Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2014, 09:56   #61

Boat: macgregor venture 25
Re: Bluewater MacGregor ?

Slow hand, thank you for your time to reply to my questions, and the links you gave me. To the rest of you who've posted thank you all and I really appreciate your information. My macgregor is in the process of becoming a heck of a macgregor but I think I will sail it next summer and when my fiancé retires buy a larger Hunter. Catalina, or Cape Dory. Whatever finances allow. I'm putting all new deck hardware and sturdy backing plates on as well as a cnc machined 9" mast base on. Also, a substantial garelick motor mount, and all rigging is being up-sized considerably. I, like others apparently, have removed the foam. I live close to Highrock Lake, in north carolina, but I eventually feel trapped on any lake, this also is a lake more atuned to pontoon boats than sailboats. Thank you all again for your input. Someone is going to get a great macgregor here, but I think, after reading the responses and examining my boat, my adventures will require a more substantial sailboat. Thanks again guys! Greg
thirstyturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 07:35   #62

Boat: Alberg 35 Yawl eventide

The Macgregor is a speedboat with a mast.Offshore ?????? Agh!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
blakeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2014, 10:54   #63

Boat: macgregor venture 25

My macgregor is a 1979, more atleast to me a real sailboat as opposed to the newer ones. I tend to agree with you about the newer ones being not really a powerboat and not really a sailboat. For the time being this macgregor is the deal for me, but as my fiancé gets retired too I'm going back to a much larger fixed keel. We have wondered about taking the mac to the Bahamas but after much thought and some fine input here, I believe using the mac in lakes and taking it to New Bern, North Carolina as we get an occasional week or two is for us. Once she retires and we get back to the coast and can be close enough, we'll go back up in size. I had a 45 footer but sold it as career and children took my time. But now being retired, children grown and gone and a new life on the horizon, the mac will be sold. But I am having fun doing the restoration and when I am done and sail her for a summer someone will get a real nice mac. Or I'll give it to my grandson. Thanks for the info.
thirstyturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 17:11   #64

I also am looking at the Macgregor 26m as my starter boat.
I hear you, it not a power boat or a sail boat, but I look at it as the best of both, as good as that is.
It does sail and it also powers if needed.
I saw one on youtube with a 90hp outboard, was pretty radical. I also had some friends ride their jetski's to Bimini and back.
Pestman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 20:37   #65

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I see a Macgregor 26 as the worst of both worlds.
We used to see these boats in the summer in Lake Washington (Seattle) trying to sail close hauled in light wind (with Bayliner wakes all around) going absolutely nowhere, while other normal sailboats actually made lemons out of lemonade.
At the end of the day, the other boats had sailed away while MacGregors still there just cranked up the 50 hp and motored home.

Save your money. There are lots of decent sailboats at similar price points which will actually SAIL.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 16:13   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnflakbait View Post
I think your boat is fine. Just be careful of the weather! Bahamas should be no prob. Keep your passages short and well planned.
IMHO

Good luck!

Exactly. A safe Bahamas crossing (as part of a longer cruise) may be more about the weather you select, and your planning, than the actual boat on balance.

Maybe await your window in No Name harbor on Key Biscayne. Then pick a good forecast but predeparture check to **verify --from your own observations-- that they got the forecast right as you carefully head out.

Magic Seaweed is insightful in finding good non-offshore days. If the MS trend is good you might head out in less than ideal but improving conditions to time best crossing window and daytime arrival. And watch the FL summertime afternoon systems.

Buddy boat even if your waterline brings you in behind.

Or with a MacGregor just pop up on plane. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3875.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	151394
SecondBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:15   #67

Boat: no boat any more

we got quite a few of the MGs here & they seem to be doing alright in all sorts of weather, didn't hear of any fatalities or losses do to severe weather. & this is at abt 47°49'N!

(a yes, before I forget: it's at abt 16°45'E on Lake Neusiedl in Austria which is ~5-6' deep...)
Old 07-07-2017, 10:31   #68

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

MUST... NOT... REPLY... NECROTHREAD!!!! I MUST... NOT...

Tags
macgregor