Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-11-2012, 19:48   #16

Boat: Sea Sprite 34
Re: Bluewater Boat List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Is this because you are all happy your Bristol is on the list (I don't know if it is because I haven't looked at list now in years)?

Its an Alberg design.....of course its on the list.....

I am biased what can I say
1966 Alberg 300 Jante II hull #150.....preparing to get underway!
USCG 100T Master Near Coastal
Cruiser2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 20:40   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
This list seems to be geared more toward "Trailer Sailors?"
-Bruce
You must have a different definition of trailer sailers than we do in Australia. None of those would classify as such here after a quick perusal.

Coops.
Old 13-11-2012, 20:51   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
You must have a different definition of trailer sailers than we do in Australia. None of those would classify as such here after a quick perusal.

Coops.
Hi Coops, They did mention things like having a beam of no more than 8', and preferred small outboard motors. At least that is some of the gist of what I read in there.
PS, I'm talking about the second list that is in my quote.
-Bruce

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 20:59   #19

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I am in the middle of writing an ebook about extended cruising based on the experiences of many of the cruisers we have met while circumnavigating. While various lists of bluewater boats are fine and dandy, the reality of what is out here, is that there are an incredible number of different boats being used for long distance cruising.
AiniA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2012, 22:35   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
Hi Coops, They did mention things like having a beam of no more than 8', and preferred small outboard motors. At least that is some of the gist of what I read in there.
PS, I'm talking about the second list that is in my quote.
-Bruce
I looked again and yes, most have a narrow beam, and some have OB's but they nearly all have full or near full keels, which would be a bugger to trailer launch.Plus, the sheer displacement of most of those would make them not legal to tow out here without one huge tow vehicle. Our towing laws are perhaps a bit more draconian than yours.

Coops.
Old 14-11-2012, 03:33   #21

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Hey I don't care my boat isn't on a "list" and that wasn't my point at all. I read all those lists back when I was drinking the Kool Aid and before I started to judge boats by their construction and not the internet.

Heck feel free to limit yourself to those lists! After all that will reduce the number of old tank boats to chase down and prevent you from even considering most boats built after 1985. Look at all the time saved!

I remember coming across a book in the bookstore once about 20 "great" boats. The funny thing was that I had already read lots of trashing elsewhere about half the boats listed. So once your choose your list marker or book writer don't read others because that will be completely different.
I used to hang out with the monohull folks when I lived at an apartment on the water in Pensacola, FL. I was racing catamarans at the time. We always hung out on the dock though. (my catamarans 16'-20' over 15 years were on the beach)

I knew I wanted a monohull one day so I learned from these guys. Their boats included a Cape Dory 30, Tayana 37, C & C 37, Bristol 27, Catalina 27, Soverel 30, and a Pearson Triton I believe. I really liked the classic look although a higher tech boat would be nice to have one day.

A few years later, I started spenting a lot of time on the Atom Voyages Site then stumbled on this old Bristol 27 that had been on the hard for 5 years the owner having died. He had left the boat on the Eastern Shore (of VA) on his way back home from a two year cruise to Florida from Massachusetts.

I had already decided an older, slower, and stronger full keel boat would probably be better for me at first since I'd probably be running over a few docks, boats, and running aground. (we don't use engines on small racing cats, and we don't anchor or dock them) Also, I didn't know whether or not I would like these old slow boats (monohulls) so I didn't want to spent too much at first.

Long story short, I bought the Bristol 27 for $2,000 and worked on it for about a year then sailed it the 75 miles down here to Virginia Beach, and of course we were under a small craft advisory (with gusts to around 25) when I crossed the lower bay. My stomach didn't like it much, but I noticed after I got the tiller autopilot working correctly the boat wasn't having much of a problem at all. (the wind was NE and I was headed downwind with the wind on the port quarter)

This is how I found it.................see attached. I couldn't pass it up!

(It was like one of those shows on TV where they look in the barn and find a vintage classic car. This marina is WAY off the main drag and notice there was no for sale sign on the boat. I had to go ask about it)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	427.1 KB
ID:	49690  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 03:52   #22
Armchair Bucketeer

A little harsh on OP.......

........no list is ever exhaustive, but someone starting from zero knowledge would IMO find it useful - even if they end up buying something not on the list!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 06:04   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
I looked again and yes, most have a narrow beam, and some have OB's but they nearly all have full or near full keels, which would be a bugger to trailer launch.Plus, the sheer displacement of most of those would make them not legal to tow out here without one huge tow vehicle.
I guess I'll have to take another look at the list. I'm still trying to learn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops
Our towing laws are perhaps a bit more draconian than yours.
I dunno, I watched "Road Warrior." Isn't that really how everything works over there?
-Bruce

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2012, 10:47   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Ah yes, road warrior. A pirate without a boat he was....
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2012, 03:23   #25

These boats all crossed over 2100 miles of " bluewater " during various Transpac Races from San Francisco to Hawaii so I guess they need to be added to the List.

Singlehanded Transpac Race Results 1978-2008

http://sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpa..._1978-2008.pdf
Old 15-11-2012, 04:03   #26

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225
These boats all crossed over 2100 miles of " bluewater " during various Transpac Races from San Francisco to Hawaii so I guess they need to be added to the List.

Singlehanded Transpac Race Results 1978-2008

http://sfbaysss.org/TransPac/transpa..._1978-2008.pdf
..but there's a Beneteau and a Hunter on this list! ... cannot compute.. can...not...compute! (head explodes)
Old 15-11-2012, 04:16   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
..but there's a Beneteau and a Hunter on this list! ... cannot compute.. can...not...compute! (head explodes)
Well, since some felt left out, I was able to find a site with the above boats included. I believe there is a story someplace about a Catalina 27 circumnavigating also so it appears we are headed back to what a fellow said on another thread, it's the sailor, not the boat.

I still haven't found a site though that includes the Avon 6 Man Life Raft (speargun and water makers included) ala Stephen Callahan.
Old 15-11-2012, 04:31   #28

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I've owned three cruising boats (not counting the Nordic 16) and all three are on John Neal's list so it must be golden!
Old 15-11-2012, 04:40   #29
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
A couple of Hunters and one was a Hunter 54. I'm sure I have read from someone, who heard it from someone that had read somewhere a quote from a rumor that a Hunter 54 is a death trap.

I read once in a book about someone who rode out a storm in an old iron bath tub with a sheet on it for a sail. I think his name was Dirk Pitt (goggle it if you don't get it).
Old 17-11-2012, 07:29   #30

Quote:
On second thought, maybe the Transpac list isn't a legit list since it's usually just a one shot downwind or reach of around 2100 miles and that's it.

From John Neal:

Hull Construction Material

1. Fiberglass, like any material, can vary greatly from one builder to the next. The majority of fiberglass boats were never designed or built for extended ocean sailing and may eventually fall apart if pressed into this type of service. The other extreme are some designs that are heavily built, overweight and do not have the sailing performance which makes for fast and comfortable passages. Pearson Vanguards, Tritons and Alberg 35's are examples of very well built, reasonably priced early fiberglass boats. After 35 years these boats are still going strong, and now worth more than the initial selling prices. The downside of purchasing most boats over 15 years old is that you may be looking at repowering, rerigging, new sails, rewiring and repainting. The initial low purchase price may not be a bargain in the long run when you add up all the costs of refitting and updating. As with any type of boat, it is absolutely necessary to have a fiberglass boat thoroughly surveyed before purchase.