Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 08-11-2016, 15:05   #286

Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Hey folks, I hope a question is ok in this thread.

I am an aspiring cruiser (I have my ASA certifications up through 106 and have skippered several charter boats up to 50') and was planning on heading down to Florida to buy a sailboat and begin living in the Caribbean for a few years. I have more than enough money saved up for the boat and am just planning on working through October 2017 to build up more for my cruising coffers.

As I'm a photographer, videographer, and software engineer, I'll be living (mostly solo, with occasional friends visiting) on my boat full time living fairly cheaply and doing a lot of computer work, so I need something I can single-hand and something that will keep me fed with electricity (using as little diesel as possible).

I regularly look at listings for boats in my planned price range ($25-35k) just to keep an eye on what I should be expecting when I finally leave Seattle, and just today I ran across this 1982 Ericson 36 RH down in Florida with an asking price of $25,000. It has a ridiculous amount of new equipment on it that was installed over the past two years. The two owners are my age (early 30s) and ex-military who'd bought the boat a year ago expecting to cruise the Caribbean until one of them got a dream job, so the boat is up for sale. It seems to be (both from the pictures and discussing it with the broker) in really good condition, with the main caveat to that being that the interior is not a nice teak interior, but instead has lots of plywood as it's the stuff the two owners installed so they could get up and running. Frankly I don't mind that too much, as long as it is functional and not gross it'll be fine with me.

If I did buy a boat now, I'd just stick it on the hard for the next year rather than shorting my cruising coffers.

So, on to my questions:
1. This is clearly a ridiculously good deal, meant to be a quick sale. How good of a deal is it? Of course I'd get it fully surveyed before buying.
2. What are the issues to look out for?
3. How is the Ericson 36 RH's motion at anchor?
4. How is its motion at sea?
5. Is the Ericson 36 RH a good liveaboard in general? What should I be aware of in terms of comfort and living on it?
6. The boat currently has rod rigging, which I would likely want to replace even after an inspection (as the broker does not know when it was last replaced). Would it be worth it to switch over to synthetic rigging, or stick with rod?

Thank you!
ReefTheMain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 17:22   #287
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy REEFTHEMAIN, and Welcome Aboard CF!

Since this is your first post and you are new to CF and have a lot of questions, I will send you (or anyone who asks) my Favorite Tips for searching the archives for answers to questions like yours. Look for a Private Message from me.

Here is a link to a list of previous discussions about the Ericson 36. Look over the links and dig into them and I suspect you will find many answers to your questions about that boat and other Ericsons' too.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...036&gsc.page=1

I do suggest you do the reading first, dig some. Then post a NEW thread topic specific to your boat in the Monohull Forum. Outline what you know, what you have found, and ask for input on what you have not found.

While you may get some answers in this thread, I think if you start a new topic focused on a specific boat model you are likely to get more replies. But first, do some digging or research in the archives. That is the fastest way to learn a lot.

One response to what you wrote above, pops in my mind. You mentioned the interior looked rough or was using just plywood.

To me, that would be a RED Flag and very likely a reason to pass on the boat.

The reason? Because very few people want a boat that looks rough inside, so even if you do buy it and use it, think about what you will do to sell it later. I would not want to get stuck with a big boat and the costs of keeping it, and it may be a great loss and liability later.

EDIT: I just looked at the boat (missed the link to it before) and it does look much better than I expected. So, the partial use of plywood is not totally bad, if they used marine plywood. The boat listing mentions new gear, which is good to have.

Is it worth $24,000?

I think there are a lot of boats out there around that asking price so you should look as much as possible before jumping, especially if you have to store it for a year before use. I would wait, keep looking, and learn more about the particular boats you really want. YMMV.

You mention ROD rigging. You can search about that here on CF too, to learn some of the possible costs of replacement and such. I personally would not want an old boat with rod rigging.

Good luck on your search! And have fun looking and participating in CF too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:47   #288

Boat: 1985 S2 9.2C
Thumbs up Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Uhh, don't look now Steady, but I think you are heading for that career as a yacht broker!
My thoughts EXACTLY !!!

Steady --- Shall I send you what I'm looking for? And yes, I am subscribed to this thread and I have read most every post. Commercial over; now back to the show......

Keep 'em coming!!!
daw_two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:11   #289

Excellent thread, it convinced me to become a new member. Here I found this:

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/43992

What do you guys think?
Danielpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:44   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Passage making sailboat for sale | sailboats | Kingston | Kijiji

Mason 33 (37loa) steel hull, full keel, wind vane, volvo 25hp diesel, loaded, needs a bit of TLC.

Located in Kingston, Ontario Canada (Lake Ontario, east end).

Asking $9500 cdn (about $7000 USD)...asking price, motivated seller.
Hi there,

Are you the seller? I'm looking and interested, and would love to come by.
gabe1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:15   #291

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe1111 View Post
Hi there,

Are you the seller? I'm looking and interested, and would love to come by.
No, I'm not the seller. I'm local to the boat though...and was considering it for myself. I've been in touch with the seller, and he seems honest and just needs to sell. His wife is sick. I have a few more attachments if you want to send me a PM.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:48   #292
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielpe View Post
Excellent thread, it convinced me to become a new member. Here I found this:

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/43992

What do you guys think?
Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF Daniel!

I am glad this thread is helpful, and happy to hear it helped convince you to join us as part of this sailing community at CF.

I will send you (and anyone who asks) a Private Message with some of my favorite tips for CF.

In the meantime, I will give you a quick answer since you posted a boat link, but be aware I am writing from MY POV and not as an owner of that boat model or others. I am searching like you, and I have particular likes and dislikes too.

First, notice that ad says "PROJECT" boat. Given that most sellers are trying hard to sell an old boat, I appreciate it when they are honest in their listings to say "Project" boat to warn prospective buyers that significant work needs to be done to the boat to make it seaworthy or usable or livable etc.

So, given that, and the size and age, I would pass on that boat, and continue to look at other boats in that price level (e.g. Less than $20K) and focus attention on boats that are NOT project boats.

THere are PLENTY of boats that are about 35 feet long that are NOT project boats and still within that budget.

I am NOT saying that model of boat is bad, and from the photos it appears to be not a complete wreck. There are some aspects of its design I like but that is a personal taste thing. The most important thing is CONDITION and not age.

Hope that helps!
Old 10-11-2016, 19:16   #293
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is the first time I have posted this model of boat. I am posting it here as an example. The photos may be of other boats, as is usual. I was just notified of this new listing today.

Morgan 35

Full Keel

Asking Price = $23,000
Location = San Diego

1982 Morgan 35 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Steady's Notes:
This boat appears to be in clean condition. Note that there are many Morgan 35s out there and several different models, going back to 1970, so be careful when viewing photos and data and prices.
_________

Example Specifications:

Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:

Specs
Keel: Full

Dimensions
Beam: 10 ft 9 in
Minimum Draft: 4 ft 3 in
Headroom: 6 ft 2 in

Engines
Total Power: 30 HP

Engine 1:
Engine Brand: Yanmar
Year Built: 1982
Engine Model: 3HM
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Power: 30 HP

Cruising Speed: 5 knots
Maximum Speed: 6 knots

Tanks
Fresh Water Tanks: Stainless steel (40 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: (15 Gallons)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1433.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	135790   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1434.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	135791  

Name:	IMG_1435.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	135792   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1437.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	135793  

Name:	IMG_1438.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	135794   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1439.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	135795  

Old 10-11-2016, 19:47   #294
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Cascade 36

Asking Price = $23,000
Location = Vashon Island Washington

Sale Listing on Yachtworld: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1980...w#.WCU8drROKhB

Steady's NOTES:
This is the first boat of this make/model I have seen. It is the only one I have seen so far. I am posting it now for a couple of reasons:

1. I just received notice that it is a new listing on Yachtworld

2. I was impressed by the appearance of the teak interior. It looks very nice and some details and joinery work are impressive. It looks very "liveaboard" to me, and I mean that in a nice way as in "comfy" "warm" and a bit "salty."

This boat has a rather narrow design, but does have a fin keel and spade rudder. It also has an odd or unusual helm in that it has both a tiller and a forward wheel.

I was also impressed by the lightness of the interior, which appears to be a result of the many portlights and light colored teak wood and interior finish. It appears very nice compared to many other boats.

What I really like is the teak wood work. Especially the very nice chart table lockers (see those many drawers). That is shown in the last photo I am posting below. And some other little details such as the headliner and a nice clean looking head.

The photos show what appears to be some not uncommon Pacific Northwest green streaks on topsides or mold/mildew or "moss" (a little discoloration and dirty) on the outside but the interior photos show what appears to be a very clean and very good condition interior.

If a CF member is looking for a low cost liveaboard in nice interior condition with a nice layout, this is one I would look at.

Additional Specs, Equipment and Information:

Specs
Keel: Full

Dimensions
Beam: 10 ft 9 in
Minimum Draft: 4 ft 3 in
Headroom: 6 ft 2 in

Engines
Total Power: 30 HP

Engine 1:
Engine Brand: Yanmar
Year Built: 1982
Engine Model: 3HM
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Engine Power: 30 HP

Cruising Speed: 5 knots
Maximum Speed: 6 knots

Tanks
Fresh Water Tanks: Stainless steel (40 Gallons)
Fuel Tanks: (15 Gallons)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1441.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	135797   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1442.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	135798  

Name:	IMG_1443.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	135799   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1444.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	135800  

Name:	IMG_1445.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	135801   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1446.JPG
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	135802  

Name:	IMG_1452.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	135803   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1448.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	135804  

Name:	IMG_1449.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	135805   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1450.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	135806  

Name:	IMG_1451.JPG
Views:	198
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	135807   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1453.JPG
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	135808  

Old 10-11-2016, 20:56   #295
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

RED ALERT

Endeavour 37 Ketch

Asking Price = $19,900
Owner open to offers.
I have seen other Endeavour 37s with asking prices much higher usually $5K - $10K higher, yet in lesser condition than this one which has been upgraded or refitted recently.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1978...w#.WCVPl7ROKhB

DRAFT = 4' 6"
Location = Kemah Texas

Steady's NOTES:
I am posting this listing which I just learned about today for a couple of reasons.

1. This is a boat I would recommend for use if you are looking for a comfortable "liveaboard" boat or a boat for use in shallow DRAFT cruising areas such as Florida, Bahamas, or Chesapeake.

While this is NOT my first choice of a boat to own for me personally, it is one I would be happy to live on and sail in most places (coastal USA, Caribbean, Bahamas, even across an ocean).

IF I were restricted to a budget of $30K, this MODEL of boat would be on my short list to search for.

IF I were ready to buy, this particular boat would be at the top fo my list to see ASAP. That is why I put "Red Alert" at the top of this post.

The may sell quickly. IF a CF member does buy it, I hope you will come back here and let us know.

NOTE! There are TWO different layouts for this model of boat, so make sure if you are looking at others you compare the layouts. I prefer the layout shown in this boat.

It has some notable features:
shallow draft
Large cockpit
Private aft stateroom
Nice galley
Nice seating area forward (unusual layout that is conducive to liveaboard comfort)
Nice cockpit combings
Many opening ports (great for ventilation in Florida), and on THIS boat those have been replaced with desirable New Found Metals portlights!
This is a rare Ketch model. Most of this boat are sloops.

2. I have personal experience sailing one of these boats (sister ship) a few thousand miles in the Pacific in all kinds of weather. I was comfortable and secure at all times and consider it a good cruising boat. Since then I have looked at many of these online and kept an eye out for their condition and prices. This one was just brought to my attention today (Nov 10th) and I don't expect it to be available long.

3. This Asking Price is LOWER than most and yet this boat has several nice and desirable upgrades that have been done in recent years. Take a look at the list below from the sale listing:

Upgrades include-

Hull painted and bottom job 2012.

Cockpit cushions and interior cushions replaced 2012.

Running rigging replaced 2012.

All 10 ports replaced with New Found Metals ports with screens 2012.

LED navigation lights (3nm) replaced 2013.

Bottom job 2014.

Engine top-half rebuilt 2014. Rebuilt valves, rockers, injectors, new lift pump, rebuilt high pressure fuel pump, rebuilt starter.

New bronze 3-blade 16x17LH prop 2014.

Topsides painted 2015.

VHF radio with GPS and AIS receiver and remote microphone 2015.

Sails and Canvas:

Genoa 130 on roller furling with pacific blue sunbrella cover.

Mainsail with two reef points and slab reefing, lazy jacks, and pacific blue sunbrella cover.

Mizzen sail - refurbished 2014. Rigged for lazy jacks. Pacific blue sunbrella cover.

Pacific blue sunbrella dodger and bimini.

Sunbrella covers for hatches.

Yacht Highlights:

* Many upgrades

* Topsides painted in 2015

* Refurbished Mizzen sail in 2014
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1455.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	135809   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1457.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	135810  

Name:	IMG_1456.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	135811  
Old 13-11-2016, 15:22   #296
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Catalina 27

LOA = 27'
Year = 1973
Location = San Francisco Area
Asking Price = $1,000

This boat is priced less than what I paid for my first windsurfer!

Of course the total cost of a boat is not just the Asking Price, so be aware this boat may need work and refit, etc.

I am posting this to show you what is available and may help someone get their start sailing or coastal cruising.

The Catalina 27 is a very common and popular boat, with many built and available all over the USA. They can be a very good choice for a "first boat" if one is looking to have a small sailboat that can carry a couple of adults and children for some short "family camping" type cruising on lakes or bays or protected waters.

This is not a boat I would take offshore and not what I consider a "blue water cruiser" so don't expect that. However, this type of boat is suitable to learn to sail a small cruising keel boat and has enough room to carry a small family or close friends.

Most Catalina 27s have a small dinette, a Vberth, a small sink, and possibly a porta potty.

I have seen used Catalina 27s for about $5,000 - $7500 but some are more expensive and some less.

Here is one that caught my eye today because it is the lowest priced one I have ever seen, and from the ad sounds as if it is in good sailing condition (not a wreck or derelict or "project" boat).

As with ANY used boat: Caveat Emptor!

From the Sale Listing:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/5870079056.html

we are moving out of the bay area and have to sell our beloved catalina.

refer to notes below but feel free to contact me for additional info/questions.

- boat comes with 2 main sails and 1 jib
- boat was hauled out and the bottom re-done in 2014
- boat comes with 2 solar panels that power the electrical system (including new LED lights)
- solar charge controller installed and fully functional - charge your phone or laptop with solar power!
- 101 pound Minn Kota Riptide Salt Water Electric Outboard Motor. fully functional with 3 car batteries providing 36V. we charge the batteries at the marina between trips.
- cushions included and in good shape
- depth sounder included
- marine radio included
- DMV registration expired in late 2015
- no head
- propane stove and propane tank included
- 2 anchors (including a massive 50lb one) included
- inflatable dingy and paddles included
- the boat is currently in an extremely affordable slip (~$210/month) in alameda. we had no trouble taking over the slip from the previous owners, so you can do the same.

Work needed

- motor needs to be re-mounted (we recently bought an improved mount)
- current tiller is functional but new tiller needs to be installed
- water pump needs to be replaced (we keep a few large jugs on board and that works fine for us)

we are sad to part with our dear boat as we have had many great adventures sailing around the bay, but we know that you will love our boat as much as we have!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1547.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	136144   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1548.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	136145  

Name:	IMG_1549.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	136146  
Old 13-11-2016, 15:59   #297
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Up above I posted a link and notice about a Catalina 27 (1973 model) that is listed in Alameda for just $1,000.

In comparison, here is another Catalina 27 (1979 model) that is also in Alameda and listed for $15,500.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/5856773505.html

Both boats in Alameda California. Both Catalina 27. Both listed in Craig's List.

While the sale listings may be obsolete or dead by the time you read this, as often happens with listings like that, I posted these two to show CF readers the TYPE of boat and the RANGE of prices to be expected.

Shop around, and always remember these points:

1. Caveat Emptor!

2. A boat's condition is more important than a boat's age.
Old 15-11-2016, 12:03   #298

Boat: Between boats--currently shopping

Steady got my looking at the Endeavours and here is another 37. 12K but looks like a lot of work has been done on the refurb. Especially like that the motor has been rebuilt and the hull primed.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/58926
AZ Parothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2016, 12:27   #299
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Parothead View Post
Steady got my looking at the Endeavours and here is another 37. 12K but looks like a lot of work has been done on the refurb. Especially like that the motor has been rebuilt and the hull primed.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/58926
Hi PAROTHEAD.
Thanks for adding a boat to the mix for discussion.

I followed that link and read the description (See below) and looked at each photo.

I don't want to discourage you if that is the kind of boat you want, but I also have a different opinion about that particular boat.

Remember, I do like the Endeavour 37 ("A" plan especially) and have recommended it as a noteworthy model up above in this thread. So, my comments are about that particular boat in that linked sale listing, NOT a criticism of ALL of the Endeavours.

I am in a hurry now, so my poste comments will be brief, but are offered in a friendly tone of voice, as if speaking with close friends:

From the Sale Listing:

Endeavour 37 Plan A 1981

"This boat is currently on the hard as we were planning on a complete re-fit.
all stainless rigging is in excellent shape.
the wood was stripped sanded and sealed and bungs were repaired.
the boat is cutter rigged and all sails are in amazing shape. the only damage is to the sail cover on the genoa is tattered but the sail is fine. the exterior is primed with a two part epoxy primer ready for what color paint you would like. the boat has had all blisters filled and sanded and only needs bottom paint. the top deck has no soft spots except in the cockpit, there is a small crack on the floor. the helm is a Richie and is in great shape shines like new. both the water tank and the fuel tank where removed and a fresh coat of bilgekote was applied the tanks where cleaned and painted with a industrial coating as to never tarnish or rot.

the tanks are not hooked up as the work was just done.

The boats engine is a perkins 4.108 and all seals where replaced as well as a rebuilt transmission. both of which are in the shop located 5 feet from the boat.

all wiring was replaced around 5 years ago, and has 4 new batteries,

the interior is where there is some work to be done. nothing is missing but the parquet flooring has pieces that popped out all of which are stored in the boat.

there is a windlass anchor at the bow as well as a brand new stainless steel pulpit. the bow of the boat was sanded down on the deck and new glass was layed and it is primed and ready for paint.

the boat is 80% done and the price reflects that.

the boat also come with a 10 foot AB inflatable without engine.
also the boat yard has been paid already to transport the boat to the water so that is free for who ever buys it."

My Quick Assessment:

This is a project boat. And, to my eyes, it has a lot of work needing to be done.

This is a boat that has the engine and transmission removed. $$ to replace and get running, IF it will run well or at all.

The boat has had a new pulpit put on, and the foredeck glassed. That is Red Flag to me and indicates a possible repair needed because of some kind of accident or crash. ???

The floor looks like it is in bad shape. The Endeavour floors are teak parquet. Most I see are much better condition. Did this boat suffer some water damage? ???
New wiring in last few years? Was there water damage? ???

The boat may be primed, but it will need to be painted. $$$

There is a soft spot and crack in the cockpit floor. That may not be uncommon, but commonly leads to extensive ROT in the cockpit deck sub structure (wood) because an open cockpit typically collects rain water. This can require ripping out the entire cockpit (and that shiny helm) and many hours of labor to fix. I have read a blog by a CF member (can't recall name now) who had a boat that had this problem, and it took him many hours of work, messy work, to fix. I am not saying that is the case here, but it is a possibility I would rather avoid. YMMV.

The cushions and entire interior look very dirty and bad to me. $$

I have seen much better condition Endeavour 37 boats with engines in place, no need to paint, nice interiors, and apparently "ready to sail" for a few thousand dollars more than this project boat. (See earlier listing I posted for one that looks great and is Asking Price just $19,900).

So, my view?
I would pass on this one. To me, it is not worth the $12,000 Asking Price when there are much nicer boats out there that are not much more expensive and "ready to go" sailing (time has a value to me) and have fewer "unknowns."

I hope that helps.
Old 15-11-2016, 13:29   #300

Boat: Between boats--currently shopping

Keen eye steady! I agree with your thoughts here. It's too much of a project for me but perhaps some other enterprising CF member could find this a diamond in the rough

Incidentally I reached out to the broker for the Endeavour you listed above. The motor won't run. That's why is is priced as it is. More photos and vids at svtradewind.com
AZ Parothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price