Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 05-01-2022, 21:59   #3376

Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Seaworthy for passage making?

Possible to rig for single handing?
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 22:09   #3377

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post
Seaworthy for passage making?

Possible to rig for single handing?
The Bounty? Yes, seaworthy. I don't know of anyone singlehanding one, but I am confident it would be fine with the right vane and adaptations.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 23:38   #3378

Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho
1974 Cal 2-46

1974 Cal 2-46 46 ft blue water cruiser - $30,000 (Titusville FL)

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/...429061068.html
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 23:45   #3379

Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Now I'm a 3 boat owner...
Old Chinese proverb: "He who dies with the most boats, wins"
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:11   #3380

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: 1974 Cal 2-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post
1974 Cal 2-46 46 ft blue water cruiser - $30,000 (Titusville FL)

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/...429061068.html
Now that's a great deal for that boat. One of the best conditions I've seen on here. The interior looks great. Has a watermaker and other good gear. It looks like the sheave brackets have pulled away form the bulkhead...easy fix.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:14   #3381

Quote:
Old Chinese proverb: "He who dies with the most boats, wins"
I'll be letting the Westsail 28 go in the early spring. Might even put the Whitehall rowing skiff up for sale also. In have way too many projects going on right now...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 06-01-2022, 09:51   #3382

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Don't know if this has been posted before, it's been for sale for a while. Great design, great builder, great pedigree. Needs a "bit of tidying up" if only I was a bit younger...https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/196...sloop-7943330/
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:16   #3383
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Today was the day we hauled out for the "below the waterline" inspection...
So I gave the Ok to move into the next phase of paperwork, having all parties sign and initial the bill of sale and a few minor details with getting personal property off the boat and things the sellers have at their home back on the boat, such as all the manuals.
That's excellent. Some things to do, but well-within normal parameters.
How were the thru-hulls?
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:19   #3384
SuW

Quote:
I'll be letting the Westsail 28 go in the early spring. Might even put the Whitehall rowing skiff up for sale also. In have way too many projects going on right now...
Aw...if it weren't for the thousands of miles I'd have to go, I'd love me a Whitehall...! Our home marina is also home to my rowing club and we've got lots of fancy rowing boats of all types, but not one of those.
Old 06-01-2022, 10:35   #3385

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Aw...if it weren't for the thousands of miles I'd have to go, I'd love me a Whitehall...! Our home marina is also home to my rowing club and we've got lots of fancy rowing boats of all types, but not one of those.
Its a very nice pulling skiff. I may keep it...not sure yet.
Old 06-01-2022, 10:49   #3386

Boat: Still searching

https://wilmington.craigslist.org/bo...428593188.html

Does anyone know something about this Grampian? I live in VA and I can't find any info online about it.
SailingSeaGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:53   #3387
SuW

Re: 41’ Rhodes Bounty II

Quote:
[B] 41’ Rhodes Bounty II - $24,900 (Oriental NC)/B]
https://eastnc.craigslist.org/boa/d/...429189564.html
Interesting boat. We looked at one of these many years ago and they have quite a small interior for the length like most boats of that time.

I remember the feeling of being inside a plastic liner was a bit overpowering, no teak ply walls as was designed in later boats. This feeling can be overcome with paint, some rugs and wall decorations.

Nice, simple interior, no dining table (an advantage, imo). The interior cushions look pretty thin and might not be that comfortable.

I'm not sure what the white-painted plywood step is in the cabin. Perhaps I'm misremembering?

Yanmar 3-cyl diesel I think, so this must have been re-powered in the last 30 years. There is water in the bilge under the engine, possibly rainwater or from the stuffing box, I suppose. Perhaps the stuffing box is difficult to access?

I like an Origo cooktop, although this one has missing knobs for the controls. The plastic breaks down after 25+years of use; you can make new ones (as they appear to have attempted). Hopefully the pot holders are on the boat, but the mounting rails are missing. There appears to be clearance at the sides to allow potholders to be used.

These boats have large cockpits. I'd like to see more pictures.

Things to look for: delaminating (oil canning) of the foredeck, if present, you can fix this when putting in a windlass!
Old 06-01-2022, 11:14   #3388
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo View Post
Don't know if this has been posted before, it's been for sale for a while. Great design, great builder, great pedigree. Needs a "bit of tidying up" if only I was a bit younger...https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/196...sloop-7943330/
I dunno. That cockpit is a mess, in spite of the shiny table. What other deferred maintenance is there? I'm surprised a broker would show this boat.

And a tiller on a large boat is not my choice.

The same comment about interior space should be made. These are really small interiors, although deep bilges and plenty of storage, they have small tanks and deep drafts.
Old 06-01-2022, 11:49   #3389

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Interesting boat. We looked at one of these many years ago and they have quite a small interior for the length like most boats of that time.

I remember the feeling of being inside a plastic liner was a bit overpowering, no teak ply walls as was designed in later boats. This feeling can be overcome with paint, some rugs and wall decorations.

Nice, simple interior, no dining table (an advantage, imo). The interior cushions look pretty thin and might not be that comfortable.

I'm not sure what the white-painted plywood step is in the cabin. Perhaps I'm misremembering?

Yanmar 3-cyl diesel I think, so this must have been re-powered in the last 30 years. There is water in the bilge under the engine, possibly rainwater or from the stuffing box, I suppose. Perhaps the stuffing box is difficult to access?

I like an Origo cooktop, although this one has missing knobs for the controls. The plastic breaks down after 25+years of use; you can make new ones (as they appear to have attempted). Hopefully the pot holders are on the boat, but the mounting rails are missing. There appears to be clearance at the sides to allow potholders to be used.

Things to look for: delaminating (oil canning) of the foredeck, if present, you can fix this when putting in a windlass!
Yes, in the Bounties the engine was under the sole there which was not a good choice IMO, but Pearson later improved that getting the engine out of the bilge. Lots of S: simple, stout, seaworthy, seakindly, spartan, and yes small inside. When I was a kid there was a Bounty across from my boat for over 10 years and I always admired it. Lots of plastic, yes, and a lot of length for not much boat (relatively, today,) but that made it even more compelling, to me anyway. In fact it was in the slip next to the Downeast 38 I sailed. The Downeast seemed grandiose next to the slender Bounty.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 13:21   #3390
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:

The engine is under the white painted step.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/bounty-ii
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price