Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: The Ellinor
Yes 7 21.21%
No 16 48.48%
Ignor everyone and do what you want as a noob. 10 30.30%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2011, 05:45   #31

Boat: Leopard L38
Re: Bluewater for Wounded Warrior

Thank you for your service. Go for it! Welcome aboard and good luck to you.
Phisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 05:53   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See USCG Guidance on Inspection, Repair, and Maintenance of Wooden Hulls (NVIC 7-95)

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/nvic/pdf/1995/n7-95.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 08:12   #33

Boat: gulfstar 41 aux jenny lynn

Hello Warrior thank you for your service we are all proud of you! I am sorry for your injury just my 2 cents on the boat. The bottom has been covered with C-Flex? A lot of shrimpers where I'm from cover their old wooden boats outside to give them a few more years with them. I personally would not want a eggshell wraped around my boat holding in moisture also it not being able to breathe,flexing,tempture changes, expansion and contraction. There are a lot of different methods for this also newer materials its a nice boat. That would be a concern to me best of luck.
jenny2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 08:33   #34
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

I've spent some time on ketch's website, and really like the boat's simplicity. Only 600 hours on the diesel, sails are not all that old, et cetera.

If she holds up to survey, I think this could be a great boat for a single guy coming home from a war.
Old 15-04-2011, 12:51   #35
Armchair Bucketeer

If she has been sheathed since 1970 I would want a surveyor to be very thorough with a spike (and probably will need a surveyor for the owner to be comfortable with a spike being used).........perfectly possible for a sheathed boat to rot away from the inside.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 14:28   #36

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

I was going to say something about the steel frames and copper rivets, but upon checking, those two are pretty close on the galvanic scale, so no worries there. But I'd be really cautious about the concrete ballast. My last wood boat had concrete poured into the bilge because the owners wife thought she was too tender. The concrete leached out lime which ate the ribs and keel down to cellulose fibers. Very nasty, when 31 consecutive pairs of ribs have the bottom 18 inches turned to dust.

Otherwise, shes a beautiful boat. As long as your shoulder is up to it, perhaps this is the one for you. I could think of a lot worse things to do.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 15:13   #37

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

Thought about it, can't buy into it... I wish I could have a wooden boat like this. I figure really really rich guys might indulge themselves with one. However, maintenance on a boat like this is frightful. I also wish to point out, that if you don't get out of a boat like this at just the "right" time, you own 17,000# of stove wood.
TomandAnitas34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 16:22   #38

Boat: 32' Custom by John Howie

still considering. had an offer of a HC 34t, but at twice the price. the HC is much more modern and HC's are one of the better ones as i understand it. shoud be more comfy for living aboard. also with the layout of the ellinor, the living space should be about the same.
WoundedWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 19:09   #39

Hi ww and thanks for your service. I have no adice on the boat but having both a blown out shoulder and an interest in learning to sail, I would really like for you to keep us posted on how sailing goes for the 1 1/2 armed.
Bulldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 19:42   #40

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71

Dear Lord that's a beautiful boat...but putting it up against an HC, I'd say the HC is likely (survey, condition, etc etc etc) the better bet for what you want to do. But wow what a pretty boat....
DiverChick71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 19:50   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Pretty boat. Boats are all about risk. Can you risk that the boat, despite your best efforts, having issues only uncovered after you own her? This alone has killed more cruising dreams than most other reasons combined.

I bought an old wooden power boat to live aboard during college. She served that purpose, at dock, but nothing else, as issues not shown in survey and my lack of funds and knowledge kept here there.

Better to find a simple, much smaller boat that you can get going and know intimately, within a short period of time.

Google atom voyages to see what I mean.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 20:15   #42

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Pretty boat. Boats are all about risk. Can you risk that the boat, despite your best efforts, having issues only uncovered after you own her? This alone has killed more cruising dreams than most other reasons combined.

I bought an old wooden power boat to live aboard during college. She served that purpose, at dock, but nothing else, as issues not shown in survey and my lack of funds and knowledge kept here there.

Better to find a simple, much smaller boat that you can get going and know intimately, within a short period of time.

Google atom voyages to see what I mean.

Chris
I agree. Something like a Westerly Fulmar 32 won't be a bad choice for a single guy just getting started.
Old 15-04-2011, 20:43   #43

Welcome home and thanks. That boat is beautiful and looks to be very well maintained. It has 1" oak planks and a 1/4" of C-flex over that. C-flex is a 68000 psi reinforced fiberglass. The interior (What can be seen) looks to be sound. I'd have to get a survey but I'd go for it. I like to work with wood too and if you need to borrow a draw plane, I have a spare.

Power tools, we don't need no stinking power. The hull is a full 1 1/4 thick consisting of wood and glass, every third rib is steel and is likely to be stronger than most new plastic boats. Several people have written that a true world cruiser should be made of wood anyways.

I'm partial to the warmth of wood and with the C-flex and fairly recent re-decking with glass coated wood I'd think the maintenance would not be that big of a deal. A little lovin' on the interior woodwork would go a long way toward enhancing her beauty but she looks to be ready to o right now. It sure beats sailing in pointed ended refrigerator with a 40' aluminum lightning rod attached.

But, of course, as always, that's just IMHO. DO IT Grunt.

Bill Burgette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 21:07   #44

Boat: 32' Custom by John Howie

yeah. the Ellinor's interior seems a bit lacking.
WoundedWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 22:13   #45

It's not lacking much. Just look at it as a blank canvas to perfect your woodworking hobby while you live aboard. On the bright side there's less to tear out to make it your masterpiece and 500 bucks worth of wood can keep you sawing, planing and sanding for several months. That's a pretty cheap hobby.

What branch of the military were you in? USMC Gunny on this end.

Bill Burgette is offline   Reply With Quote