Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2020, 13:17   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft
Re: Best place for a value for money blue water boat

There are a fair number of boats available in the Pacific NW. Check out Latitude 48 on line for possibilities. Good Value. Not always Cheap Pricing.

I would agree with the comment "look close to what will be home", if you are currently looking to leave Bahrain.

Once you buy that perfect boat, there will be the need to modify/spruce up/add to your new to you boat. Often referred to as "placing your Mark" or "making her my own".

This usually takes time and money. Don't spend your complete budget on buying that beauty in the slip.

Though I know you will read this and then likely ignore it, Don't start changing your boat for at least the first 6 months. It takes a little time to learn about the boat. For instance: Someone put that grab bar in that place for some reason. To you it may look out of place. If you sail your boat for a bit of time you may learn the secret. More than one boat owner will jump aboard and start changing things only to learn the mistake.

Good luck on your search. It is always a great time to look for a boat.
JSSailem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 13:45   #32

Thanks. Before I go anywhere I'd start by having sails, rigging and engine serviced. Then depending on what didn't come with the boat, add things like solar power, windvane and autopilot, life raft, dinghy and any navigation aids. I'm still not wholly clear on the cost v value of sat phone is.

So far I have refined my choice to 32-34ft monohull, full keel, (maybe steel) build, centre cockpit (if possible), 25HP+ engine and the additions above as a minimum.

I plan in long run to single hand and cross Atlantic and Pacific.

I respect what you say about not messing around with the layout and bits and pieces that maybe unusual.

All I want is to travel safely. For one person that size of boat brings enough comfort.
cooper1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:21   #33

Based on location, Turkey, Greece and Croatia are good value for yachts, good parts and cheap labour (always reference, quote and manage).Ex charter and private yachts with extras. If you stay in water sailing">blue water sailing routes like ARC then any modern yacht is good. Beneteau, Jeanneau and Hanse (good short handed setup). Traditional boats like HR are expensive, traditional with big Genoa's and worse access for swimming. Go for small overlap Genoa, code zero/ gennaker on furler for light air reacher. Boomed out Genoa for downwind and paradsailor/ spinnaker with snuffer if you feel upto it. Lots of solar area, frame at stern. Good davits for dinghy at stern. Small wind generator for night if Caribbean bound. Look at Lithium Sulphate /ion batteries (Jimmy Cornell), much easier to manage power but complicated to set up. NO generator or air con, use canvas and wind scoops. Slab reefing. Less teak and wood easier to look after. Remember most time is at anchor in hot climates, swim and good cockpit. Azuree 46 . KISS.
Roshni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:48   #34

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

I would say either New Zealand or Australia. Great exchange rate great builders and plenty of facilities and resources.
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water, boat, money, water