Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2018, 09:36   #16

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Boat Ideas for the Singlehanded Transpac

I'd also ask on Sailing Anarchy - lot of transpac racers there.
Old 21-06-2018, 09:44   #17

Boat: Cal-40

I would look at the venerable Cal-40. Not only has it won many offshore races but is very easy to sail. I have owned one for the past 12 years now and it’s a wonderful vessel. Very fast and responsive yet stable in foul weather.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 10:44   #18

Valiant 42 or 50 would be my choice. Not a family friendly sexy boat but built like a tank.
Going Gaugain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 10:58   #19

Boat: Bristol 27

There were two Cal 40's in the Newport Bermuda race that just finished.

Their rating is near PHRF 120 or so
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 11:08   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

I have sailed the race twice, in 1980 and 1982, in a Moore 24 and an Olson 30. My boat choices were more budget-driven than comfort-driven, and I wanted fast, seaworthy boats. Neither boat had any furling, and I flew symmetrical spinnakers for most of each race. My autopilots were early Autohelm 2000 models, which drew very little electricity and suffered from poor reliability.

If you're going to the time and expense of sailing 2,200 miles downwind, I would prioritize having a fun boat to sail that handles well downwind. Big rudder, nice hull shape, doesn't immediately round up, etc. Something like an Olson 34 or Olson 37 comes to mind, and they are finally affordably priced.

Another choices would be a J-boat that has been raced and is not longer competitive with the newest boats. Could have lots of sails and not a lot of junk that you don't want. I'd love to sail a J-105 to Hawaii, but I am not sure about sailing back. Depending on your budget, a J-120 or similar length boat might be a better choice for post-SHT cruising.

Of greatest importance it getting there safely. Boats that lose their masts, keels, or rudders are dumb choices. You're going to round up a lot, and you might strike some debris from who-knows-where. No boat would withstand running into a container at speed (ask Robert Redford), but you shouldn't take a boat that has any history of rudder failure (and have a complete survey before departing).

Next in importance is having a bulletproof autopilot. It has to be belowdecks, and it should have an excellent heading sensor. I have a Navico that works well (combination of Simrad and B&G parts), but I am sure there other good choices. Don't sail to Hawaii with a cockpit pilot.

I'd be happy to respond to any specific questions about the race and preparation.

Chuck Hawley
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 11:59   #21

Olson 40
Express 37
F-31!
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 12:08   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hawley View Post
I have sailed the race twice, in 1980 and 1982, in a Moore 24 and an Olson 30. My boat choices were more budget-driven than comfort-driven, and I wanted fast, seaworthy boats. Neither boat had any furling, and I flew symmetrical spinnakers for most of each race. My autopilots were early Autohelm 2000 models, which drew very little electricity and suffered from poor reliability.

If you're going to the time and expense of sailing 2,200 miles downwind, I would prioritize having a fun boat to sail that handles well downwind. Big rudder, nice hull shape, doesn't immediately round up, etc. Something like an Olson 34 or Olson 37 comes to mind, and they are finally affordably priced.

Another choices would be a J-boat that has been raced and is not longer competitive with the newest boats. Could have lots of sails and not a lot of junk that you don't want. I'd love to sail a J-105 to Hawaii, but I am not sure about sailing back. Depending on your budget, a J-120 or similar length boat might be a better choice for post-SHT cruising.

Of greatest importance it getting there safely. Boats that lose their masts, keels, or rudders are dumb choices. You're going to round up a lot, and you might strike some debris from who-knows-where. No boat would withstand running into a container at speed (ask Robert Redford), but you shouldn't take a boat that has any history of rudder failure (and have a complete survey before departing).

Next in importance is having a bulletproof autopilot. It has to be belowdecks, and it should have an excellent heading sensor. I have a Navico that works well (combination of Simrad and B&G parts), but I am sure there other good choices. Don't sail to Hawaii with a cockpit pilot.

I'd be happy to respond to any specific questions about the race and preparation.

Chuck Hawley
Chuck,
Thanks for adding your personal experience and good tips to this discussion, and elsewhere on the forum.

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 12:20   #23
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliohale View Post
I am thinking of purchasing a boat this year to prep for the 2020 Singlehanded Transpac. Something in the 34' to 40' range, cruiser/racer, more comfort than speed trade offs. I would race it to Hawaii in 2020, spend a few months in the islands and then sail it back to SF Bay via the PNW and sell it.

Thoughts on potential boats to consider for this 2 year adventure?

Anyone not familiar with this race can check this out: SHTP 2018 | Singlehanded Sailing Society

Gary
Howdy Gary.

My first thought was a Freedom 38. The Freedom 38 is a very comfortably designed cruiser, known for an easy to handle rig. I think you would see a larger buyer market for it on PNW after your race. Or keep it to cruise.

Contact CF Member GAMYUN who is going to singlehand one in a SHSS race from SF to Kauai this month. She may be out of contact for several weeks.

Also, I can suggest the following source of insights:

Singlehanded Sailing: Thoughts, Tips, Techniques & Tactics by Andrew Evans.

Andrew Evans is a member of CF and posts under the forum name Foolish Muse. His book is good reading, full of insights into singlehanded sailing, including his own experience (800 times, 3500 hours singlehanded) and the experiences of other singlehanded sailors.

It is well worth the small price ($14 Paperback edition). It is available on amazon in two editions, paperback or kindle.

Get the latest edition (Sept 2014) as it contains new additional content over the earlier PDF version that was distributed for free online. The 2014 edition is also available as a kindle version ($13).

While you may still be able to find the free (earlier) version online, I encourage anyone to spend a little to compensate Andrew for writing such a good and helpful book.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00N9ICA12...ng=UTF8&btkr=1
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 13:07   #24

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Cal 20 has to be a joke - that would be seriously, ridiculously and heart-breakingly slow.

However, a Moore 24 is a classic pocket rocket for that race, but a bit small and likely sparse for the OP.
Ronnie Simpson raced his Moore 24 in the 2012 Transpac and came a creditable 6th.
Old 21-06-2018, 16:51   #25

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

Hi,
I will send you PM.
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 17:12   #26

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Of greatest importance it getting there safely. Boats that lose their masts, keels, or rudders are dumb choices. You're going to round up a lot, and you might strike some debris from who-knows-where. No boat would withstand running into a container at speed (ask Robert Redford), but you shouldn't take a boat that has any history of rudder failure

Chuck Hawley[/QUOTE]

In the movie he wasn't moving !!! Just woke up and a container was alongside if I remember correctly. OK movie I guess but they could have had better advisers or whatever you call them.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2018, 17:42   #27

I just sent you a PM
Old 21-06-2018, 17:44   #28

Hi Iliohale,
I just sent a PM.
C Lady
Old 21-06-2018, 18:22   #29

look for a Sparhawk 36 or 42, Cat Ketch, Performance Hull, easy to single hand and fast as all get out on a reach.
Wayfarer1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2018, 07:48   #30

Personally, I would feel very safe in a Pacific Seacraft or Island Packet. I think a 37 footer would give a good trade off between price, boat speed, comfort, and safety. If price isn't a problem, I'd go with a more recent model year 40 or 41.

For me the theoretical penultimate would be a Valiant 42. I say theoretical because I've only read about them and seen a Valiant at the docks. I've never been on one much less sailed one.

As for actual experience, I've been on and crewed a 53' Amel Super Maramu 2000 across the Gulf of Mexico and again from the Great Exumas to Turks & Caicos. These are amazing boats.

I understand that smaller boats have safely performed in these races but I can't imagine. Our little 28' with the steering wheel autopilot really struggled with the waves in the Gulf of Mexico 5 miles offshore. I can't imagine taking her across the Pacific. Personally, I'd want a below decks mechanical autopilot or a mechanical wind vane.
razermouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, single