Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2018, 18:36   #31

Re: Boat Ideas for the Singlehanded Transpac

Seeing the reply's I have to admit there is nothing like sailing a Cal 40 at full tilt down wind. The bow wave can be as high as the spreaders along with this outright feeling of screaming downwind. Single handing in one would be a challenge and if it does round up it also has this bad habit of rounding down afterwards because its digging a big hole in the water the boat cannot help falling into. But what a classic speed boat and what a ride. [IMG]http://api.ning.com/files/c-HwcwuE6RiEnnov-1ytHxHcKwiliu3geoGMu*APCxcSPk7n8wT1iTLG4liELT1mb5P R*U0*g17IOu*uOyFAHoY4Nt4fwrpp/cal40_Illusion.jpg[/IMG]
Wayfarer1008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2018, 23:01   #32

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW,

Long ago I did a lot of singlehanded racing in the SF area. One of the competitors, Hans Vielhauer, raced for three years in a Scampi (30 foot racer/cruiser type),and was a top finisher on a regular basis. He then bought a Cal 40, and never came close to a podium finish. The Cal was well equipped, and Hans was a fierce sailor... what happened?

Well, we were racing under PHRF ratings, and as it happened Hans could sail the Scampi close to her rated performance. On the much bigger Cal, he could not do so, so his handicap finishes were poor.

I was quite successful in those races in my Yankee 30. Her design made it feasible to reach design speeds on my own*... in fact, I regularly passed crewed Y-30s in the MORA fleet who started just ahead of the singlehand group. The reason? I had a half ton weight advantage (no crew) and the boat didn't need rail meat (or maybe I was a super sailor???).

IIRC the SHTP is also run under PHRF ratings. Thus, it is important to consider how a solo sailor can make the boat perform, without for instance, a few gorillas on the rail and on the grinders. Some modern designs rely on that rail meat all too much!

*Thank you Sparkman and Stephens for such a great design!!

Jim
Old 25-06-2018, 16:08   #33

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
FWIW,

Long ago I did a lot of singlehanded racing in the SF area. One of the competitors, Hans Vielhauer, raced for three years in a Scampi (30 foot racer/cruiser type),and was a top finisher on a regular basis. He then bought a Cal 40, and never came close to a podium finish. The Cal was well equipped, and Hans was a fierce sailor... what happened?

Well, we were racing under PHRF ratings, and as it happened Hans could sail the Scampi close to her rated performance. On the much bigger Cal, he could not do so, so his handicap finishes were poor.

I was quite successful in those races in my Yankee 30. Her design made it feasible to reach design speeds on my own*... in fact, I regularly passed crewed Y-30s in the MORA fleet who started just ahead of the singlehand group. The reason? I had a half ton weight advantage (no crew) and the boat didn't need rail meat (or maybe I was a super sailor???).

IIRC the SHTP is also run under PHRF ratings. Thus, it is important to consider how a solo sailor can make the boat perform, without for instance, a few gorillas on the rail and on the grinders. Some modern designs rely on that rail meat all too much!

*Thank you Sparkman and Stephens for such a great design!!

Jim
These are really great boats. Nearly bought one in Ca about 20 years ago but she sold. I had previously owned the original Defiance which was a cold molded 30ft S and S from the same era. That boat was amazingly quick even when cruising and a very tough little boat at sea. Never had any fears about her in heavy weather but she was a very well built boat. I think the Yankee is a better looking boat though.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2018, 01:29   #34

Boat: Oceanis 38 11.5m

Being a multi-day race in any size vessel, only one word comes to mind: waterline.

Color me simple.
surf_km55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, single