Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2019, 05:24   #76

Re: Boat Swamped - Should I walk away from the purchase?

Ok understood but it's not a similar vessel and Cheeki wasn't a design or build fault as far as we know - but I do agree that ANY boat that has suffered an incident like this needs to be thoroughly checked out. Maybe fine but for peace of mind I would require it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawlmer View Post
I know you now this. Cheeki Rafiki was a Beneteau 40.7 that lost its keel in the North Atlantic. Speculation was that a previous grounding in the Carribean may have weakened the keel and caused it to fall off. Only conjecture mind you but should provide food for thought when considering the purchase of a similar vessel with a similar albeit more significant incident on its record. Nothing else intended.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 05:28   #77

Remember the old adage: "Rust and corrosion never sleep". At the very least, I would also carefully inspect the chain plates and their mounting hardware (could be intrusive) and insist on a new engine wiring harness. The engine, if it was quickly and properly "pickled" should be OK. Are there any traces of water in the engine oil.
Captain Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 05:52   #78
cruiser

There’s some really bad advice coming from quite a few on this thread. Hopefully, the OP will be able to sort out the good from the bad, and the downright ugly.

IMO this boat is possibly a diamond in the rough that most of the “just walk away” or “run don’t walk” crowd will never see or benefit from.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 06:05   #79

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

[QUOTE=grahamj;

Great boat at an excellent price and TWO life rafts to put your mind at ease.[/QUOTE]

davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 06:09   #80
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Boat Swamped - Should I walk away from the purchase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
There’s some really bad advice coming from quite a few on this thread. Hopefully, the OP will be able to sort out the good from the bad, and the downright ugly.

IMO this boat is possibly a diamond in the rough that most of the “just walk away” or “run don’t walk” crowd will never see or benefit from.
Agreed.. But walk in with eyes wide open and accompany the surveyor.. be ready to open access to areas you want checked because they do not like doing it.. they will only check spaces open to access already.

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 07:06   #81
CLOD

Boat: none

If the boat looks good and is below market enough to attract you then it is worth the expensive of getting a little more though survey done on it. Tell the surveyor the story and be sure they are going to plan to spend extra time looking at it. Yes there is an extra cost to that, but it's minor to pay an extra hour for the surveyor. There you decide if it is worth it to the OP to get the boat or not.

The boat doesn't need to be perfect (are there any), it just needs to be worth at least the purchase price. If you get a "dea" you have to be prepared that there are "issues"
Old 23-01-2019, 07:27   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by regex View Post
Haha... thanks for entertaining me. I was waiting for the first unhelpful troll response, you win. Basically, you're saying anytime there is a serious problem with a boat, you walk away. That is a safe strategy. I am pretty handy and I expect any used boat to have problems.

This OP is listening, digesting constructive feedback and has YET to make a decision on the path forward. Back to the bridge troll, I am not taking the bait.

Regex I dont think Tricolors intention was to troll. Composites are wonderful if done correctly but there are many variables that can be mismanaged that may give no indication in the finished work until a sudden failure. I am an aircraft mechanic and pilot and I can tell you I give careful consideration to what repairs have been done before I will fly the plane.

An aluminium aircraft is generally easy to inspect after repairs. The airframes will generally deform before failure so if a pilot has been giving an airframe a hard time you can generally pick it with rippling etc. Composite is not so forgiving and can be badly overstressed and give no indication whatsoever.

This may not hold true for yachts, but I am pretty sure I would sooner trust welded metals after a repair for ease of inspection.(apologies for personal bias) In the case of composites I would probably still hold an irrational suspicion in the back of my mind. I do agree that the longer time goes by and the hull is tested in operation the less likely it will be a problem. OCD however does play a part in this. One can never completely trust any structure in engineering to do so is foolish. Only you can decide at what point your diligence confirms the integrity of a repair.

Tricolors point to me is that you are the buyer with the cash. Why accept a fault when perhaps if you keep looking you may find a different circumstance elswhere. Its OK to be selfish. With the market like it is boats are only going to get cheaper as economic condtions deteriorate globally.

Tricolor's post also resonates with me because I am superstitious and paranoid.
Metal Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 07:32   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
I was profoundly affected by reading of what happened to the Cheeky Rafiki. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ic-126406.html For that reason, my first reaction was to advise you walk away, because that is the simplest way to avoid having the keel fall off, an experience I do not wish to have. (Although, one CF member I know did have a keel fall off, and sailed the boat safely back to port--Chuck Hawley-- a very interesting story it is that he has to tell.)

So, this boils down mostly to your confidence in the repair that was made, whether or not it is complete enough to have left the boat in a sound condition. The quote above gives you one indication of an independent way to confirm what the repair folks told you. Fwiw, I do not believe that injecting liquid epoxy into rotting plywood bulkheads would be a satisfactory repair, but I might be wrong about that.

So, I'd say, go ahead, but with caution. Do listen to your gut, and if it starts sending you warning signals, then abort the mission. In truth, there are many Benes, in Calif. that have not had water ingress. I would also say, encourage your good lady to talk with the surveyor, as well. If she is not happy, then you might want to find another boat. Best to find out at the get-go, not down the road.

Ann

Ann's example is a sobering case brought about by deficient repairs, and systemic failure. I couldnt agree more, one should never completely trust any structure, do everything in your power and then study some more how to verify integrity.
Metal Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 08:04   #84
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Boat View Post
Ann's example is a sobering case brought about by deficient repairs, and systemic failure. I couldnt agree more, one should never completely trust any structure, do everything in your power and then study some more how to verify integrity.
If one is going to waste time worrying about the keel or rudder falling off, maybe cruising isn’t a good life choice.

Our keel came loose on our Hunter 450, so what did we do? Had it repaired properly at a reputable yard to better than new condition, then we kept going. The Hunter was still a great deal on a boat well-suited for our purpose at the time despite the keel issue. We don’t waste time worrying about this stuff.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 08:16   #85
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Might be an idea contacting Bluewaters2812 by PM.. he's the member who was forced to abandon his Bene with all his family mid Atlantic after catastrophic failure of his steering gear when the ply supporting bulkheads collapsed and everything tore loose.. your boats been swamped and repairs supposedly done to that area but.. how much was replaced new, was it reinforced, what to look out for etc.
Not knocking anyone's work quality but things can be missed on pre work inspections and resulting job sheets..
But.. as others have said.. at the end of the day its your choices that count.. we are just the background noise..

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
Old 23-01-2019, 08:52   #86

I am astounded that the broker didn't include this in the written brokerage listing with an indication of the amount of repair needed. It is clearly material and must have been known to him. That listing is a legal document.

I see no reason to hire an expensive surveyor. Did the contract define the type of survey or the surveyor licensing? I expect you could "self-survey" and fail it solely based on the repair invoices from your due diligence. You aren't under any obligation to negotiate a reduced price - walking away is always an option.

But it may be simpler to tell the broker that the deal's off and you expect the deposit back by close of business. If he seems the least bit resistant, say you'll file a complaint with the state yacht broker licensing commission. Here's where:

Investigator - Marinda Isley
Marinda.Isley@parks.ca.gov
(916) 327-1839
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 10:06   #87

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

Run away, far away.

Think long term: It will be very difficult to sell it afterwards unless you will be ready to accept a major price cut.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 12:23   #88

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

87 posts!?
and I thought will be a clean cut couple of posts the most!
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 12:39   #89
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
87 posts!?
and I thought will be a clean cut couple of posts the most!
Your getting your forums mixed up.. this is CF..

Old 23-01-2019, 12:43   #90

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emouchet View Post
Run away, far away.

Think long term: It will be very difficult to sell it afterwards unless you will be ready to accept a major price cut.
I do not understand this logic, for you are purchasing the boat at a major price cut in the first place and then perhaps passing it along to the next purchaser.

Doesn't affect the decision process all that much.

Jim

Tags
beneteau oceanis, boat, purchase, run aground, swamped