Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-04-2018, 18:02   #1801

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Bestevaer 49ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
A curious mind would like to know what the small black object (box) is on the deckhead above the bunk to the left of the large(ish) pole in the top photo? Looks like some sort of sensor or ???
Hi Wottie
If you mean the box that I have enlarged below, it is an outlet fot a fan. That's so I can personally avoid having to sleep in the dinghy .

SWL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6346.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	168017  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 18:11   #1802

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The same outlets can be seen next to the ceiling hatches in this one of Arthur's photos:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6344.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	352.3 KB
ID:	168019  

Old 12-04-2018, 18:36   #1803

a little off topic, but I've always thought an all boat air circulation system would be ideal

something like ducts run along the inside of the hull / deck joint. set it up so it can either recirculate or pull fresh air from cockpit etc
packeteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 18:42   #1804
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Hi Wottie
If you mean the box that I have enlarged below, it is an outlet fot a fan. That's so I can personally avoid having to sleep in the dinghy .

SWL
Every answer raises 10 questions

Crikey, it's small for a fan outlet, you better make that dinghy comfortable!

So does it push pressurised air into the cabin (like the outlets above a aircraft cabin seat or is a fan attached to this outlet and thus sucks air from the cabin to the outside?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 18:52   #1805

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by packeteer View Post
a little off topic, but I've always thought an all boat air circulation system would be ideal

something like ducts run along the inside of the hull / deck joint. set it up so it can either recirculate or pull fresh air from cockpit etc
Yes, the principal of natural ventilation is ideal, but extra ducts would be a potential source of water ingress. Hatches work well at anchor, but need to be positioned (and the lids oriented correctly) to give good airflow.

Having an unobstructed straight line between hatches helps promote flow. In the owners' cabin we can achieve this by leaving the doors to the shower and toilet open, plus the huge companionway hatch down.

Wind scoops help. Small fans are invaluable.

Old 12-04-2018, 18:55   #1806

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Every answer raises 10 questions

Crikey, it's small for a fan outlet, you better make that dinghy comfortable!

So does it push pressurised air into the cabin (like the outlets above a aircraft cabin seat or is a fan attached to this outlet and thus sucks air from the cabin to the outside?
You plug the fan into the outlet. The idea is to leave in one of the security bars on the hatches and clip the fan onto that, blowing fresh air into the cabin.

Old 12-04-2018, 19:07   #1807
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
You plug the fan into the outlet. The idea is to leave in one of the security bars on the hatches and clip the fan onto that, blowing fresh air into the cabin.
It's an electrical outlet, not a air outlet
Bear with me please, I usually get there in the end

You did say "it is an outlet fot a fan" so I was already in an interupritve mood
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 19:12   #1808

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
It's an electrical outlet, not a air outlet
Bear with me please, I usually get there in the end

You did say "it is an outlet fot a fan" so I was already in an interupritve mood
"interupritve" ?

Old 12-04-2018, 19:26   #1809

Quote:
Yes, the principal of natural ventilation is ideal, but extra ducts would be a potential source of water ingress.

I'm taking about a sealed system [emoji16]
Old 12-04-2018, 22:23   #1810

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Multiple places for fans is a great idea. Sometimes when outside temperatures and humidity are high even a good ventilation is not enough and besides fans only AC can help with that. Personally I hate AC as that is a huge energy drain and it's messing up body acclimatization.

BTW. This is one of the best threads ever, thanks!

Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 22:31   #1811

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Multiple places for fans is a great idea. Sometimes when outside temperatures and humidity are high even a good ventilation is not enough and besides fans only AC can help with that. Personally I hate AC as that is a huge energy drain and it's messing up body acclimatization.
Hi Teddy
The feeling is mutual! High humidity is really the only time I would appreciate AC. Otherwise it just feels like I am living sealed in an artificial environment, and on top of that the heat becomes super intolerable in contrast. Frequent swims combined with fans and cockpit shade work far better for me .

SWL

Old 12-04-2018, 23:21   #1812

Quote:
Originally Posted by packeteer View Post
I'm taking about a sealed system
couldn't figure out how to edit...

I meant closable. So you can be adapt to the weather. The only opening to the outside would be deck vents under the spray hood

anyway, sorry for the hijack
Old 26-04-2018, 03:51   #1813

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The normal rudder has been made immensely strong. The rudder shaft has been enlarged to a diameter of 130mm. I think an enormously strong spade rudder like this is a better choice than a skeg rudder. The yacht designer Bob Perry once quipped that on many skeg rudders the rudder is supporting the skeg, rather than the other way around .
As well as hydrodynamic advantages, a spade rudder is less likely to jam if bent than a skeg rudder, and can often be repaired or even dropped out of the boat while still in the water. It is a pity that some boat builders construct marginal spade rudders that are not ideal for cruising. As the strength and resistance to bending rises enormously as the rudder shaft diameter is increased, even a marginal increase has a significant impact.
It is imprtant with a super strong rudder such as this, that the hull support is even stronger, so the rudder will be damaged before the hull.
In addition, the rudder mechanism is separated from the rest of the boat with a wateright bulkhead, so any damage cannot sink the boat.
However, nothing is foolproof and we have a philosophy of “belt and braces” for vital systems. No system, other than hull integrity, is more important than maintaining a viable steering system. So we asked KM to supply an emergancy rudder.
This is steered with a rope system that leads to the aft cockpit winches.
A similar system was used on the original Bestevear II and apparently works well. Boats that are designed to cruise remote polar waters such as the Bestevar range, have already considered these sort of extreme emergency measures. It has application not only for hitting ice, but also for encounters with shipping containers, whales, or debris such as logs. The multiple watertight bulkheads and reinforced aluminium construction give some chance of surviving these encounters and a strong rudder, combined with an emergency steering mechanism, provide some hope of recovery from a severe situation.
The fold down swim platform has been lowered in the photo, but this would normally be raised when sailing.
The emergency rudder:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	70AA36EF-AFD8-4C42-9214-5104D14C4954.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	400.7 KB
ID:	168744  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 03:54   #1814

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Does the emergency rudder do double duty as a workbench or pantry door?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 04:22   #1815

Nice idea, but the rudder fittings aren’t going to last long....
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote