Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2017, 19:52   #1

Black water tank question

I/We are shopping around and came across a 60'+ yacht with no black water holding tanks. All the heads are plumbed overboard. How do you make this work and what are it's legalities? I may be new to all this but know you aren't gonna wanna be heaving a weeks worth of brown trout over at your anchorage or worse in a marina...

TIA,
Greg
Jetmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 20:29   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Re: Black water tank question

you install holding tanks...
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 21:39   #3

But how has this boat been on the water since the early 90's without tanks? How are they working around the issue? Is there a work around? What do you figure the costs would be to install tanks and do you do it for all or just a couple?

Thanks,
Greg
Old 25-01-2017, 23:52   #4

Boat: Currently in between

Agree with Scott, install tanks. PO may have skated but if your luck is like mine, not good. As to number, why not just one tank for one head, or if 2 heads are close to each other, 1 bigger tank for both?

Any heads not connected to a tank could then be 'locked' in the non-service position in such a way as to meet USCG or other authorities requirements. If the new, now connected head(s) have overboard dumping valves don't forget to secure those per requirements as well.

As to how it has escaped detection prior to now, some people just have all the luck I suppose.. or, Do the heads now lock in some sort of non-service mode while in port?
Old 26-01-2017, 07:31   #5

Thanks all for the responses. Not sure about them locking now but didn't figure they would be legit in today's world. Supposedly this boat was in some kind of private charter service which is odd to just dump overboard.

Oh well thanks again,
Greg
Old 26-01-2017, 07:43   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It's legal as long as the bathroom doors are locked so they cannot be used.
Of course then no one is allowed to go to the bathroom within three miles of land or in a no discharge zone.
Is this boat in the US?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 08:59   #7

Boat: Taswell 43

We had a single tank for 2 heads, but the long line connecting the furthest head would always get clogged/plugged.......and it's no fun pulling that long line out to either replace or try to open up. We installed a second tank, very near that head. So far-4 years and counting-a much better solution.
PS we made the 2nd tank out of close-linked polypropylene....not expensive, light, easy to work, and it does not corrode!
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 09:04   #8

The seacocks can be locked or as mentioned the head door locked. Some people just install small tanks to be legal. Some boats never got changed over and never got inspected thru luck.
Custom size plastic tanks are available and not expensive.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 10:13   #9

Thanks all. I was thinking this would be an expensive retrofit after the fact. The boat is in the UK or mainland Europe has been through the Caribe as well as the US. I really thought of just writing it off but seems like now it may still be viable.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 26-01-2017, 10:31   #10

Well, let's not minimize it, installing tanks and valves and systems can be a real challenge. But often doable with enough energy and money...

Old 26-01-2017, 10:37   #11

Boat: PDQ 36

I would install composting toilets. Probably cost you less than installing a tank and it's more environmentally friendly, in my opinion. Personally, I'd rather deal with the compost than a tank of gallons and gallons of poo.
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 10:41   #12

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmex View Post
I/We are shopping around and came across a 60'+ yacht with no black water holding tanks. All the heads are plumbed overboard. How do you make this work and what are it's legalities? I may be new to all this but know you aren't gonna wanna be heaving a weeks worth of brown trout over at your anchorage or worse in a marina...

TIA,
Greg
You may be able to install holding tanks (or one tank for all the heads) but you should get a price on having that done and take this into consideration when considering this boat.

It may be a relatively simple process or it may be extremely difficult.
Old 26-01-2017, 12:34   #13

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
We had a single tank for 2 heads, but the long line connecting the furthest head would always get clogged/plugged.
Yup, reading Peg's book right now concerning heads and odors. I believe she said about 6' is the max run you should shoot for.
Old 26-01-2017, 12:43   #14

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

You can be legal in some places if you have lockable discharge valves. I suspect that the 60 footer had holding tanks which were removed by a PO. You need to research the specific boat. You will need holding tanks. The question is the cost of installing and plumbing. If anchored in Florida the Marine Patrol might not find a Porta-potty acceptable. I know they will not accept a bucket and a story.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 12:53   #15

The best working and simplest design I had was a plastic tank, tall, narrow and vertical mounted on a bulkhead. All pumping went to the tank. You either pumped it out or you opened the seacock below it to drain to the sea. No pumps, inches of hose instead of feet. I cant imagine a porta potti being illegal anywhere. It's a tank with no outlet to the sea.

Tags
water