Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2017, 21:56   #61

Re: Boat suggestion sought for the Loop

My Ranger Tug R27 is probably the perfect loop boat. It wasn't cheap though, but has all the amenities of the big trawlers, but with a fraction of the fuel consumption. And has someone mentioned earlier, you can haul it out on a trailer if you only want to do the loop in sections. A pocket trawler is a great choice for this kind of traveling.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:55   #62

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
My Ranger Tug R27 is probably the perfect loop boat. It wasn't cheap though, but has all the amenities of the big trawlers, but with a fraction of the fuel consumption. And has someone mentioned earlier, you can haul it out on a trailer if you only want to do the loop in sections. A pocket trawler is a great choice for this kind of traveling.
I really like the Ranger Tug 27 but my wife would not buy the lack of room. We saw 2 on the loop when we did it and both times she remarked how cute they were and how she was glad we didn't go quite that small.

I have lusted after the Scout 30 for years. Great compromise between compact outer dimensions and usable interior space. Sips fuel.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:12   #63

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
I really like the Ranger Tug 27 but my wife would not buy the lack of room. We saw 2 on the loop when we did it and both times she remarked how cute they were and how she was glad we didn't go quite that small.

I have lusted after the Scout 30 for years. Great compromise between compact outer dimensions and usable interior space. Sips fuel.
You have hit upon a key element and the constant battle on loop boats. You're operating a boat and you're living on one. The easiest operated and most cost effective and the most liveable are at opposite ends of the spectrum. So, every looped selects some compromise based on their own tolerances. We did the loop primarily with 6 or 7 on board, so not about to choose the same boat a single guy doing it alone might select.

I respect so much of the information Captain John has put on his site. However, his view on boat selection is so diametrically opposed to mine. He's also got something he's worked hard to prove and that is how cheaply the loop can be done.

I advise all to consider one thing. Don't do the loop just to say you did. Don't do it to prove how cheaply you can or that you can in a boat everyone else says is lousy for it. Do it for the pleasure of seeing so much of this country and areas of Canada and exploring on the water and on shore. Being exposed to people and environments and cultures and to history of each area. Do it for the incredibly special experience it can be. If you do it and say one time is enough then you didn't do it right. Every area of the loop we left behind more things we wanted to see, places we'd like more time. We will start it again, probably around 2020 or so. Then after that I'd imagine again perhaps another 7 years or so later. It's the most incredible way to see the Eastern Half of this country and southern Canada.

Then that brings us back to the boat. Simple. The one on which you can maximize your enjoyment of the loop (which includes all the equation from comfort to cost).
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:45   #64

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
My Ranger Tug R27 is probably the perfect loop boat. ... And has someone mentioned earlier, you can haul it out on a trailer if you only want to do the loop in sections. A pocket trawler is a great choice for this kind of traveling.
I think that sort of needs an asterisk for *if your rig can handle the load. The R27 and trailer weight is over 10,000 lbs, if I recall correctly.

But it would be a great loop boat. Spent some time on one at the Annapolis show and liked the layout and space in a small package. Didn't want to tow the weight personally though.
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:53   #65

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
..................... Don't do the loop just to say you did. Don't do it to prove how cheaply you can or that you can in a boat everyone else says is lousy for it. Do it for the pleasure of seeing so much of this country and areas of Canada and exploring on the water and on shore. Being exposed to people and environments and cultures and to history of each area. Do it for the incredibly special experience it can be. If you do it and say one time is enough then you didn't do it right. Every area of the loop we left behind more things we wanted to see, places we'd like more time. We will start it again, probably around 2020 or so. Then after that I'd imagine again perhaps another 7 years or so later. It's the most incredible way to see the Eastern Half of this country and southern Canada..
Old 05-11-2017, 08:57   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
I really like the Ranger Tug 27 but my wife would not buy the lack of room. We saw 2 on the loop when we did it and both times she remarked how cute they were and how she was glad we didn't go quite that small. .
They also make a 29 and a 31. More room but more cost and more weight. They are very nice boats though, especially the 31 with the fold down flybridge helm that allows trailering.

I would think you could rent a truck to tow it.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:34   #67

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I would think you could rent a truck to tow it.
I thought so too. The last time I tried to rent a truck to tow with though, Enterprise expressly forbid it in their rental contract. Uhaul would let you tow, but only if your load was something you rented from them, e.g. a uHaul trailer. You could probably get someone with their own rig though on uShip. YMMV and I'm sure people have towed boats with rental equipment before, I haven't had that luck though.
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:35   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
I think that sort of needs an asterisk for *if your rig can handle the load. The R27 and trailer weight is over 10,000 lbs, if I recall correctly.

But it would be a great loop boat. Spent some time on one at the Annapolis show and liked the layout and space in a small package. Didn't want to tow the weight personally though.
Mine is approx 12000 lbs including the trailer - I got all the heavy options, plus fuel & water, and gear. You definatety need an F250 or HD2500 to tow it comfortably. I get 12-13 mpg in my diesel Silverado towing it on the flats. It's not really all that bad. I'd rather tow it the 3 hours down to Charleston and put in, then pay for a slip all the time. Another consideration is you can take it anywhere in the country and cruise the grounds you'd like without the long distances on the water. Great if you have limited cruising time.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:04   #69

Quote:
I thought so too. The last time I tried to rent a truck to tow with though, Enterprise expressly forbid it in their rental contract. Uhaul would let you tow, but only if your load was something you rented from them, e.g. a uHaul trailer. You could probably get someone with their own rig though on uShip. YMMV and I'm sure people have towed boats with rental equipment before, I haven't had that luck though.
I've seen that posted before, but me real experience is that the guy who bought my previous boat flew to my city, rented a truck and towed the boat to FL. The truck had a hitch and trailer wiring.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:14   #70

Quote:
It's been years since I gathered this information, so discount it accordingly. However, Uhaul, Enterprise, Herts were firm with no towing of a boat. Ryder would at that time allow towing and had heavy hitches. Budget also did so.

Strangely Enterprise appears now to do it some but it's through enterprisetrucks.com and specific limitations.

https://www.enterprisetrucks.com/tru...-_-TowingGuide

And Uhaul claims to rent a pickup truck to tow a boat, but I've never heard of them doing so.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:27   #71

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
You have hit upon a key element and the constant battle on loop boats. You're operating a boat and you're living on one. The easiest operated and most cost effective and the most liveable are at opposite ends of the spectrum. So, every looped selects some compromise based on their own tolerances. We did the loop primarily with 6 or 7 on board, so not about to choose the same boat a single guy doing it alone might select.

I respect so much of the information Captain John has put on his site. However, his view on boat selection is so diametrically opposed to mine. He's also got something he's worked hard to prove and that is how cheaply the loop can be done.

I advise all to consider one thing. Don't do the loop just to say you did. Don't do it to prove how cheaply you can or that you can in a boat everyone else says is lousy for it. Do it for the pleasure of seeing so much of this country and areas of Canada and exploring on the water and on shore. Being exposed to people and environments and cultures and to history of each area. Do it for the incredibly special experience it can be. If you do it and say one time is enough then you didn't do it right. Every area of the loop we left behind more things we wanted to see, places we'd like more time. We will start it again, probably around 2020 or so. Then after that I'd imagine again perhaps another 7 years or so later. It's the most incredible way to see the Eastern Half of this country and southern Canada.

Then that brings us back to the boat. Simple. The one on which you can maximize your enjoyment of the loop (which includes all the equation from comfort to cost).

Hear! Hear!
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:44   #72

We have made several two month plus cruises in our Camano. Other Camano owners have done the Loop in their boats. It might not be big enough or "luxurious" enough for some folks but it would work for us and has worked for several other couples.
Old 05-11-2017, 13:38   #73

Boat: sabre 28

Tom,

I highly recommend you buy Capt. John's book "Once Around Is Not Enough".
This book will greatly help you in deciding what type of boat to look for in order to fullfill the bucket list.

Bob
Old 05-11-2017, 13:50   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfits View Post
Tom,

I highly recommend you buy Capt. John's book "Once Around Is Not Enough".
This book will greatly help you in deciding what type of boat to look for in order to fullfill the bucket list.

Bob
I'd recommend reading many of the Kindle books that are available as stories written by loopers. They all have different boats and views but it will teach you a lot about the loop.
Old 05-11-2017, 16:04   #75

Boat: sabre 28

Quote:
I'd recommend reading many of the Kindle books that are available as stories written by loopers. They all have different boats and views but it will teach you a lot about the loop.
I couldn't agree more.Keep in mind this is coming from a guy that likes saiing & has an electric drive so motoring isn't my thing. Let the wind blow & the sunshine, you'll get there eventually

Tags
boat