Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2010, 05:26   #121

Boat: Fisher-25 motorsailer
MY DREAM BOAT (of course used one)

AMEL Sharki
KANTER 47
storyinframes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 06:17   #122

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch
Beneteau

MarkJ has just circumnavigated in a Beneteau. Proves it was always a bluewater boat no-matter what all the Beneteau bashers had to say. Probably just jealous they did not have one.
Clyde
Old 23-12-2010, 07:35   #123

its a strange dichotomy. some of excellent sailboats like Malo, Amel, Najads are way too expensive and are bought by millionaires (generally). Millionaires (generally) dont go cruising all over the world.
and the above boats are out of reach for most of the budget cruisers. And they seem to have done well with low cost production boats.
Its boathandling and seamanship that matters more.

Well done MarcJ, congratulations!

Anyways, what's the harm in 'dreaming' about a fine crafted swedish boat :-)
Old 23-12-2010, 16:45   #124

Boat: Pearson 40
The South African boat link posted a few pages back looks like a solid, purpose built boat for going to sea. Price is right especially the "make offers" phrase. South Africa gets some nasty weather and most of their boats biolt there reflect this...

I also experienced some lightweight production boat issues at sea, like complete separation of main bulkheads in 35kts. They were not attached properly to the deck and hull. Oh and one of the lowers pulled the chainplate out about 1/2" .

Some boats like the Hunters are moslty coastal cruisers and Hunter states this.
silverp40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 16:57   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
MarkJ has just circumnavigated in a Beneteau. Proves it was always a bluewater boat no-matter what all the Beneteau bashers had to say. Probably just jealous they did not have one.
Clyde
Beneteau claims more of their boats cross oceans than any other brand. I believe it.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 18:14   #126
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
rofl..markj got lucky..lol...and can sail anything. he just proved it..... ...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 22:33   #127

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 40, "Dove", CT 35 "Flying Cloud"
Hope I'm not speaking out of turn here but I reckon that in this buyers market it seems best not to set your sights too narrow. Be open to whats available in the way of great deals (read: steals). Every marina I spoke to here in SoCal. from Oceanside to Chula Vista had "Lien Sale" boats (owners stopped paying their slip fees) available for a remarkable price. Yes I had the usual criteria: big enough to be comfortable for liveaboard on the hook but still manageable for singlehanding, handling plenty of sails while running like a train in bluewater. Looked at a lot of nice boats in various states of desirability; some owner had yanked the expensive radios/electronics and walked away, some sat too long and were covered in sea gull **** (but would clean up) and many were too new, too fragile, too small. But she was there waiting for me; my beautiful Offshore 40 for, well I shouldn't say but well under 10K. For me the perfect boat, comfortable, capable, classy, and has already circumnavigated at least once. The downside, if you can call it that, is that I get to go through every system. Have gone through the Perkins engine which ran, upgraded the sanitation system with new hoses and head, next is the electrical which is already not too bad and then on to rigging. Doing the work myself while living aboard has been a fantastic experience, the other yacht folks around me are the coolest people I've ever met, helpful, knowledgeable and generous. Why didn't I do this a long time ago (oh yeah, had to wait for my youngest son to leave home). When the weather is nice I'm working on the teak and rigging. When its less so I'm inside working on those systems. I love that when I set out next year there will no one to wag the accusing finger at saying "that guy forgot to tighten that or do this". That 'guy' will be in the mirror and there will be nothing on this beautiful boat I don't know. Start with a boat with good bones, built right and all there and don't be afraid to roll up your sleeves. You'll save a bundle of beer money you can spend later. Best of all you'll have the confidence of knowing your boat inside and out. The deals, the deals!
Cheers,
Ken
Ken Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 23:03   #128

It is just like restaurants, you can choose 2 of 3, fast, good or cheap, not all 3. Most of the people on here have to make a choice between those options, some have the financial resources and don't. I don't think anyone will argue that with the right amount of money you get a boat that is higher quality and can be fast as well as very durable. A production beneteau or Catalina can go around the world, but I would also bet that the owners are more cautious to choose good weather windows. Some of your slower heavy displacement boats don't have to worry about that as much. Some of your expensive, fast, longer boats have speed and higher quality components, not rocket science. For most of us, like me, you make a choice. Some people say you are cruising and who cares about speed and choose the boat that is heavy and can handle rougher weather, sometimes more easily, again going to quality of constriction and design. Some people choose a medium displacement boat that Is an arguably better sailor in light winds and so on. If you have tons of money, pick the perfect boat, if you are like most of us, pick the compromise you are comfortable with. If Markj could afford an 800k boat over his, Does anyone doubt he wouldnt have gotten it? No one says that X production boat is the idealboat, they point out it can do it, and of course it can, with good weather windows and a good skipper. Look at Markj's trip into the Caribbean and his handling of a bad situation. You can argue that another more expensive boat may not have had the problem or you can focus on the fact that a good skipper knew how to handle it. I wouldn't have chosen my boat if I could afford something costing 8 times as much. Almost any boat can make the trip, it is up to the captain to decide his comfort level, budget, etc, and the rest of the discussion doesn't make much sense to me, it always comes down to people with different comfort levels, levels of experience, or different budgets arguing, which will never meet a common answer. My 2 cents, get what u pay for.
lawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2010, 23:31   #129

Boat: Hardin 45 Voyager Alice B., Gig Harbor 10, Orca 7 1/2 sloop, 16' sea kayak
Unfortunately we have to sell our dream bluewater boat in the spring, and it's in your price range. Our family has outgrown it with the addition of a couple of grandchildren, and we needed more tankage and births NO berths. Shes expensive to park at a marina (44loa) but a dream on the hook or underway. She will be sorely missed. Lueza is a Hans Christian 34T, don't worry if you've never heard of it, it was the original design they knocked the 36 off of.
capnorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 22:11   #130
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Beneteau claims more of their boats cross oceans than any other brand. I believe it.
There is something to be said for mass production, like if you make the most high-end production boats long enough then more of the people who can afford to outfit a boat and make ocean crossing will use your boat. But what % of the Beneteaus built are used in major passages. The statistics of yours refer to boat production companies of recent years. Not naval architects and the boats they influenced before the invention of plastic (my boat was designed 75 years ago by a man who was famous for his ocean cruisers then, like the INGRID).
Old 25-12-2010, 11:57   #131

Now that's why I get paranoid sometimes. will my little boat carry me safely through this?
Old 25-12-2010, 12:14   #132
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Sure she will.... for a start your boats a cork by comparison... you wont be doing any speed into the weather... as a matter of fact if you've any sense you'll be hove to with minimum sail or laying ahull and snug down below with all shut and a good book... preferably in a bunk you cant get bounced out of...
Only thing you'll have to worry about is daft sods in bloody great destroyers....

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 16:04   #133

Boat: grampian 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
including but not limited to:

- undersized, poorly attached chainplates and/or other standing rigging.
- undersized and/or poor quality blocks and/or other running rigging
- no backing plates on stancions and/or deck hardware
- lack of external/internal handholds
- "gooped but not fastened" hull-to-deck joint
- minimum hull thickness
- undersized autopilot

admittedly all of these problems could be found in some of the vintage boats as well.

but, actually, most of my comment about "efficient" production techniques is meant as a compliment, not a criticism. Beneteau can build boats almost like Ford can build cars. That doesn't mean Beneteaus or Fords aren't well built.
Yes Ford builds a good car, just don't expect it last more than ten years. I suppose the same can be said for most mass produced boats.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 16:09   #134

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
Yes Ford builds a good car, just don't expect it last more than ten years. I suppose the same can be said for most mass produced boats.
Our boat is 21 this year, what do you advise I do with her?
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 16:24   #135
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Our boat is 21 this year, what do you advise I do with her?
Go Sailing........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford_15_Model_T.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	22244  

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote