Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2008, 12:37   #1

Best Place to Buy a 40-47' Sailboat - US, Canada or Europe ?

From year 2000-2008 and capable to cross the atlantic. Price in class with the french jeanneau, beneteau or simular.

I have plans to sail in the Great Lakes for a summer or 2. (2009 or 2010).

Hunter is the only us made sailboat i can find in this class. What other brands in same style should i look for?

(sorry for my lovely english)
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 13:14   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
US east coast is probably the biggest area. US west coast gets into some issues with transport or a very long sail. A boat purchased in the SE could then be sailed north in the spring and be there in time for summer. That would mean you could start in FL late winter and work north with the idea of being north about June.

Catalinia would be in the same class as Hunter and you can find a fair number of Bavaria, Benetau, and Jeanneau boats here as well. You might find older better US and Canadian boats here too.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 13:27   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
freetime,

US east coast is the best place to buy right now. Prices are much better than in Europe. Just check a common boat such as a Ben 423 in Yachtworld . You will find the US prices a lot better. Paul has listed most of the more plentiful ones. If you need a good broker I can give you the name of one in Charleston, SC. who has offices in Florida and North Carolina too. There are also lots of boats for sale in the Great Lakes, usually the folks up here want a couple of more bucks for them because they're fresh water boats and have few of the problems associated with salt water. In addition the boats up here are only sailed from May to late October. I can also give you the name of a good broker in Toronto. Just pm me.
Old 23-07-2008, 13:47   #4

Pblais. Thanks, good information. I will take a look at catalina.

Perfect. I can not buy the boat right now. But when time is i will send you a pm Vasco.
Old 23-07-2008, 15:27   #5

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I think that the best place to buy a boat is in your own country, preferably as close to home as possible. Factor in the combined costs of import duties and taxes, travel and accommodation to view/inspect/survey boats, cost of preparation for delivery in a "foreign" port where you don't know the local tradesmen, cost of delivery, etc. Those costs add up pretty fast, especially if you end up making a lot of trips to look at several different boats. To me, travelling halfway around the world to buy a boat is like driving 80 miles, round trip, to fill up your car with gas, because its 5c per gallon cheaper than at your local station.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2008, 15:30   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
I think that the best place to buy a boat is in your own country, preferably as close to home as possible. Factor in the combined costs of import duties and taxes, travel and accommodation to view/inspect/survey boats, cost of preparation for delivery in a "foreign" port where you don't know the local tradesmen, cost of delivery, etc. Those costs add up pretty fast, especially if you end up making a lot of trips to look at several different boats. To me, travelling halfway around the world to buy a boat is like driving 80 miles, round trip, to fill up your car with gas, because its 5c per gallon cheaper than at your local station.
Yes, its true.

But i have a plan to sail in Great Lakes... And if i will buy a boat in US and then sail home later. I donīt know right now about insurance. Swedish citizen and a us boat.
Old 23-07-2008, 16:09   #7

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
How is your currency vs US dollar? As the Canadian dollar has risen against the US dollar, many Canadians are buying boats in the States and having them trucked/sailed to Canada. As well, the US economy is hitting a bit of a speed bump right now and there are many bargains to be had. I'd look very hard at a US Great Lakes freshwater boat.
Dave the Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 01:20   #8

If you buy a new boat in Sweden we have 25% vat. If you buy the boat in GB or Germany they have 15 or 17,5% vat. So atleast 10% cheaper in other european contries than sweden. The Ģ is expensive right now. If Europe i think Germany is cheapest, itīs not so far from me and easy to sail her home before the long cruise.

The $ is very good right now for "me" but the problem to find a boat on the other side of atlantic. And then import her to sweden.
Old 24-07-2008, 03:33   #9
cruiser

Freetime... you have switched from catamarans to monohulls?

I thought you were looking at 45-50ft catamarans in the Great Lakes last time I logged in. ?
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 04:20   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 57
The VAT is only an issue if the boat stays where you buy it. Right now with the strong Euro the US Market is pretty good to buy boats. The Caribbean has some incredible deals on ex-charter boats while there are some good "distress sale" offers all up and down the east coast! I have a bunch of boats earmarked for further perusal on yachtworld.com that I won't look at until I sell my current boat. If you are interested in a 2002 Jeanneau 43DS with some extras then contact me for a smoking deal. I will deliver, too
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 04:32   #11

Lots of US boats are finding thier way out of the country right now. The Euro being so strong and the US economy being so slow is a major factor. Met a group of Dutch sailors in St Marteen this spring who had bought a boat in California and were on the way to the Med with it. It was a lovely 60 foot Rhodes ketch.

Look in boats dot com.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 04:55   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
Freetime... you have switched from catamarans to monohulls?

I thought you were looking at 45-50ft catamarans in the Great Lakes last time I logged in. ?
Great Lakes is still my plan. About boats, right now i donīt know how much money i can spend on the boat. So i will check all alternatives.
Numbers not in order....
Nr. 1 Buy a Privilege 445, F-P 44, Nautitech 44 or simular with everything you need to live a year or more.
Nr. 2 Buy a trimaran Contour 50? and sail one summer, and take the way thru halifax and then to europe in the autumn and the spring after selling the boat. Only if i can sell the boat.
Nr. 3 Buy a used mono in Germany, Sweden and sail ARC with her and try to find my way to Great lakes that way.
Nr. 4 Buy a newer USA made sailboat and sail one summer and keep her around great lakes over the winter and sail the summer after again.
Nr. 5 Buy a cheaper boat and sail summertime in Great Lakes and keep her around the lakes, and come back spring and sail her summertime only.
Nr. 6 Buy a cheaper catamaran, f-p 36, 38 or lagoon 380 in europe and sail her over for a summer and sail back in autumn.
So i can say the most important thing is to do it. And if it is with a big catamaran or a 36f monohull it doesnt matter for me, but probably for my family.
As you understund i have probably some middle age crises (40yo)

And it is not easy to do this fast with a family and children 14,16 and 19 years old. And a company in sweden....
Old 24-07-2008, 04:57   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Lots of US boats are finding thier way out of the country right now. The Euro being so strong and the US economy being so slow is a major factor. Met a group of Dutch sailors in St Marteen this spring who had bought a boat in California and were on the way to the Med with it. It was a lovely 60 foot Rhodes ketch.

Look in boats dot com.
The dollar is probably so weak because you are cruising all the time

We will see whatīs happens to the dollar comp. euro in 6 mounths from now.
Old 24-07-2008, 06:45   #14
JB

You might want to consider the Caribbean, specifically Trinidad. There are excellent numerous boats on the market there at any given time, labor, parts, storage and maintenance are inexpensive, there is a large and welcoming cruising community, and you are only 80 nm from dome of the best cruising grounds in the world - the Eastern Caribbean!
Old 24-07-2008, 08:23   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
You might want to consider the Caribbean, specifically Trinidad. There are excellent numerous boats on the market there at any given time, labor, parts, storage and maintenance are inexpensive, there is a large and welcoming cruising community, and you are only 80 nm from dome of the best cruising grounds in the world - the Eastern Caribbean!
Why not, can you recomend any site. Or what keyword should i use, just trinidad or?

Tags
Canada