Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 13-11-2021, 07:27   #3031
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
1975 C&C 33 sailboat for sale...
Nice, clean-looking boat. Fairly simple. Decent price. Small by today's standards. Small tankage usually. It doesn't say what the draft is.

It looks like it's been used as a day sailing/racing boat. No stove, very few cushions, no dodger, barely legal anchor.

Small cockpit, with big wheel. Mainsail traveller at the companion-way entrance (a nuisance, imo).

Good paint job on deck. The woodwork is in good shape for its age.

Someone who cares has looked after this boat.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 16:01   #3032

Boat: Beneteau 46

Here's a seller's seller. One picture. No questions or inspections allowed. Come with cash or piss off. Well I'm sold. Please, take my money!

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...402993578.html
Indolent58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 16:16   #3033

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Nice, clean-looking boat. Fairly simple. Decent price. Small by today's standards. Small tankage usually. It doesn't say what the draft is.

It looks like it's been used as a day sailing/racing boat. No stove, very few cushions, no dodger, barely legal anchor.

Small cockpit, with big wheel. Mainsail traveller at the companion-way entrance (a nuisance, imo).

Why would you critique this guys boat? Do you think this is useful or are you just being mean spirited? How would you feel if someone (unsolicited) wrote this about your boat?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2021, 17:57   #3034

Boat: Sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indolent58 View Post
Here's a seller's seller. One picture. No questions or inspections allowed. Come with cash or piss off. Well I'm sold. Please, take my money!

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...402993578.html
Well at least someone in the family had some sense. "as the said family friend has sense passed away"
Old 13-11-2021, 18:04   #3035

Boat: Sabre 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post

Didn't notice the lack of stove. Might still be there, but not photographed.
Old 13-11-2021, 18:36   #3036
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Why would you critique this guys boat? Do you think this is useful or are you just being mean spirited? How would you feel if someone (unsolicited) wrote this about your boat?
What's your point? Did I say something untoward, dear?

I like the boat, it's decent price. I know boats like this and they're OK.
Old 13-11-2021, 18:41   #3037
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanathon View Post
Didn't notice the lack of stove. Might still be there, but not photographed.
Sure. It does say it has a set of racing sails, so they may have taken out the stove to save weight.
I knew people who took off the head door too...possibly here also.
Old 14-11-2021, 10:51   #3038

Hello everyone, I am a retired college president that is looking for a ready to go, set for cruising, alberg 30. I have had two passions in my life. Sailing and collecting fine art. My collection exceeds half a million. I am interested in trading some of my paintings for my dream alberg 30. Location does not matter, albeit, I do presently reside in Texas.
Bbadd4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 11:02   #3039

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbadd4ever View Post
Hello everyone, I am a retired college president that is looking for a ready to go, set for cruising, alberg 30. I have had two passions in my life. Sailing and collecting fine art. My collection exceeds half a million. I am interested in trading some of my paintings for my dream alberg 30. Location does not matter, albeit, I do presently reside in Texas.
I think that the chance of finding someone with a perfect Alberg 30 who is also a fine art collector are pretty slim.
IMHO you'd be better off selling your art to knowledgeable collectors who are in the market and then looking for your perfect Alberg 30, if such an animal is available.
Plus, this thread is about boats for less than 30k. I don't know the Alberg market but a ready to cruise boat of any make will surely be more than that.
Old 14-11-2021, 15:48   #3040
SuW

Quote:
Assuming you're serious, the Alberg 30 is a small boat by present-day standards. Also you'll have to define "set for cruising" for yourself.

A couple of boats for sale in the Toronto region:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/mis...147/1594011394

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/mis...-30/1589177367

Forget about trading for your art collection, NFTs or whatever. These guys will want cash, although they are reduced sized dollars.
Old 14-11-2021, 19:00   #3041

Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho

Quote:
...looking for a ready to go, set for cruising, alberg 30.
Lots of Albergs out there. Unfortunately as someone else said, the sellers are probably going to want cold cash. A 30' boat seems like a pretty small boat for serious cruising. Might want to look at a Alberg 37. It won't beat you up quite as much. Guessing your resources, even the 37 is moderately affordable.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats-for...keModel=alberg
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 19:09   #3042

Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho
Sailboat, Ed Monk

Sailboat, Ed Monk - $5,000 (Olympia WA)
This is a seriously interesting boat and for the right price. I'd be interested in hearing what people think of it as a cruising boat? I'm not all that fond of the double-ender design, but I'm going to be in the area in a few weeks and might go and look at it if it's still available.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/b...407864685.html
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 19:24   #3043
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32
Re: Sailboat, Ed Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post
This is a seriously interesting boat and for the right price. I'd be interested in hearing what people think of it as a cruising boat? I'm not all that fond of the double-ender design, but I'm going to be in the area in a few weeks and might go and look at it if it's still available.

I wonder why it is so cheap. Must be a reason.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2021, 19:37   #3044
SuW

Re: Sailboat, Ed Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post
Very interesting. Lots of good gear on this boat. Also, probably an excellent dockside live aboard. It probably won't last long at this price.

Incidentally, the only electric sailboat that I encountered was an Alberg 30 whose Atomic 4 had failed and had been removed. The owner had a decent mechanical background and converted it to electric.

It would move around on the electric motor, but didn't have enough charging capacity even with a large solar panel to move upriver for more than one or two days at a time (the current in the river here is 1-2+ knots, wind usually in same direction). We lent him our 3 hp outboard and they used that to help them.

Eventually the owner abandoned the boat and removed the electric motor, batteries and panels. I'm not saying it couldn't have been made to work, but it worked best as a day sailing boat with a dock plug in.
Old 14-11-2021, 20:32   #3045

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:

First, Welcome to the forum. To point out the obvious...wouldn't it make more sense to sale a piece of art to a person interested in art?...Then but a boat with that money? As pointed out previously, there are many boats that might serve you better than an Alberg 30.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price