Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-10-2017, 20:56   #1546
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Bestevaer 49ST

I thought the Lazarette was the place a wealthy person that died (passenger) was placed until you made port. Ordinary seamen etc were buried at sea, but I guess a wealthy passenger it was best to have a body?
Anyway I thought it was a large locker, usually in the front of a ship cause that was downwind, and the name came from Lazarus as in being resurrected, but that part doesn’t make sense to me?

On edit, found this
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazarette
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 03:10   #1547

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Bestevaer 49ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
How do you access the Lazarette?

The cockpit seats on both the port and starboard sides lift up. A couple of aluminium steps down lead down into the lazarette on each side.

There is an aluminium shelf that runs along the port side for storage. The starboard side has the same, but it is a tray with a raised lip all around. The tray will be where the water maker will be located. The lip is to contain any spills

Aluminium shelves are very practical. They are welded into the structure so they also act as deep ribs in these locations, adding further strength and rigidity to the hull, not that it needs it . The technical room /workshop also has a 2.6m long bench in aluminium. This is the worktop bench has also been welded to the hull structure but has been anodised to give it a nicer surface finish.

I took this photo of the underside cockpit seat lid to show one of the beefy catches, but in the bottom left corner you can just see the first treadplate step down into the lazarette.

noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 07:45   #1548
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Bestevaer 49ST

Steps? Shelves?
Mine I open the hatch, suck my gut in as much as possible and gravity will cause me to slide though with just a few scrapes, think stuffing a boiled egg into a milk bottle, then immediately I’m against the hull, which must be Teflon coated on the inside, cause not matter how little movement I make, I slide down into the tiny space formed at the bottom. I’ve tried a yoga mat, it too immediately sides to the bottom when weight is put on it.
To install my water maker, I’m going to have to try to glass in a shelf somehow.
You guys with your big, nice new boats just don’t know how good you have it .

Actually proud for you, you guys enjoy it.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:17   #1549

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Squishing into tight spaces to install equipment is something that I, and I suspect every boat owner, is familiar with so I feel your pain A64pilot.

Water maker membranes are an awkward shape to fit on a boat, but they only very occasionally need attention. Make sure you can access the filters easily though. You will invariably spill some salt water when changing these so be careful there is no equipment below that can be damaged. Ideally, there should be is provision for a bowl or tray to catch any salt water.

Anyway, the lazerette is difficult to photograph, but here is our water maker tray viewed through one of the cockpit hatches. You can see the steps down and the tread plate floor.

noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:33   #1550

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Noelex,

She is a thing of great beauty. The watermaker compartment is superb.

Ann
Old 11-10-2017, 11:24   #1551

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

The most vital bit of galley equipment was installed today - the pizza cooking device aka the stove or cooker .

We have gone for a three burner GN Espace Ocean Chef. In the design phase I had a few requirements with the installation:
Most critically, free swinging space to at least 45° (recommended angle for ocean sailing).
Room to fit my elbow in at the sides and base so the cavity could be cleaned without accumulating any more battle scars .
The top of the protective guards should preferably line up with the top of the stove (spoons and spatulas are generally long handled for practical reasons and I find it ergonomically better if the top of the stove is a bit lower than bench height).

This has all been achieved. Many thanks to the KM team and especially the technician who took care installing this, first building a mock supporting frame to ensure he had it right. This will be a much used bit of equipment.

This is how it looks. I left a thank you message taped to the top of the stove after seeing it today. A tantalising glimpse of the floor can be seen:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2108.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	157571  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 13:33   #1552

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
The most vital bit of galley equipment was installed today - the pizza cooking device aka the stove or cooker .
It starts to look like a home.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 14:24   #1553
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Love the attention to details that make a good boat......
...a "special" boat!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 15:43   #1554

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

noelex 77, you may be interested in a modification an owner of an Alures 45 made to a cockpit locker lid. He made arrangements to store winch handles and manual bilge pump handle in a really neat manner. At minute 3:05 of this video.

DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 00:28   #1555

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
It starts to look like a home.
Yes, very much .

For me, there was actually a very noticeable shift in perception when our previous boat was sold in March. Loyalties were no longer divided and the concept of what was "home" shifted.

With the finish fast approaching, I am now thinking of the little touches I will add on delivery: artwork (I need to source some polycarbonate to replace glass) and soft furnishings such as cushions and patchwork quilts. This will truly make the boat feel like our home rather than just a sailing machine . There will be no decorations otherwise. The timber work will feature on its own. I vastly prefer an uncluttered look and it makes life easier if there are no loose objects to secure each time we pick up anchor. I may bring a small favourite rug from Australia for the pilothouse our next visit back.

Getting very excited .

SWL

Old 12-10-2017, 03:58   #1556

Boat: Tartan 40

Remind us when you hope to launch?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:28   #1557

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Remind us when you hope to launch?
Sometime next month .

SWL

Old 17-10-2017, 20:24   #1558

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

So, looking around on Youtube.....what do I see? Someone's boat getting the lid put on.

I now expect better updates with video from you two!

Matt
Old 18-10-2017, 07:12   #1559

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Quote:

We have gone for a three burner GN Espace Ocean Chef. In the design phase I had a few requirements with the installation:
Most critically, free swinging space to at least 45° (recommended angle for ocean sailing).
Room to fit my elbow in at the sides and base so the cavity could be cleaned without accumulating any more battle scars .
The top of the protective guards should preferably line up with the top of the stove (spoons and spatulas are generally long handled for practical reasons and I find it ergonomically better if the top of the stove is a bit lower than bench height).

This has all been achieved. Many thanks to the KM team and especially the technician who took care installing this, first building a mock supporting frame to ensure he had it right. This will be a much used bit of equipment.

This is how it looks. I left a thank you message taped to the top of the stove after seeing it today. A tantalising glimpse of the floor can be seen:
Hello SWL,

I have the same cooker on my boat. Be aware that the exterior SS finish is quite prone to rusting. Vinegar is occasionally good enough otherwise muriatic acid will be needed.

I thought it would be better quality given the formidable cost.. not sure why they are the chosen brand for Oysters....

GL
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 09:47   #1560

Boat: Lagoon 42

Quote:
Sometime next month .

SWL
oh !! .. can I quietly take a few pics ?
ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote