Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 26-07-2020, 16:32   #1906

Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Do you have a link for that?

I like these boats a lot.

Oh yeah, a link would be nice.

https://m.sailboatlistings.com/view/86309
JC Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 19:27   #1907
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Reefer View Post
Oh yeah, a link would be nice.

https://m.sailboatlistings.com/view/86309
Very nice-looking boat! I like the layout; nice interior; lots of opening ports; going forward on the deck will feel very safe with the shrouds on the inside and the gunwales.

Canadian owned and in the Bahamas might limit the number of buyers. Who wants to go to the Bahamas (if allowed) right now for an older, cheapish boat?

Somewhat under-sized anchors for my taste, this is a heavy boat. I'm not sure if that's a windlass on the foredeck.

Not sure why there are no cushions in the v-berth.

3 cylinder Yanmar engine, I think.

Outside teak is probably original and needs refinishing.
(If it were mine, I'd get rid of the teak "eyebrows" over the portlights and paint a colored stripe - we did that on our boat; it looks great and is far less trouble).

Almost certain to be leaks on a boat this age especially around the hatches, portlights, stanchions, and exterior teak.

So, it depends how picky you are, how much work you want to do, and how you get to its location; if you wanted a boat this size, I think it might be a good buy.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 01:35   #1908

Boat: looking to buy my own 40 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonsena View Post
Hi guys, I have been reading this thread and found only (or most of it) sticks to north america. I was wondering are there any advices on getting boats in Europe under the same budget?
I have been trying pretty hard the last two months but as you probably suspect it's pretty hard to get a reply from someone especially in decent englishes do you ask for any specifics, all right turn straight to trying to call with Skype or another app that I use that allows me to have free texting or calling in North America when looking there and try a few emails letting them know I'm motivated and serious given that I am for best results to get a call back. Tha VAT tax is something you should always investigate if they say you need to pay it because in most cases if it's been paid once on the vessel I don't think you need to especially if you're not going to register at their butt sometimes brokers are people just claim you owe an extra five or 7% or whatever it may be in that cash can be pocketed I'm not saying everyone does that by any means but in similar situations people have made poor attempts to pull the wool over my eyes with things like that saved myself 6K last year anyways. I was talking to someone about flying over right away and they told me the boat yards are closing August 8th and I didn't know whether they meant the rest of the year or if it was a covid-19 or what no one ended up replying.
Another tip that might be obvious to some but whatever website you end up on look for a place where you can create an alert for whatever boat you're looking for specifically and then you should get that to your email instead of looking at the same boats over and over trying to find the new listings or something else. Sometimes please listing sites have a pop-up that offers you to create that alert I find it's pretty handy. Sorry I ain't got much more than that or anything much better but YouTube was pretty helpful.I would try that a little bit there is always videos on sailing boats and how to buy overseas and how to buy and this way and that way.

Much luck!
Lucas1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2020, 01:53   #1909

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianopraze View Post
I just went saw this in person.

The photographer was very good.

In my opinion it in no way reflects conditions of the boat I saw.

I was ready to write a check when I went down there, I left heartbroken.
I was very very seriously considering this boat myself and other formosus, it has very nice woodwork and overall looks pretty good and kind of old-fashioned in a good way.
And of course the price is super attractive without spending too much I think you could set it up to your liking quite easily especially if you were looking at boats willing to pay around 50k or so, these boats were also called spindrift at one time anyway and I read a post I believe on a YouTube video in the comments section and there's kind of a dramatic story behind it regarding a guy stealing a bunch of high-profile people's down payments but anyways now I know why nobody got back to me as you say it's been spoken for not surprisingly.
I'm glad to see it's the same horsepower is mine well 11 hp less apparently and only 2,000 pounds lighter mind being steel, as I was looking into a few things today regarding being underpowered prop size and pitch etc and Hull speed just because the original design plans for a Hydra 46 says "twin-screw" and "semi cutter " but this meticulous builder removed one of the engines or I should say only installed one claiming to be a 65 horse even though the eng model numbers.are the same, rebuilt in 2008 maybe they squeezed a bit more torque out of it somehow.

If you haven't found something already don't panic or get too worked up not that you have but I did for a bit, there's no shortage of boats out there and something almost exactly like you want will come along if you stay on top of things,
I've been getting jerked around on the boat I was working on getting, shity total joke of a broker but I was dealing with that first can't even fire off a text message to confirm he has a corrected sign of an offer that is in to the buyer that night let alone the next day drove me mental until I ended up calling the marina and started dealing with other people which they don't like but that's what you get if you for no apparent reason to abandon someone ecstatic about getting a boat seemingly for an amazing price as it was at the time, the next day after my first offer what should have been asking price so he would have been obligated to sell or pay commission but I wasn't exactly Council you very well and they we're raising the price apparently at the same time I was offering asking price for it and the person selling it for the current owner told me it was mine later that day along with $8,000 electronics that were not advertised and still in the box top of the line model high quality complete package for anyting navigational and Singal based.
I was a exstatic and then the next morning the price was up 30k... After a few days of that I had to tell myself to just calm down and be patient as I was definitely riled up. Good luck you'll find your ship out there if you haven't already.

All the best.
Old 29-07-2020, 02:00   #1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Yeah, most people keep multihulls of this size at moorings. Not a bad price, decent sized engine and the interior would look much better if it was varnished and painted.
I was looking at this one a few weeks ago to it's literally 4 minutes down the road from my truck that I'm sitting in right now close to the place where I am living at right now there's another decent boat a Whitby 42 but those owners seem to be in some sort of club and many of them have their boats valued at two or three times the price oh, it is a nice boat very well taken care of and they are very well built, anyone ever sees boats on Vancouver Island especially anywhere around Genoa Bay like this one I can always go look for you.
Old 30-07-2020, 16:03   #1911
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Check out this Golden Wave 42 in Maine; great price, great boat; must sell https://www.popyachts.com/sloop-sail...d-maine-211871
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 16:11   #1912
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
Check out this Golden Wave 42 in Maine; great price, great boat; must sell https://www.popyachts.com/sloop-sail...d-maine-211871
There is a reason for that price.

A recent preliminary survey of the boat reported: A surveyor went to take a look at the boat today. According to him, the boat has extensive water damage to the deck, interior woodwork and even structural delamination of the mast step. In addition the water has even caused the headliner to fall down in many places.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 17:19   #1913

Boat: Looking

I have read on here that popyachts is known for scams or scammers so buyer beware.
Old 30-07-2020, 19:18   #1914
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas1983 View Post
I was looking at this one a few weeks ago to it's literally 4 minutes down the road from my truck that I'm sitting in right now close to the place where I am living at right now there's another decent boat a Whitby 42 but those owners seem to be in some sort of club and many of them have their boats valued at two or three times the price oh, it is a nice boat very well taken care of and they are very well built, anyone ever sees boats on Vancouver Island especially anywhere around Genoa Bay like this one I can always go look for you.
Good to know!
A Whitby 42 just sold for $60K or so in Iroquois, ON. Nice boat, and the young couple who bought her will be going South in the Fall (out the St. Lawrence).

We knew the old owners. The boat was for sale for $90K for a looong time. Eventually they just gave up and sold it - they had an RV and wanted to retire go off in that.

So sometimes you just have to be persistent, make lowball offers, or be in the right place at the right time.

Love Genoa Bay, although we haven't been back in 25 years! John Sampson was still there then.
Old 30-07-2020, 21:24   #1915

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
I have read on here that popyachts is known for scams or scammers so buyer beware.

Not only that but also the most unresponsive of all sites. Not sure how they survive such business model.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 04:11   #1916

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
There is a reason for that price.

A recent preliminary survey of the boat reported:

"A surveyor went to take a look at the boat today. According to him, the boat has extensive water damage to the deck, interior woodwork and even structural delamination of the mast step. In addition the water has even caused the headliner to fall down in many places."
When I looked at the pictures it seemed to me that there were a lot of leaks, watermarks and general water damage, but I didn't want to be discouraging to someone who might be jazzed about the boat.

Yeah, this is one of those that if it were given to you, you wouldn't want it. This one is destined for the rubbish heap.

Thank you, Mitiempo, for alerting the Forum!
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 11:10   #1917
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

I get emails from POP yachts almost daily. Not sure why. But they often state that the boat is ready to go anywhere then you dig a bit and find it needs lots of work.

I'm not looking for a boat anyway. Interesting to look though.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 16:18   #1918
SuW

Amother Endeavour, this one a 1981 32-footer. $21K CAD (~$15K US).
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/st-...oat/1515540870

In Port Dalhousie, Ontario, close to the Lake Ontario end of the Welland Canal and the Niagara River.

The pictures aren't very clear, so it's hard to say much about the condition. Diesel engine.

However, as I've bored on before, these are very well-built boats so the lowish price is perhaps for some reason that isn't disclosed.
Old 03-08-2020, 17:58   #1919

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
I get emails from POP yachts almost daily. Not sure why. But they often state that the boat is ready to go anywhere then you dig a bit and find it needs lots of work.

I'm not looking for a boat anyway. Interesting to look though.
I love pop yachts. It is the yachtworld for broken boats.
Old 04-08-2020, 08:38   #1920

Boat: 26' Mono w/ trolling motor

F-27 for $27K

I wonder if there is something wrong with it. As a mostly inland cruiser, this is my dream boat hehe, but still out of my super small budget (currently in a $4K Mac26D).

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...7-400-3541749/
montyp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price