Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2018, 09:04   #1

Boat: None
pirate Bluewater cruiser suggestions for newbies

Starting the process of planning my first adventure. Been reading everything I can but with so much info it’s been difficult to narrow down boats for someone like myself. Trying to keep the initial purchase to under 30-40K and doind some refitting-to make it complete.
Would appreciate some suggestions. Trying to stay in the 30-35ft range. There will be 2 of us starting with friends visiting regularly. Planning to circumnavigate at least once.
Safety, ease of use, good in rough seas would be first thoughts. Basically if it were you... what boats would be your first choices to look at?
Thank you in advance for your thoughts and guidance!
Danvrgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 09:09   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Bluewater cruiser suggestions for newbies

Smaller sizes here, but relevant discussions and starting point links and books for further research

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-193354.html
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 09:53   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvrgs View Post
Starting the process of planning my first adventure. Been reading everything I can but with so much info it’s been difficult to narrow down boats for someone like myself. Trying to keep the initial purchase to under 30-40K and doind some refitting-to make it complete.
Would appreciate some suggestions. Trying to stay in the 30-35ft range. There will be 2 of us starting with friends visiting regularly. Planning to circumnavigate at least once.
Safety, ease of use, good in rough seas would be first thoughts. Basically if it were you... what boats would be your first choices to look at?
Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF!

You are not alone in finding it difficult to narrow down a search. Your budget will exclude many boats, and you will need to be very careful in your choices of what is in that price range to get the right boat for your plans to circumnavigate, within that budget (which has to include some refit).

Here are some links to threads I suggest you read:

Boats Less Than $30K - Noteworthy Recent Finds
I highly recommend this thread to anyone who is thinking of buying a boat for less than $100K. It will introduce you to many boats that are less than $30K, but also give you a good "base" so you can look at more expensive boats with some comparison of features, quality, layout, and condition. You might find that there are nice boats out there that may satisfy your needs for much less than expected.

Trailer Sailor and Pocket Cruiser Boats Tips Advice Examples
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-175115.html
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-147098.html

More links and suggestions if you are interested, but I just have time to post these two now.

Good luck on your boat search!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 18:38   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Well welcome to the crowd here! There was an Allied Luders 33 mentioned in the “free or almost free “ thread listed at $8500 that I thought was a really good one to check. It’s a buyer’s market so if you see a boat that piques your interest let us know and we’ll critique it!
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 18:47   #5
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

These guys put out a really helpful list of what they consider to be good bluewater boats to consider:

Mahina Expeditions - Offshore Cruising Instruction

There is also Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts : Bluewaterboats.org which does a pretty good job of reviewing and describing most bluewater boats out there.

Good luck. We had a streak of it when we found the former owners of our boat and convinced them to sell to us. It took a lot of searching, scrounging, and researching a ton of different boats before we found something that met our requirements and budget. It seems like you have your heads screwed on the right way with your starting parameters. There are a lot of great boats out there in that price range but you will have to really sift to find them amongst the stinkers. There are many of those too.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 21:46   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Your question is a good one but we can't really answer it well because it really depends on your own preferences, your own list of must-haves, where you want to go and the kinds of experience you have so far. I can say boats that I like, but everyone will have a different list. For high performance a fin keel and spade rudder are best, for cruising some prefer a long keel and the rudder hung on the keel and the ballast encapsulated, and many prefer the in-between; a skeg hung rudder and a longish fin keel. I happen to like the old school long keel and narrow beam for the way it feels and sails, though I am happy to admit the design may not be for everyone, so my thoughts go to a boat like the Rhodes 41. It is a completely impractical design, lots of length for not much boat, heels quite a bit, sails on her ear, kinda wet, not much waterline until she's heeled etc etc etc, but....
Everyone will have a different dream boat. I have a friend with a Freya 39 and that really is a good boat. Another friend with a Rafiki 37 and that one has many pluses, and a friend who had a Cal 40 which is kinda on the other end of the spectrum, and that is a great boat too. There are many many good choices, just let us know your preferences... With a budget in the 30-40K range my standard recommendation is to look at the really good older boats from the 60's. They were often built very strong and though not high performance by modern standards, many have engendered so much affection that they keep getting refitted and upgraded by crazy old farts who will face parting with them eventually... some great value and bargains in many of those IMO.
If you do a search here for bluewater cruising boat suggestions I think there are a number of threads that can help you out too. I know that the boats in this site are smaller than you may want, but the atomvoyages.com site is also a good one for boat info.
Good luck!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 22:29   #7

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danvrgs View Post
10 years ago I was living on a boat with some friends, prepping for an open-ended adventure. We ended up sailing from NYC to Key West, hung out for a few months, and decided to turn back around. There were 5 of us on a 39'. 2 of us wanted to keep going but 3 wanted to get back to normalcy, GFs, jobs, a knowable kind of world, etc. But even that trip, from NY to the keys and back, was truly an adventure!

Good boats are easier to find than good crew. If you've got a good partner in crime that's huge. Make sure you're both all in. Look for the boat the same way as you would plan for a passage..be patient and wait for the right window, but be ready to jump. Get on some boats so you know what you want. Knowing what you want is so important..but it's so personal and impossible to know until you really know. That takes experience.

Otherwise, I'd second everything Don said. Would also say that finding the right deal in the right place is probably more important than particular makes or models. That's hard to reckon tho, as buying a boat is such an emotional experience, and you want something that makes your heart ring. Plus the research phase of looking can be almost as fun as actually ownership.

So there you go..a longish post that didn't directly answer any of your questions..good luck

You wont regret it!
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 23:46   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
These guys put out a really helpful list of what they consider to be good bluewater boats to consider:

Mahina Expeditions - Offshore Cruising Instruction

There is also Sailboat Reviews of Offshore Cruising Yachts : Bluewaterboats.org which does a pretty good job of reviewing and describing most bluewater boats out there.

Good luck. We had a streak of it when we found the former owners of our boat and convinced them to sell to us. It took a lot of searching, scrounging, and researching a ton of different boats before we found something that met our requirements and budget. It seems like you have your heads screwed on the right way with your starting parameters. There are a lot of great boats out there in that price range but you will have to really sift to find them amongst the stinkers. There are many of those too.

Hey thanks so much for those links.. the bluewaterboats.org is amazing! I learned a ton reading that!
I think I’m def starting to narrow it down a little...the Wauquiez Pretorien 35, Hallberg-Rassy, albergs and possibly the pearsons 35 all look like good quality boats.

I’m just trying to learn here and there is so much to know.. I feel like a small tender in a storm.. lol
Did I say the right?
Old 23-04-2018, 23:54   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
10 years ago I was living on a boat with some friends, prepping for an open-ended adventure. We ended up sailing from NYC to Key West, hung out for a few months, and decided to turn back around. There were 5 of us on a 39'. 2 of us wanted to keep going but 3 wanted to get back to normalcy, GFs, jobs, a knowable kind of world, etc. But even that trip, from NY to the keys and back, was truly an adventure!

Good boats are easier to find than good crew. If you've got a good partner in crime that's huge. Make sure you're both all in. Look for the boat the same way as you would plan for a passage..be patient and wait for the right window, but be ready to jump. Get on some boats so you know what you want. Knowing what you want is so important..but it's so personal and impossible to know until you really know. That takes experience.

Otherwise, I'd second everything Don said. Would also say that finding the right deal in the right place is probably more important than particular makes or models. That's hard to reckon tho, as buying a boat is such an emotional experience, and you want something that makes your heart ring. Plus the research phase of looking can be almost as fun as actually ownership.

So there you go..a longish post that didn't directly answer any of your questions..good luck

You wont regret it!

All of your posts truly mean a ton to me. it actually answered other questions I have so you’re good. I appreciate you taking time out of your day(or night) to reply. It’s certainly exciting to learn and hear so many opinions. I’m looking forward to meeting people in the community since it’s becoming obvious people care and want the best experience for everyone.
Now I just have to learn the damn secret handshake! Lol
Old 24-04-2018, 02:29   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Dan.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 04:09   #11

Boat: Valiant 40

One thing to keep in mind is that some older boats like Albergs and Pearsons have dramatically less space below. Not a bad thing, just a fact of older designs with less beam and overhanging ends.
Old 24-04-2018, 04:32   #12

Boat: B24

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
Good boats are easier to find than good crew. If you've got a good partner in crime that's huge. Make sure you're both all in. Look for the boat the same way as you would plan for a passage..be patient and wait for the right window, but be ready to jump. Get on some boats so you know what you want. Knowing what you want is so important..but it's so personal and impossible to know until you really know... buying a boat is such an emotional experience, and you want something that makes your heart ring. Plus the research phase of looking can be almost as fun as actually ownership.
Exceptionally sound perspective… Over the past decades I’ve live aboard (for quite awhile) and made two attempts at “going for it” but in both cases, never got out of sight of land. Different boats speak to different folks, and while it is probably a near imperative to have certain technical requirements nailed down (quality, sturdiness – however you may measure it; comfort – as to what makes you that way; aesthetics – all up to you; etc., etc.), the boat the jumps out and grabs you will probably not be the one you thought you were looking for… so you must have the “minimums” well ingrained – I find those survey books interesting, even thought-provoking, but near useless in the end. Secondly, from my abortive attempts, I think it is easier for the skipper to acquire/win/maintain a reliable crew if the skipper is actually willing to go it alone – back to the boat, can it be soloed easily… I tend towards easy riding, narrow beamed classic plastic – so of course now inching up on a third attempt, I’m on a semi-fin-keel, spade rudder, not so classic plastic with a fat hull; but I’ve discovered she’s pretty easy to singlehand and although my Dearly Beloved enjoys sailing and lends a hand on deck quite willingly, I sense she likes the notion that she can drift into the cabin without fear of being yanked back on deck just to tack (hyperbole, but you get the idea…) or to anchor… Probably the bottom line is that a modestly knowledgeable sailor (not necessarily widely experienced) can go in almost anything that will stay afloat – all avenues aren’t considered wise, but these days with the wide variety of older, but serviceable boats abandoned by aging baby-boomers (guilty), you can get a lot of bang for your buck and enjoy the “shopping” as well…
Old 24-04-2018, 08:34   #13

Boat: Lagoon 450S

Well maintained Westsail 32, hard to beat it.

Gary
iliohale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 08:37   #14

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Important you allow for major refit costs. They can easily run 25-50% of the boat price so best to spend no more than 2/3-rds of your budget on your purchase. The age of the boat matters less than the time since a major refit.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 08:52   #15

Boat: Freedom 32

One word: CREW

Doing it on OPB is the best way to get your feet wet and learn if this life is really for you. Hell, you may even get paid! After one year you will be able to answer most of your questions yourselves. ~_/)
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruiser, cruise, water, Bluewater