Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2016, 08:59   #31

Re: Boat Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDabs View Post
This thread is dangerously close to becoming a "what is bluewater" thread...
Oh NO! He used the "B" word!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 09:03   #32

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Sorry! Sorry!!!!!!!
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 09:24   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
We are looking for:
1. a good, safe, bluewater cruiser. ****this is first priority and is crucial!
2. This is not a requirement, but I do really like the center cockpit, so that would be favored.
3. I'm moderately claustrophobic, but feel very comfortable when there are windows bringing in ample natural light, and of course a wider beam also keeps me from feeling closed in. So, that would be really nice.

No Scarlet did, and what I'm saying is that some of the requirements may be contradictory. Wide beam, large "windows" and Bulewater may require leaving one or more behind.
So that maybe 1. up there ought to be defined a little is all, cause it's meaning is rather like "Pretty" which means different things to different people, and once you throw in that "Bluewater" requirement, you may in fact be eliminating a lot of very good boats that may fit your requirements better than a "Bluewater" boat.

Like the Soccer Mom and her 4 wheel drive expedition type SUV, in truth she would probably be better served with a mini van, but Status requires the SUV.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 10:48   #34

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga's Lie View Post
I believe the Bristol's fit your requirements nicely plus they are of classic lines and decent performers. Looks at the models between 1980 to the early-mid 90's when they ceased production. The 43.3 is one of my favorites, very liveable and can be had for about 100 grand less than your budget, saving $$$ for your cruising kitty and upgrades.
I went out and looked at a couple of different sizes in the Bristols, and I agree.. they are beautiful boats. I would definitely like to go and see one. I will have to see for myself if they are too closed in. But the interior is exactly what I'm looking for..
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 10:59   #35

Boat: Tartan 4100

Quote:
I went out and looked at a couple of different sizes in the Bristols, and I agree.. they are beautiful boats. I would definitely like to go and see one. I will have to see for myself if they are too closed in. But the interior is exactly what I'm looking for..
I thought you would like the woodwork They are getting older now but many have been well maintained but there are some that will need some work. Don't be afraid of the centerboard, it's well made and really can be sailed with it up most of the time and really only aides for windward sailing. The beauty of a centerboard boat like the Bristols is the ability to go into skinny water like the Bahamas. A 4.5 foot draft will be nice.
I had a Tartan 37 with a CB for 20 years and it's hull configuration is almost identical to the Bristols, so I know how they handle a blow and how well they handle choppy waters.
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 11:02   #36

Scarlet,
another one of my favorite center cockpit boat is the Stevens 47/Hylas 47, but they will be a touch more $$ for a newer model.
Old 20-05-2016, 11:04   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Why do you desire a center cockpit?

So, do you have need of a "Bluewater" boat?
Great question!

It's probably more of a logistics thing. I'm only 4' 13".. (lol.. in otherwords.. barely over 5 feet!) and I find that the center cockpits I've been on have much better visibility for me when at the helm, than the aft cockpits. The other thing is that pushing the cockpit towards the center of the boat, that usually opens up the rear cabin space. So that we get a proper master cabin. with more storage, and at least a semi-island berth. (a HUGE convenience for my husband who has a knee issue). Aft cockpit boat is certainly NOT out of the question. not by any means.. but visibility for me at the helm is important. That's why we need to get on some of these boats, and experience what the helm is like. So, please feel free to suggest any cockpit configuration. I'm looking at all of them.

Do I need a bluewater boat?I may have to go out to one of those "what is bluewater" threads! I consider Bluewater anything that isn't "inland" or "coastal". So, since we will be doing sailing which will require us being well offshore, with sometimes days without sight of land. it's important to get a boat that can handle some of the conditions that we may experience offshore.
Old 20-05-2016, 11:09   #38

Quote:
Don't be afraid of the centerboard, it's well made and really can be sailed with it up most of the time and really only aides for windward sailing. The beauty of a centerboard boat like the Bristols is the ability to go into skinny water like the Bahamas. A 4.5 foot draft will be nice.
I had a Tartan 37 with a CB for 20 years and it's hull configuration is almost identical to the Bristols, so I know how they handle a blow and how well they handle choppy waters.
Our current boat has a centerboard, and we love it! it's great for when the lake is a bit low, and we feel bottom.. just raise it up and go! It may also help overcome my husband's comment that "catamarans can go places that monohulls can't"...

Having said that... is a centerboard a good choice for offshore sailing? is it strong enough to withstand some of the heavier waves, and rougher conditions on the ocean?
Old 20-05-2016, 11:11   #39

Scarlet,
Are you going from a 22' to a 40+? Not totally uncommon but there will definitely be a learning curve! My boat neighbors just jumped from a Catalina 22 to a Tartan 4400, and they've adjusted well. They also had chartered a lot with larger boats.
Old 20-05-2016, 11:15   #40

Quote:
Scarlet,
Are you going from a 22' to a 40+? Not totally uncommon but there will definitely be a learning curve! My boat neighbors just jumped from a Catalina 22 to a Tartan 4400, and they've adjusted well. They also had chartered a lot with larger boats.
Yes. But not without a transition period. We live in Missouri now. My husband will retire from the military in 18 months. Then we will move to the panhandle, of Florida while he does some contract work for the military. At that time we will buy our bigger boat.. live-aboard, and spend a few years getting accustom to the larger boat before we take off for full time cruising. So, it will be a gradual transition...
Old 20-05-2016, 11:18   #41

Gotchya, If you live aboard at a marina in Florida, make sure you invest in air conditioning! At anchor, might not be too terrible, but I would need the A/C!
Old 20-05-2016, 11:26   #42

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Yes. But not without a transition period. We live in Missouri now. My husband will retire from the military in 18 months. Then we will move to the panhandle, of Florida while he does some contract work for the military. At that time we will buy our bigger boat.. live-aboard, and spend a few years getting accustom to the larger boat before we take off for full time cruising. So, it will be a gradual transition...
Trust me, it won't be as gradual as you think

I mean that in a good way!
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 11:39   #43

Boat: Amel 54

Quote:
Hi fellow sailors!
I usually don't come to this particular section of cruisers forum. Our future plans have been to buy a catamaran. But, recently, we've decided to, at least, consider a mono-hull. As such, I've been trolling some of the boat seller sites, and compared to shopping for a multi-hull.. the choices in Monos are a bit overwhelming. So many to choose from.

I'm wondering if I could ask for some help from you fine people to direct me towards some manufacturers that may fit our needs.

We are looking for:
1. a good, safe, bluewater cruiser. ****this is first priority and is crucial!
2. This is not a requirement, but I do really like the center cockpit, so that would be favored.
3. I'm moderately claustrophobic, but feel very comfortable when there are windows bringing in ample natural light, and of course a wider beam also keeps me from feeling closed in. So, that would be really nice.
4. the size we are looking at would be between 40' and 50'.
5. definitely used.. and we'd like to keep the cost under $250,000

We are really looking for a quality made boat, inside and out. We prefer the classic interior woods, because they are timeless, and if maintained, look as beautiful at 30 years old, as they do at 5 years. Some of the newer boats we've been seeing have that really cheap pressed wood/laminate crap, and I can't image that holding up over the years in salt water. plus it really looks cheap. This is going to be my home, and we have great pride of ownership. We want a beautiful boat, and we take very good care of our things, so we want it to stay beautiful.

We've seen a couple of manufacturers that we like the designs of, but we do not know how they rate as far as safety, and performance. (perhaps someone could give me their input on that). We like Island packet, and also Hunter makes some beautiful classic designs. But again, I don't know anything about their performance or safety.

(btw.. I'm also doing a thorough search of past posts, but wanted to get start my own thread as well, so it would be easy for me to refer back to in the future) All suggestions will be taken under great consideration!
Amel Super Maramu /alt/ Santorin /alt/ Sharki

It's the only center cockpit design that is modern and comfortable imo, all others are cramped and you have to climb up and around the wheel. In short, the wheel is in the way and it gets in the way.

The Amels are very safe, can easily be handled by two, have plenty of storage, are of high quality, plenty of fuel and water to go around etc.

Amel Super Maramu Boats For Sale

You may not find the design beautiful, but it is most functional and the design will grow on you.
Van Der Beek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2016, 11:53   #44

Quote:
Gotchya, If you live aboard at a marina in Florida, make sure you invest in air conditioning! At anchor, might not be too terrible, but I would need the A/C!
We definitely will need to have AC. my husband and I are ok with the heat.. but we have dogs that need to have some place cool to go as they can get overheated.
Old 21-05-2016, 03:27   #45

Looking a little further afield, you may find what you're looking for with a North Wind.
Pricing on these in your size bracket appear to vary wildly, but there are several on the market that seem really viable.

Best,

Jack.
Jack Verschuur is offline   Reply With Quote