Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 05:43   #1

Blue water boat, 30-36 ft, 24 000$

Hi, me and my friend are currently planning to go to US this January to buy a sailboat. The plan is to cruise the Pacific ocean for a year. Maybe, if we have enough cash, well do a circumnavigation. We're flying to LA this Jan. We're either going from california or from Floria wich seems better from sailing point of view because one of our main goals is Pitcarin Island
So, right now we're trying to find out wich boat or boats to look for. 24 000$ is probably a good price since we need to afford all the equipment and the travel itself.
I'm currently looking at cheep Islander 36 boats. But maybe all you nice forum members know better? We have about three months 24-7 work to get it in shape for the Pacific so we can't buy a wreck.
It must be a safe traveler but we also want comfort and a fast vessel. So the best compromise would be??...
Cheers from Sweden

EDIT: Keel stepped mast is preferable
frelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:21   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Your budget is rather limited for this venture but others have done it with less. Don't know if you'll get anything that's decent in the 36 foot range for that money. You might have to move down to something like a Contessa 26, they can be had for about $10,000.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:02   #3

Contessa 26 would be too small for few guys. My choice would be older Cape Dory 30, Alberg 30, Allied seawind 30. I'm looking something like that in the same price range to make Carribean cruising and then ... By the way,-under which flag you will be sailing? I'm lithuanian living in US and trying to find out which flag is the best to sail under.
The Pitcairn is very interesting destination. Back in the high school days Fletcher Christian was my hero. Goog luck.
Renis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:30   #4

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by frelin View Post
must be a safe traveler but we also want comfort and a fast vessel...

If a couple of guys could be happy on a smaller boat, I’ve vote for the Contessa as well… something about transom hung rudders; however, the Alberg-esque suggestions have about 30% more carrying ability (plus/minus) and pretty much an equal track-record – both for seaworthiness and seakindliness… and reputations for being to maintain reasonable speed…

Any of those boats should more than get the job done, the consideration is that all are decidedly in the (well) used boat market so condition will probably mean as much or more than the design and one should probably budget a reasonable amount of time to make sure the major structural areas (rig/sails/lines, bulkheads, seacocks, etc., etc…) are up to snuff… and that could take a month at least – or a sizeable cash-outlay…

Am jealous of the Pitcairn agenda – for some reason that has always been on my list of places I’d like to visit…
Old 12-09-2008, 10:52   #5

Boats looking nice but some problems I guess. I think we need a quarter berth which none of the boats had. I really liked the cape dory 33 but then the price was to high. I think maby a 32 foot boat would be good.... What about the morgan out island 33 or the Islander 32? are they reliable? I crossed the atlantic in a MOI 41 and I liked the boat. in addison to the 24k we have 15k for repair and upgrades. We would like a good life raft, Satalite phone, Epirb, a drouge and a couple of other stuff. We're currently working to save money and because complicated tax rules here we might get more money during the trip but nothing we can count on. Also we will have some paying crew and possibly some sponsors
Since it's not possible to import the boat to sweden I think we'll sail and american vessel... is there any benefits to register the boat, lest say in panama?
We're arriving in jan. We can only stay three months cuz of the visa in US and also the tropical storms etc. Is there any difference in buying boat in California verses Florida?
Cheers
frelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:02   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Frelin,
Don't rule out Pearsons. They are pretty good boats and you can get older ones for a reasonable price. Check out www.yachtworld.com.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:06   #7

Boat: Bristol 38.8
I saw a very nice Southern Cross 34 for sale in Maine. It's listed for slightly more than you want to pay, but maybe the seller will take less, and the ad says the seller will also consider a lease with option to buy.

These are very, very solidly built boats. I almost bought a Southern Cross 31.

1975 Southern Cross Cutter Boat For Sale
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 13:07   #8

You cannot register vessel under US flag, since you are not US citizens (just like me). So, there is no other way, just to register under different flag. Not sure which is the best and cheapiest. I'm doing some research on this topic. As far as I know you will not be requaired to pay US sales taxes. And once you enter EU waters, you'll have to pay VAT.
Renis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 13:25   #9

Boat: Bristol 38.8
If you bought a boat on the U.S. Atlantic coast, it probably would make sense to flag it in the BVI or another Carribean jurisdiction.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 14:34   #10

Boat: Easterly 36 Aft Cabin
I know a guy selling a Endevour 37 cutter rig in your price range. Radar and shortwave work. PM me.
Old 12-09-2008, 18:55   #11

I have an Islander 36 in VA with an asking price only slightly higher than what you want to spend. It has Radar, a chart plotter, etc. I have asked the broker to get a couple of little things fixed that broke on the last two week trip, just a stantion and a clevis, but the Islander with its 6' draft is a lot of fun and sails well.
Decktapper
decktapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 20:58   #12

Boat: Cal 2-27 liveaboard and Moore 24 racer
My buddy's ex-wife is selling his old Islander 36. I think it's 27 grand, and it's got a watermaker and what not. I have never sailed on it, but knowing Ed, it's probably pretty well thought out. Location is San Diego, CA. you can PM me if you are interested, and I could give you her contact info. I don't think it's on a big site like yachtworld, it's just listed locally.
Old 13-09-2008, 01:39   #13

Boat: Southerly UK 37ft
You can try to look for a DUFOR 35ft year 1988 for this price, not easy to find, but a strong boat for the right price. you mighthave to put in a new YANMAR 40HP engine . cost 7000 Dollars.
migot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 19:13   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by frelin View Post
Boats looking nice but some problems I guess. I think we need a quarter berth which none of the boats had. I really liked the cape dory 33 but then the price was to high. I think maby a 32 foot boat would be good.... What about the morgan out island 33 or the Islander 32? are they reliable? I crossed the atlantic in a MOI 41 and I liked the boat. in addison to the 24k we have 15k for repair and upgrades. We would like a good life raft, Satalite phone, Epirb, a drouge and a couple of other stuff. We're currently working to save money and because complicated tax rules here we might get more money during the trip but nothing we can count on. Also we will have some paying crew and possibly some sponsors
Since it's not possible to import the boat to sweden I think we'll sail and american vessel... is there any benefits to register the boat, lest say in panama?
We're arriving in jan. We can only stay three months cuz of the visa in US and also the tropical storms etc. Is there any difference in buying boat in California verses Florida?
Cheers
Islander 32Mk2 is a very nice boat. I own one currently docked in Ft. Lauderdale and it will be going on the market soon.

But the quarter berth is very cramped, so if anyone sleeping in it is bigger than 150 pounds or so, it probably won't work for you. Great for kids, but not for larger adults.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2008, 19:23   #15

Alberg 30
Rawson 30
Morgan Out Islands
Any of the old Pearsons with names, not numbers
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote