Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2019, 12:33   #76

Boat: Nauticat 32
Re: Boat as an investment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
1. Buy a good quality, well maintained, used boat.

2. Maintain it very well (conforming to appropiate standards is good).
I support this list. Maybe one should buy a boat that is not the latest model of the manufacturer (already considered to be old although it is really not so old). One could also wait for a depression before buying the boat. I have heard one story about a man who bought multiple boats that fit this description during a depression, when many boats were sold at a low price.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 13:31   #77

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Just remembered one case where a boat turned out by chance to be a pretty good investment. When the Lagoon 44 was first introduced, some were available at a really favorable price (I think because Lagoon wanted to get some into the maket). A guy bought one directly into charter in Belize, which I think further helped the purchase price. About a year later Lagoon jacked the price up considerably. He sold...at a very nice profit.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 13:36   #78

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
I support this list. Maybe one should buy a boat that is not the latest model of the manufacturer (already considered to be old although it is really not so old). One could also wait for a depression before buying the boat. I have heard one story about a man who bought multiple boats that fit this description during a depression, when many boats were sold at a low price.
Economic down turn would certainly help, but in that case there are likely far better investment options available than a boat.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 14:18   #79

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

I have owned three boats of the past...... a cal 34 III, Pearson 36-2 and now a beneteau 423. Each one has been the best investments I ever made! The first boat on paper looks like I sold her for 3,000 more than I paid, but hell I owned her for 4 years and did thousands of upgrades every year......., next boat had for 10 years and sold her for 35% lower than I paid and again this boat I thought I would never sell and plowed many thousands into her with a complete refit. Now my new boat of going on 3 years...... putting some big time boat bucks in her! So money wise as an investment it does not work out..... however as a life experience, well being, fun, excitement and all the other stuff, it has been sooooo worth the $$ and the best investment I ever made (better than Facebook at $30). I won’t die looking at my bank account, I will die thinking about how I lived with my wonderful wife on this wonderful earth sailing on great boats! So go and define what you view as investment and have fun...... cause if you think about an investment purely in terms of money you are in the wrong place.

Greg
“One happy mo fo on his boat”
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 14:37   #80

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Purchasing a depreciating asseas an investment is generally an awful idea. The exception is collectibles where a very scarce item such as a classic Jaguar D may actually appreciate. Betting on collectables is a VERY risky game. Fashions change so yesterday's hot item can become tomorrow's unsalable. There may be a yacht that fits this model but I have never heard of it.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 01:12   #81

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
Purchasing a depreciating asseas an investment is generally an awful idea. The exception is collectibles where a very scarce item such as a classic Jaguar D may actually appreciate. Betting on collectables is a VERY risky game. Fashions change so yesterday's hot item can become tomorrow's unsalable. There may be a yacht that fits this model but I have never heard of it.
It might be an investment in the sense that some alternative way of achieving the same desired end result would be even more expensive?

As in investing in a mobile phone (which are usually never sold at a profit) to not having to drive over to people every time you want to have a chat
Old 18-01-2019, 04:53   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
It might be an investment in the sense that some alternative way of achieving the same desired end result would be even more expensive?
Yes, it can save you some money in that way. But I think that is using the word "investment" in a very different way than the OP intended.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 05:05   #83

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

The only differences between a cruising boat and a time share is, you can move the boat or sell the boat.
Old 18-01-2019, 06:58   #84

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

The time to break even (or make a bit if you are very lucky) on a boat is when you buy it. It is ALWAYS a buyer's market for toys like sailboats. Ask anyone who has tried selling his pride and joy for what he thinks it is worth. It takes some looking- an enjoyable pursuit- and patience, but there are always bargains to be had on great boats at favorable prices. As a wise man once told me, "If you buy low enough, you don't have to worry about selling high."
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, men