Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2021, 05:41   #46

Boat: Mariner36
Re: Boat is heeling in marina - owner says its ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray_sailor View Post
Hi

I am looking at the Bavaria 32 (2001) at the moment, and I can see, that it sits heeled in the water.

When we have taken the boat out of the water, its heeling became very obvious because of uneven marine growth on the hull.

See picture attached.

The Owner says it is not in balance because of the empty watertank.
It sounds logical to me, however I have never noticed such boat behavior.
Can anyone confirm that this in normal? Please!

I'll list of either port or starboard water tank is empty while the other is more than half full. I would just have all tanks filled and see how it sits.
bkrizmanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:01   #47

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCLAY View Post
I have a Beneteau 400 and it lists to the starboard also. It seems that most of the storage , the galley, and the batteries are all on the starboard side. You would think that the designers would plan for this better.
Yup my 400 as well. It is curious that they would do this. I've wondered if there might have been an option for something like a generator that would have helped had it been installed.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 15:43   #48

Boat: Macwester 32

I did all measurements today. Keel is well aligned. Doublechecked it with both hanging level and ruler measurements from tip of the keel to boat topsides. It is only the ruder which is declined to portside.
So, the question still remains, why is she listing.
I have asked this question to Bavaria and got a responce, that probably starboard cockpit locker is loaded too much...It is very strange anyway....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Keel Alignment Geometry.JPG
Views:	129
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	238289   Click image for larger version

Name:	ruder_decline.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	238290  

Name:	portside.JPG
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	238291   Click image for larger version

Name:	portside_zoom.JPG
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	238292  

Name:	starbdside.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	238293   Click image for larger version

Name:	starbd_zoom.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	238294  

gray_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 15:50   #49

Boat: Macwester 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Having a second look the growth line on the stern, if the boat was listing to one side you should see a similar pattern on the second photo to the same side at the front.
I do not see that.
What I do see is that the back of the boat was sitting lower and to the starboard side at the stern.
Most likely caused by an imbalance in the back of the boat.
It's kinda hard to judge it on the hard IMHO
SV Cloud Duster
This is really good point and it is in agreement with my today's measurements. Thank you very much.
gray_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 06:46   #50

We have a Bavaria 30 Cruiser and she lists slightly to starboard as well. Perfectly normal with the water tanks on one side and the fuel on the other. We keep the diesel topped up but the water can be anywhere from full to empty. It's also not helped by the cockpit locker being on the same side so other heavy items adding to the imbalance. We've found that if we keep the ship's booze in the locker under the port side saloon bench she evens up a little!
allybenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 06:48   #51

Boat: Mariner 38 Pilot House

I don’t own this model but my 38’ loaded up with tools does the same thing. I can correct the list by leaving a tank empty but really don’t bother..

I’d empty the boat (including the piece of iron) and fill the tanks. Go from there.
mcon12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 07:01   #52

Boat: 1975 Morgan OI ketch

I have a Morgan OutIsland ketch, 41 feet. Same problem. We heel to starboard even at the marina. I've always thought it is because we have a 8KW Onan generator on that side and most of our storage is starboard, too. Would love for someone to advise if this is a danger? We haven't sailed in a good while. . .
Mother1ship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 07:13   #53

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother1ship View Post
I have a Morgan OutIsland ketch, 41 feet. Same problem. We heel to starboard even at the marina. I've always thought it is because we have a 8KW Onan generator on that side and most of our storage is starboard, too. Would love for someone to advise if this is a danger? We haven't sailed in a good while. . .
We also have an OI but our list is to port. Our generator was "removed" at some point by a previous owner. With all our water tankage to port and an empty stbd water tank and 1/3 of our fuel onboard, we have a 3 degree list to port at the dock when that water tank is full!

There is (I believe) trim ballast glassed into the port settee between the 2 storage lockers. For us I've never noticed much in the way of a performance, difference between tacks but in theory, for you a starboard tack should be a bit stiffer as the wind has to push against that initial heel towards the wind
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 07:52   #54

Boat: Alberg 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
The ONLY lead ballast that makes sense is batteries.
Lots and lots of boats use lead ballast(or any other material) to put the boat in trim. It is pretty common on racing boats, even more so short handed.
Linesledaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 08:31   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray_sailor View Post
She has 1 watertank (150l), but she also currently has the piece of iron ballast on the port side!
It is a big piece of iron weighting around 110 pounds. Is lies under the bunk in her saloon.
Now, after your reply, I am really suspicious about the keel....
Have you asked what the plate is for? Which side is it on? If the plate is there to minimize the off balance I would run. If it is on the “low side” why is it there?

Every boat I have ever bought the seller’s have tried to minimize any fault the boat has. One told me the outboard needed a $50 fix. Yeah in parts. The whole motor had to be taken apart. It was cheaper to buy a new one.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 08:35   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by allybenson View Post
We have a Bavaria 30 Cruiser and she lists slightly to starboard as well. Perfectly normal with the water tanks on one side and the fuel on the other. We keep the diesel topped up but the water can be anywhere from full to empty. It's also not helped by the cockpit locker being on the same side so other heavy items adding to the imbalance. We've found that if we keep the ship's booze in the locker under the port side saloon bench she evens up a little!
Same here, can tell when the 130L water tank is nearly empty by the lean of the mast. Also please don't assume that the waterline antifouling is equal on both sides. It won't have been the most experienced shipwright who painted it, more likely the youngest apprentice on a Friday afternoon before getting on his push bike to go home

You can also feel the difference fore and aft when heavy items are removed on 30ft yachts. The life raft and a near empty fuel tank caused us to have a slight bow down angle. Shifting some kit sorted that.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 08:36   #57

Boat: Corbin 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnerman View Post
For the water tanks, water weighs in at 8.34 lbs / gallon or 1kg (2.2 lbs) per liter if tank is in liters (for a Bavaria , it probably is...)

The further outboard of centerline the tanks are located, the more of an effect it will have on port/stbd listing .

Also, second the comment on batteries. If previous owner installed additional batteries in a side locker (which is common) it will affect the balance.

Also:

-Hot water tank
-Holding tank
-Fuel tank
-Stuff in lockers (spare anchor., outboard, heavy tool boxes, gas cylinders, dead body etc...) ..

As long as there is no water swishing around the cabin sole, I would not be concerned. As another blogger stated, fill the tanks and see how she sits in the water.
1Kg is equal to 1 Liter of water
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 08:45   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseFalcon View Post
1Kg is equal to 1 Liter of water
Sacre bleu, surely you mean litres. About the only useful thing the French have done for us, oh and produced lots fast yachts
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 08:49   #59

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

Fill the water tank for two reasons: Does it positively change the static heel? Does it leak.

As to the ballast: Is it installed to balance something such as additional batteries, an anchor of approximately equal weight, or other necessities? If not, the boat has a problem. The repairs could be quite expensive, perhaps a significant percentage of the purchase price. Perhaps far too expensive considering the value of the boat.

Unless this problem has a logical explanation and can be easily and economically repaired, it might be in your best interest to pass on this boat. The owner says it's OK but it's possible that the owner isn't aware of the extent of the problem and the cost of proper repair.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2021, 08:58   #60

Boat: Hanse 470e

Agreed - but I've seen far worse on production yachts, when checking them with a laser and levelling rig.
getthejibin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat