lt diesel tank and 250 lt watertank. Currently under serious renovation (all electrical + new gelcoat, etc.)
IoannisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2020, 12:55   #369

Boat: Mariner 38 Pilot House

Here’s mine! Mariner 38
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	28164635-ECEF-4299-BF56-9300CFBBE0E7.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	380.6 KB
ID:	229293  
mcon12000 is offline   Reply With Quote