Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2017, 07:20   #1

Boat: Nimble Artic 26
Boat suggestion sought for the Loop

Hello

I own a West Wight Potter. I plan to do the Loop, and other trips when I retire. My wife will not go aboard the Potter on any trip, much less this one

I'd like her to visit me at certain ports along the trip, so I am contemplating a larger boat. I'd prefer sailing when ever I can since I prefer that to motoring, but I don't want to need a crane to drop the mast for bridges. I am looking for suggestions of boats that a have mast tabernacles and can be operated fairly easily by a fit old man. Should have standing headroom for a 5 foot person. Shoal draft preferred for the skinny water around Florida and the Chesapeake.

Thanks in advance.
Old 28-10-2017, 07:32   #2

Re: Boat suggestion sought for the Loop

You probably don't want to hear it, but the plain fact is that the Loop is not really suited for a sailboat. Like it or not, you're going to be motoring most of the way.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 08:12   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
Hello

I own a West Wight Potter. I plan to do the Loop, and other trips when I retire. My wife will not go aboard the Potter on any trip, much less this one

I'd like her to visit me at certain ports along the trip, so I am contemplating a larger boat. I'd prefer sailing when ever I can since I prefer that to motoring, but I don't want to need a crane to drop the mast for bridges. I am looking for suggestions of boats that a have mast tabernacles and can be operated fairly easily by a fit old man. Should have standing headroom for a 5 foot person. Shoal draft preferred for the skinny water around Florida and the Chesapeake.

Thanks in advance.
Howdy Tom.

I would like to travel the Great Loop someday. But, from what I have read, since it is mostly motoring, a motor yacht or power boat or a motoring sailboat seems to be most suitable. The following boat may fit some of your wants. It is a boat I would enjoy sailing, but would not be my first choice for a Great Loop boat. But, you are wanting a boat you can easily singlehand and one with a tabernacle type mast you can raise.

Since you are accustomed to a smaller boat (the WWP), and you may be sailing alone, and you want a tabernacle mast, the following boat is what comes to mind as a suggestion for you. I have not sailed one of these yet (hope to) but I have looked them over carefully online and everything I see looks good to me.

One other aspect of this I think is good is that someone may not finish the Loop in one season, and this boat could be trailered home or to the best departure point or hauled and stored on land easily to wait for another season to complete the loop.

It has shallow draft. Easy to raise mast. Big cockpit. Comfy looking cabin.

One thing I would want to add is something for shade (Bimini).

Compac Horizon Cat

The Horizon Cat Week-end Cruiser from Com-Pac Yachts

The brand of boats that have caught my eye are made by Compac Yachts and their catboats especially. They do make a range of boats, but the 20 foot LOA catboats most appeal to me, and look like they would be very nice for a couple or small family (or with friends) for daysails and/or for "pocket cruising."

See the Com-Pac Yachts website for photos and specs and details and a set of photos showing how the mast is easy to raise by one person.

Com-Pac Yachts: Trailerable Cat Boats, Trailerable Cruisers, and Cruising Sailboats

I think the catboats they make look great. By "catboat" I don't mean a catamaran. The catboats have a mast located near the bow of the boat. It is a distinctive design, and known as one that is easy to sail (one larger sail).

They make some catboat models for day sailing (big open cockpits that can hold a lot of people) and some with a small cabin that allows one to use it for cruising (a few berths, portapotty, small galley, etc.).

If you want to do some "pocket cruising" and overnight on the boat.
My favorite model, the Horizon Cat has a small but surprisingly roomy and very comfortable looking cabin. The Horizon Cat Week-end Cruiser from Com-Pac Yachts

How will you raise the mast?
One of the most appealing things to me about the Compac boats is their method of raising (stepping) the mast when you arrive at your sailing destination by trailer. You can read about their method on their site.

One person can lift the hinged mast from its rest position on the transom support, with the boat on the trailer or in the water. Side stays and halyards are already in position.

It appears that anyone could do it and looks very easy. That is something to consider, especially those who must single hand or don't use a big crew. In my opinion, having a mast that is easy to step (raise or install for sailing) is a MUST for a trailer sailor (for me) and as I would want to be able to "single hand" the boat whenever I want, I would really want a mast that is easy for ONE person to raise safely. I was impressed by the photos at the following link: The Mastendr Quick-Rig Sailing System from Com-Pac Yachts

The Mastendr Quick-Rig Sailing System from Com-Pac Yachts

Note: I have no connection to this brand or sellers. I am simply posting information about a boat I admire and would consider as a nice day sailor or pocket cruiser.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6339.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	158432   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6340.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	158433  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 09:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
You probably don't want to hear it, but the plain fact is that the Loop is not really suited for a sailboat. Like it or not, you're going to be motoring most of the way.
I KNOW all about that, sailed the Texas 200 this year. Probably could have sailed the whole way, but chose to motor into the camp at matagorda island so we'd be in before dark.

There are places along the Chesapeake and near Clear Water Florida where sailing would work especially if I am willing to go out.
Then there are the great Lakes.
Old 28-10-2017, 09:26   #5

This photo demonstrates that there may not be standing head room for my short wife:

I like the mast raising system, this is how I raise my mast.
Standing headroom for my 4' 11" wife is necessary for me to be able to convince her to visit with out the requirement of a hotel room.

Thanks for the Ideas.
Old 28-10-2017, 09:56   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is a boat I remember posting about in another thread I curate...

It has a tabernacle type mast (two) and VERY shallow draft, and...5' 1" headroom. The headroom may not be much, but this is a very special boat. See the link for numerous photos and details. And... while on that page, look up above several posts too, there was a link I posted for one of those for sale, some time ago, but it could give you more info.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2241497

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2242012
Old 28-10-2017, 10:02   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If you don’t mind your WWP, keep it and pay to have the mast stepped.
It will be cheaper in the long run than selling your current boat and buying another.
I believe it only has to be stepped once, and I believe you can skip that part and not have it stepped.

If you feel you need a larger Boat, I’d advise skip the tabernacle idea, it really, really reduces the available boats. Back to just save money to pay to have it done, it will be cheaper in the long run.
The crane to have my mast pulled on my IP38 in Stuart Fl was $300.
Just not enough money I believe to make me change boats etc.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 14:17   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If you don’t mind your WWP, keep it and pay to have the mast stepped.
It will be cheaper in the long run than selling your current boat and buying another.
I believe it only has to be stepped once, and I believe you can skip that part and not have it stepped.

If you feel you need a larger Boat, I’d advise skip the tabernacle idea, it really, really reduces the available boats. Back to just save money to pay to have it done, it will be cheaper in the long run.
The crane to have my mast pulled on my IP38 in Stuart Fl was $300.
Just not enough money I believe to make me change boats etc.
I agree with this.

There are not that many tabernacle equipped larger cruising boats in the USA (more popular in Europe).

If you are looking for "bigger than trailer sailor" and want to keep costs low, here is a link to a boat that looks nice and is low priced (asking $10K) and has shallow draft and Bimini (something I would require for motoring a few thousand miles in the sun).

For Sale: 1981 Tartan 33 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Old 28-10-2017, 14:20   #9

Boat: Seaward 22

how about a catalac catamaran? i think some of them have tabernacle masts. shallow draft and more space for the mrs.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 21:01   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There are places along the Chesapeake and near Clear Water Florida where sailing would work especially if I am willing to go out.
Then there are the great Lakes.
And how much of the total distance of The Loop are those two limited areas?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 22:04   #11

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

I don't have much of a sense as to what sort of boat it is that you're looking for. But on boats from about 30' on down, unless they have a keel stepped mast, many have the ability for the owner to step the spar themselves. Or to build a tabernacle so that you can do so. And given that, which boat then becomes a questions of budget, & what features you want her to have. Which, most anything that's trailerable will be easy to singlehand, & have shoal draft.

Pacific Seacraft (PSC) makes some nice small boats. And we had a couple of Chryslers (22' & 26') growing up, that were sweet sailing boats. The 26' has standing headroom, & can be had with a swing keel or fixed, with both being shoal draft. The 22' has a pop top cabin, should you choose to use said feature in port or at anchor, which gives you standing headroom. And for a 22' boat they have decent accomodations.

The PSC 20' Flica, & 24' Dana have standing headroom, & have traveled to all corners of the globe. Likely to include a few circumnavigations. Look up Sockdolager; here on CF, online, Facebook, & on Youtube. The couple that owns/owned her sailed her all over the Pacific & back. Here's one link but there are dozens more.

Also, there's a big, big list of small boats suitable for cruising at Atom Voyages - Good Old Boats List Along with many tales of the expeditions on same.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 06:17   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
And how much of the total distance of The Loop are those two limited areas?

I know where your going and can see your point, it is of course mainstream thought.
I also think that a powerboat is probably a better choice for the loop, or maybe you see them way more often as the loop is within their limitations so much better than open water is?
However displacement per displacement their is no boat that is as easily driven as a sailboat hull, meaning that a sailboat will burn less fuel, often significantly less.
Then couple that with if the budget is small, that there are just tremendous numbers of 30 ish sailboats that are very, very affordable.
Most inexpensive 30 ish powerboats have big old twin engines, almost always gas motors and outdrives that can be nightmares.

So while maybe a sailboat isn’t the best design for the loop, maybe if given an budget limit for Boat and trip, you can get a larger boat who’s engine is in better shape that sips Diesel fuel, whereas a powerboat may eat up a lot of the budget in fuel.

No, I don’t think he will do much sailing, or need a fancy Autopilot, windvane, SSB Radio, or lots of other stuff.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 07:30   #13

Boat: T33, Nexus dory

The little Albin 25 mini trawler would be my choice for a budget looper. That boat will deliver near auxiliary sailboat mileage efficiency within the constraints
of displacement speed and have the option of powering up into semi displacement speed and seeing 8-10 Knots.

Back in the 1970’s I did several East Coast ICW transits in a Catalina 22.
The average speed was 3.2 Knots with sail being used 30%. As for waters like the Tenn-Tom, sailing days are truly rare. Stick down you miss the bridges and little else. If you see lots of wind it’s beacuse you are late in exiting. In that case the Big Bend of Florida already has its challenging winter pattern.

It’s possible to sail on the loop but it’s going to be tough inshore. Beyond the Big Bend expect some sailing. Going up the Atlantic ICW if you sail 30% you might be smiling. On sloops roller furling really helps. Motor sailing helps sometimes.

It’s your choice and it’s all good.
Tom-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2017, 07:42   #14

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I know where your going and can see your point, it is of course mainstream thought.
I also think that a powerboat is probably a better choice for the loop, or maybe you see them way more often as the loop is within their limitations so much better than open water is?
However displacement per displacement their is no boat that is as easily driven as a sailboat hull, meaning that a sailboat will burn less fuel, often significantly less.
Then couple that with if the budget is small, that there are just tremendous numbers of 30 ish sailboats that are very, very affordable.
Most inexpensive 30 ish powerboats have big old twin engines, almost always gas motors and outdrives that can be nightmares.

So while maybe a sailboat isn’t the best design for the loop, maybe if given an budget limit for Boat and trip, you can get a larger boat who’s engine is in better shape that sips Diesel fuel, whereas a powerboat may eat up a lot of the budget in fuel.

No, I don’t think he will do much sailing, or need a fancy Autopilot, windvane, SSB Radio, or lots of other stuff.
Yes, the typical sailboat hull is more efficient than the typical trawler hull because it's long and slender. This works against you though as far as interior room and at marinas where you pay by the length of the boat, not the square footage.

Not all trawlers have big gasoline engines, many are powered by a single, efficient diesel, usually inboard, not outdrive. Most trawlers have an interior, enclosed helm that's nice for when it's cold or raining. Many also have a flybridge helm for when it's nice weather and you want to see the sights. Trawlers usually have better visibility forward than sailboats. They usually have plenty of room inside and headroom in particular. The OP's wife might change her mind about cruising if it was on a trawler.

The OP stated in the beginning that he wanted a sailboat, that's why I wasn't going to post until I saw things about trawlers that weren't exactly accurate.

It's his choice of course, but I think he would be wise to at least consider a trawler.
Old 29-10-2017, 08:31   #15

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Seaward 32RK. Skinny water, no problem, trailerable, mast raising system, 1/2 gal/hr fuel consumption, great sail boat. I forgot, plenty of headroom too.
32RK | Seaward Yachts
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat