Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 24-05-2016, 00:08   #751

Re: Bestevaer 49ST

SWL I hope you will be not rushing back to your hide out in Greece when this is launched, as it will seem such a waste.

Perhaps you will instead resume the "photos of anchors" thread from somewhere like Svalbard?
Old 24-05-2016, 00:21   #752

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
SWL I hope you will be not rushing back to your hide out in Greece when this is launched, as it will seem such a waste.

Perhaps you will instead resume the "photos of anchors" thread from somewhere like Svalbard?
Although Norwegian rocks and ice are not generally my thing, we are planning to have a season up north as a shake down cruise after launching .

I may need to purchase a wetsuit though .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 00:23   #753

Up there, a drysuit might be a even better option
Old 24-05-2016, 00:27   #754
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Just thinking SW.... why not put all the photos on a sharing site and then we can see everything?
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 04:40   #755

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
As you can imagine, we have taken a few photos . so many, that I am not even sure where to start with posting images.

Randomly, this is a close up of one of the two panama leads on our stern. It has only been roughly tack welded, but the second photo we took of a 45 footer currently under construction shows how it will finally look:

Is there anything in particular anyone would like to see?

SWL
"Panama lead" -- so that's what it's called!! I've been breaking my head over that -- best I could come up with was "chock" which didn't seem right.

Looks wonderful!!!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 09:26   #756

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

mmmmmmmmmmmm delicious panama leads
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 10:14   #757
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

It is a "fairlead". A Panamalead is a fairlead to be used for the cables to the "mules" of the Panama Canal. For many ships, these are different fairleads than those used for mooring.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 11:00   #758

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Just thinking SW.... why not put all the photos on a sharing site and then we can see everything?
Hi Weave
Our internet is far too slow to load dozens (make that hundreds ) of photos. It would take days to do that now and I could never keep that up over the build period .

Also, without any explanations, I think most people's eyes would start to glaze over after a session staring at the jigsaw of pieces.

SWL

Old 24-05-2016, 21:06   #759

Boat: Under construction

I only stumbled on this thread last night and it managed to keep me occupied well into the wee hours.
It appears that it is going to be a spectacular and well thought out boat and I wish SWL and Noelex all the very best with it. I have picked up a lot of ideas that i will put into my own boat.
A question, that may have been addressed and i may have missed, is what type of toilet system will be used on the boat? Will it be manual or electric with a holding tank, or will it be a composting type?
I am loving the photos of the build and am incredibly impressed by the quality of the construction thus far.
This thread is one of the very few that hasn't turned into the usual CF p&$$ing contest where one person's opinion is the only one allowed and if you dont agree with me then I will attack your stance on politics, anchors, guns and question your parentage. 51 pages and no vitriolous attacks, Surely a new record for CF!
P.S. I voted for a generator! I am installing a variable speed generator off the front of the crank via a flexible coupling that will charge my LIPO's very rapidly when under motor.
Chris66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 22:49   #760

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris66 View Post
I only stumbled on this thread last night and it managed to keep me occupied well into the wee hours.
It appears that it is going to be a spectacular and well thought out boat and I wish SWL and Noelex all the very best with it. I have picked up a lot of ideas that i will put into my own boat.
A question, that may have been addressed and i may have missed, is what type of toilet system will be used on the boat? Will it be manual or electric with a holding tank, or will it be a composting type?
I am loving the photos of the build and am incredibly impressed by the quality of the construction thus far.
This thread is one of the very few that hasn't turned into the usual CF p&$$ing contest where one person's opinion is the only one allowed and if you dont agree with me then I will attack your stance on politics, anchors, guns and question your parentage. 51 pages and no vitriolous attacks, Surely a new record for CF!
P.S. I voted for a generator! I am installing a variable speed generator off the front of the crank via a flexible coupling that will charge my LIPO's very rapidly when under motor.

Hi Chris
What are you building and where?

Out sole toilet is a manual Lavac with a holding tank. Hose run is short and uncomplicated, the holding tank is easily accessible and removable and it exits straight down to a 2" standpipe (as well as up to the pump out). I won't enter the heated "paper in or bagged" debate .

We have been slowly picking up ideas for a few decades and this thread has been very useful for us as well. Thanks everyone.

How a boat will be used, as well as individual needs, likes and budget, drive choices.
eg I don't think there is should be any dogmatic views when it comes to generator vs solar. Each have pros and cons. We have lived with solar for 8 years and it just suits us perfectly. One of those matches made in heaven . For other sailors like Dockhead, clearly an all electric system will suit his needs best. Each to his own. I know needs change with time, but trying to cover all bases can often mean nothing turns out working optimally.

I won't repeat the reasons solar works well for us. I think about twenty pages of this thread were spent trying to convince us to install a generator. I need to give credit for persistence .

SWL

Old 24-05-2016, 23:51   #761

Boat: Under construction

Hi SWL. I am building a bruce Roberts 39 pilothouse. I am moving it to Melbourne (Cheltenham) shortly, it should have happened last year but life and death got in the way. I will also have substantial solar and also wind. I agree that individual boats need to suit the individual's needs. I will be dependant on making a living while cruising so will have a a fully equipped workshop to enable me to do so, hence the need for a generator for me.
I am glad you have elected for the deck stepped mast as the dry bilge is why we love metal boats (mine is steel).
Dinghy storage is a headache for me as much as it is for you, probably more so as i have 10 feet less to play with. I thought the garage you have on your current boat is terrific however I cannot make it work with the stern of my boat and the windvane. I have resorted to looking at different options for the dinghy. I have a 10 foot inflatable with plywood floor panels. The panels will store easily under a bench and double as storm boards over the cockpit windows when the custard hits the fan, and the dinghy itself will roll up and store away. However, I really want a tender with a hard bottom to enable it to be dragged over rocks etc. I have considered an aluminium tinny that could easily be inverted to become a bimini beneath the solar panels, but i dont think i have enough height below the boom. I have also considered having a tinny custom built, with a removable seat and transom, to nest over the forward end of the raised saloon. I will therefore watch with interest to see what you ultimately end up with.
Chris.
Chris66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 01:08   #762

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris66 View Post
Hi SWL. I am building a bruce Roberts 39 pilothouse. I am moving it to Melbourne (Cheltenham) shortly, it should have happened last year but life and death got in the way. I will also have substantial solar and also wind. I agree that individual boats need to suit the individual's needs. I will be dependant on making a living while cruising so will have a a fully equipped workshop to enable me to do so, hence the need for a generator for me.
I am glad you have elected for the deck stepped mast as the dry bilge is why we love metal boats (mine is steel).
Dinghy storage is a headache for me as much as it is for you, probably more so as i have 10 feet less to play with. I thought the garage you have on your current boat is terrific however I cannot make it work with the stern of my boat and the windvane. I have resorted to looking at different options for the dinghy. I have a 10 foot inflatable with plywood floor panels. The panels will store easily under a bench and double as storm boards over the cockpit windows when the custard hits the fan, and the dinghy itself will roll up and store away. However, I really want a tender with a hard bottom to enable it to be dragged over rocks etc. I have considered an aluminium tinny that could easily be inverted to become a bimini beneath the solar panels, but i dont think i have enough height below the boom. I have also considered having a tinny custom built, with a removable seat and transom, to nest over the forward end of the raised saloon. I will therefore watch with interest to see what you ultimately end up with.
Chris.
Dinghy storage is a real headache for anything other than monster sized boats. Having shredded the bottoms of a couple of soft dinghies on coral in years gone by, a hard bottom was vital for us.

Also, with spending all our time at anchor, the dinghy is in daily use and we need a very easy system for launching it. Nothing will be as simple as our current boat though with the dinghy pulled up onto the transom, and I will miss that .

With needing an arc for all our solar panels, the decision was simplified on the new boat, as the dinghy can be hoisted under the arc for short journeys (not optimum for performance sailing or aesthetics, but very functional). The dinghy will otherwise fit neatly inverted between the mast and staysail (see the faint dotted line on the plans). There are tie down loops welded on the deck to secure it there.

SWL

Old 25-05-2016, 01:18   #763

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
I second Panope.. every picture! But the details I would most love to see are the way they connect the longitudinals to the watertight bulkheads. It seems like a very clever solution from what I have seen so far.
A few shots of this for you. They are all high definition, so just click the top bar for full size and zoom in.

The front of the watertight bulkhead at frame 4:

The rear of the watertight bulkhead at frame 4:

The rear of the watertight bulkhead at frame 16. You can see the rear of the bulkhead at frame 9 in the background:

Old 25-05-2016, 01:49   #764

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

How fast she grows, and with such below the skin beauty...

Each new set of photos brings forth greater appreciation for their workmanship and incidentally, speed.

I'm kinda addicted to Western Red Cedar, but with this sort of construction I could be converted!

Jim
Old 25-05-2016, 02:21   #765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
With needing an arc for all our solar panels, the decision was simplified on the new boat, as the dinghy can be hoisted under the arc for short journeys (not optimum for performance sailing or aesthetics, but very functional). The dinghy will otherwise fit neatly inverted between the mast and staysail (see the faint dotted line on the plans). There are tie down loops welded on the deck to secure it there.

I respectfully disagree that hoisting a dingy to the back of the boat is unattractive. Your boat is designed and built to explore the world and see the sights while keeping you safe and comfortable. How you store the boat is a compromise that maximises comfort and safety. I think a dingy no matter where it is stored and any boat in any condition that is used and loved is a sight to behold and will surprise and delight more so then any perfect looking boat that "looks the part"

They have history, a story and they show it. They also have owners that love them not because they are expensive or fancy but because they have memories and importantly they have dreams.

You boat will be magnificent and ready to build memories and have adventures!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DreamerB is offline   Reply With Quote