Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-05-2017, 01:23   #1216

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Bestevaer 49ST

The carpenters are true craftsmen. We are vey lucky to have this team working on our boat.

This is one of the 3 timber main doors (there is also one commercial watertight door).
The outer and inner faces of these are 8mm thick Bubinga, not a thin veneer. The finish is like silk, making it irresistable to touch:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P5060243.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	417.1 KB
ID:	150998  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:33   #1217
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Id be so ticked off if it was my boat and I sank it...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 12:26   #1218

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Work is progressing fairly rapidly now. Each time we visit there are so many new things to look at .

It difficult to take a photo in the premises showing good perspective from the front and rear, but here are a couple anyway:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0370.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	430.6 KB
ID:	150997   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0371.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	414.9 KB
ID:	151087  

Old 20-05-2017, 14:08   #1219

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Very, very nice. And completion will likely coincide with great sailing weather for you to move the boat wherever you wish.

Lots of things to see from the last two pics:

The arch, as large as it clearly is, doesn't overwhelm the boat. Great.

Lifeline stanchions look tall. I hate the knee height versions. Great again.

Will you have some kind of canvas tent/bimini between the arch and the pilothouse?

The stern appears to be near vertical. Almost motor boat style. It's a different aesthetic from many sailboat sterns. Certainly makes boarding simpler, as well as optimizing space.

The boat, from the stern view looks narrower than I expected. What is the beam?

You must be jumping out of your skin in excitement. The boat looks exceptional. Wonderful. Hope to see you on the water someday.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 14:41   #1220

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I don't know if SWL is jumping out of her skin with excitement, but I sure am! Good on youse guys! And M. Besteaver.

Ann
Old 20-05-2017, 15:39   #1221

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
You must be jumping out of your skin in excitement. The boat looks exceptional. Wonderful. Hope to see you on the water someday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
I don't know if SWL is jumping out of her skin with excitement, but I sure am! Good on youse guys! And M. Besteaver.

Ann
Yes, I am super excited . I feel incredibly lucky that we are able to commission this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
Very, very nice. And completion will likely coincide with great sailing weather for you to move the boat wherever you wish.

Lots of things to see from the last two pics:

The arch, as large as it clearly is, doesn't overwhelm the boat. Great.

Lifeline stanchions look tall. I hate the knee height versions. Great again.

Will you have some kind of canvas tent/bimini between the arch and the pilothouse?

The stern appears to be near vertical. Almost motor boat style. It's a different aesthetic from many sailboat sterns. Certainly makes boarding simpler, as well as optimizing space.

The boat, from the stern view looks narrower than I expected. What is the beam?
We are very happy with the arch too. This will be a solar run boat, so a large area was needed for the solar panels and there was always the risk that it would look overwhelming.

There are pots on both the rear of the cabin top and the combing on both sides to fit a frame for the bimini, plus the design allows for the rear of the bimini to attach to the front of the frame for the solar panels, so we have a few options. We won't bother will a full enclosure, as the pilothouse is extra large and all we will need if the weather is bad.

A boom tent system as we had before will cover the pilothouse at anchor. With the big expanse of windows this will be essential in the tropics.

The beam is 4.4m, so yes, it is a bit narrower than the current trend. Probably the biggest thing is that the width is not carried back as far as it is on boats that are optimised for internal space. Because we are only fitting out the central 9m (3m at each end is for external storage) and the pilothouse/galley/saloon is open plan, I think there is no sensation of living in a long skinny space though. That is something I wanted to avoid.

This is a photo taken from the pilothouse looking forward giving a good idea of how wide it will "feel".
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P5190420.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	429.4 KB
ID:	150996  

Old 20-05-2017, 16:59   #1222
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It is one of the few single hull sailing vessels that I like. Possibly because is not 'traditional'. It has a modern edgy look, possibly because is European and appeals to me, is totally functional and 'solid'. I also like to fly the 'Heavies' as opposed to small jets and I had 30 foot plus RVs...

It is an amazing mix of design that is a good balance...

Love it..
Old 20-05-2017, 18:15   #1223
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I liked the "Preferred Suppliers" sign.....hope you are getting a discount[emoji6]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 18:16   #1224

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
We are debating the detail of interior finishes. If you have any photos of your boat please post them.

Our build will not happen for a little while yet. We are just in the design stage. Lots of decisions to make so I am hoping the forum can help, hence this introductory post.

When the actual build happens, there will be lots of photos.
Congratulations on your adventure. It might be too heavy, but if you are going for the Herreshof look, jatoba is a trim wood worth considering. Natural deep red brown, and resists dinting. I finished Delfin in jatoba and couldn't be happier, 10 years later. Happy to post a photo or two if you're interested.

P.s.apologies, as I didn't see that I was entering an old thread. Splendid looking boat and I'm happy you have progressed so quickly!
Delfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 18:53   #1225
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
It is one of the few single hull sailing vessels that I like. Possibly because is not 'traditional'. It has a modern edgy look, possibly because is European and appeals to me, is totally functional and 'solid'. I also like to fly the 'Heavies' as opposed to small jets and I had 30 foot plus RVs...

It is an amazing mix of design that is a good balance...

Love it..
Might be because the final design has been influenced by a couple of cruisers who know what is needed and what isn't rather than a marketing salesperson.

Might also be because the cruisers who commissioned the build have a seriously good concept of nautical taste.

Just saying...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 00:06   #1226

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I liked the "Preferred Suppliers" sign.....hope you are getting a discount[emoji6]
Our project is too small for special signs . That one was a general one left over from Open Day.

Building a custom boat like this means KM will put in any brand of equipment you wish to use. This applies both to large items such as the engine, down to tiny details such as the battery switches, catches, lights etc. This means the owner is very involved in the building process, but it also means lots of research to find the best gear.

For items where you don't have a strong preference, I think it is helpful to use one of the suppliers the yard has a good relationship with, as it keeps costs down and may help with warranty issues. So it is good to find a builder you are roughly on the same wavelength with .

SWL

Old 21-05-2017, 00:23   #1227

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Congratulations on your adventure. It might be too heavy, but if you are going for the Herreshof look, jatoba is a trim wood worth considering. Natural deep red brown, and resists dinting. I finished Delfin in jatoba and couldn't be happier, 10 years later. Happy to post a photo or two if you're interested.

P.s.apologies, as I didn't see that I was entering an old thread. Splendid looking boat and I'm happy you have progressed so quickly!
Thank Delfin .

Jatoba is a beautiful timber too and similar to Bubinga when it comes to hardness, colour and rot resistance. This is the first time I have heard of it being used on a cruising yacht (same goes with Bubinga as well, actually). I would love to see photos of the timber you used on Delfin, so please post photos. I am a huge fan of beautiful wood .

Our solid wood trim is not in yet, but this is some of it waiting to be fitted:

http://i1377.photobucket.com/albums/...psjcdonqic.jpg

Old 21-05-2017, 00:32   #1228
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Might be because the final design has been influenced by a couple of cruisers who know what is needed and what isn't rather than a marketing salesperson.

Might also be because the cruisers who commissioned the build have a seriously good concept of nautical taste.

Just saying...
Well whatever the reason, and Im sure Noelex and Seaworthy incorporated sailing knowledge into the design, from the hull up there is something that presents itself as a serious solid feel to the vessel. I took a look at all the mono designs that I would feel comfortable on, and they ALL have this quality.

This is the first Aluminium boat I like. It has really subtle curvacious lines yet retains a look of purposefulness and ability. I think there is mild feel of ocean trawler about it..

If you just look at the sequenced photos on the web site at the top. Bestevaer / KM Yachtbuilders
You can see that this design look is throughout the series of vessels from the design mind of Gerard Dijkstra ...

So very beautiful.

If i had to pick one type of hull and design, I would forsake all others and go for this almost military Hull look... a "cut through" anything look.

Love it.
Old 21-05-2017, 01:32   #1229

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Well whatever the reason, and Im sure Noelex and Seaworthy incorporated sailing knowledge into the design, from the hull up there is something that presents itself as a serious solid feel to the vessel. I took a look at all the mono designs that I would feel comfortable on, and they ALL have this quality.

This is the first Aluminium boat I like. It has really subtle curvacious lines yet retains a look of purposefulness and ability. I think there is mild feel of ocean trawler about it..

If you just look at the sequenced photos on the web site at the top. Bestevaer / KM Yachtbuilders
You can see that this design look is throughout the series of vessels from the design mind of Gerard Dijkstra ...

So very beautiful.

If i had to pick one type of hull and design, I would forsake all others and go for this almost military Hull look... a "cut through" anything look.

Love it.
That appealed to us too, so we have similar taste to you .
The basic hull design of the Bestevaers is for a sturdy, "no nonsense" boat, without being slow. Form primarily follows function, but for me the lines have still been kept pleasing to the eye and should hopefully not date too quickly. It does share some characteristics with traditional Dutch vessels.

The sky is almost the limit when it comes to interior, athough of course the restricted space does mean there are limitations. Check out the images on KM's website for yachts such as Tranquilo or Katharos. Totally unrecognisable from what most people would consider Bestevaer's "signature look".

When it came to designing this boat, the only things we altered with the exterior shape were extending the pilothouse and adding a solar arch. Thrilled with how this looks in the flesh.

Our interior layout is unique, although it does share characteristics with an assortment of other Bestevaers. I remember looking at images of one of KM's 65 footers (Lady Ann) and thinking that was the feel I wanted for the main living space . A very hard thing to achieve in a 49 footer, but I am just thrilled how this has turned out too. It is just exactly as I envisaged.

Regarding the interior design, we opted not to go with the professional service offered, so we are responsible for selecting the style and finishes. We are going with an eclectic mix of old and new: the "traditional" hull lining and ceilings used in other Bestevaers, but cleaner lines for the timber work, without being too stark. In addition, the timber is solid, which is less apparent in photos, but this creates a very solid feel to the simple design.

This is the saloon table that was completed last week. It is hard to label this style, but I would call it "classic" . It has not been oiled yet, so the colour will change dramatically and the flame pattern of the grain will leap out:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0378.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	405.9 KB
ID:	150995  

Old 21-05-2017, 01:46   #1230
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
This is the saloon table that was completed last week. It is hard to label this style, but I would call it "classic" . It has not been oiled yet, so the colour will change dramatically and the flame pattern of the grain will leap out:

Curious minds want to know if it is totally finished or if you are having a "timber collar" around the edge to cover the end grain.

If not, ya better call it "semi classic"
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote