Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 09-01-2022, 17:17   #3421

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Ummm.. how about you get the one in post 3413 and let me take it for a spin or two before you move in?
I think that boat looks like it'd be a blast to learn on. Still pretty sparten for a grandma. If I were to buy it I'd let you deliver it for me..
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 18:05   #3422

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post

I'm coming to the conclusion that in these times I will not easily find my "dream boat" even though I can now afford it. So I'll buy a smaller, cheaper boat and wait it out.

Opinions?

Not sure we ever find our dream boat. I have/had looked for 1 1/2 years since I bought my Westsail 28 and decided soon after it was not going to fit my needs long term. I am definitely in the $30k or less (much less) category. I saw some good pedigree ones in various conditions and some well built bastard childs.

The vessel I am in the middle of purchasing at the moment is a 1979 Pearson 365. It checked off many of the boxes for me. I'm happy enough. I had been watching it for almost a year. It was outside my price threshold. It had been used as an entertainment platform on the San Francisco Bay. Eventually the price lowered until it was within reach. Even then I offered less.
In today's world, most people cannot work on a boat. They just don't have the skills and cant afford to hire them in. That said, there are lots of tired boats out there. You just have to be patient and have a good eye and bring a friend for a reality check.
I almost bought 2 Tayana 37s. One on ebay that I was out bid on for around $9,000. I hope the hatch over the v-berth leak on him at night! The other was here on "Boats for sale" but I was tied up in another boat deal at the time and it sold too. It probably was a blessing since I do not like bowsprits or teak decks. If you have the money, you are holding all the cards. Be patient.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 18:58   #3423
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Nice looking 1973 Tartan 34 at the head of the Chesapeake (Bohemia River).
$26.5K.

https://goodoldboat.com/advert/tartan-34c-2/

New engine. Newly painted topsides. New interior upholstery.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 08:03   #3424
SuW

Quote:
I'm preparing to sell my house. So I'll probably be renting a small apartment until I decide where to live. I'd like a small catamaran, 30-35". I am drawn to the Gemini mc, I think even older seawinds would be beyond my budget. I'll be Chesapeake, US east coast, Bahamas, and eventually I'd like to sail Caribbean. I will be solo mostly. So I do have a lot to learn and yes I'm really tired of waiting.
It's out of the price range of this thread, but there's a Canadian-owned Gemini in St. Lucia (owner in British Columbia, I think).

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/nan...ale/1601351917

Canadians who own boats in the South have been facing difficulties. Some are giving up. Often the boat isn't worth enough to bring back to Canada and it's costing money every year.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:04   #3425

Quote:
LOL I've condsidered and looked at them on line. They don't look very comfy for a live aboard which is my ultimate goal.

But an less than $30k tri might work in the interim.
There was a Prout 33 and a Gemini for sale in the past year on Florida's west coast in this price range. One had twin diesel inboards with one engine recently replaced. I think the owners want something a bit bigger for crossing oceans. They don't seem to last long on the market so you need to be ready to go when you see one. So they do come up from time to time. If thats what you really want don't give up.
Morequestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 12:23   #3426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Not sure we ever find our dream boat. I have/had looked for 1 1/2 years since I bought my Westsail 28 and decided soon after it was not going to fit my needs long term. I am definitely in the $30k or less (much less) category. I saw some good pedigree ones in various conditions and some well built bastard childs.

The vessel I am in the middle of purchasing at the moment is a 1979 Pearson 365. It checked off many of the boxes for me. I'm happy enough. I had been watching it for almost a year. It was outside my price threshold. It had been used as an entertainment platform on the San Francisco Bay. Eventually the price lowered until it was within reach. Even then I offered less.
In today's world, most people cannot work on a boat. They just don't have the skills and cant afford to hire them in. That said, there are lots of tired boats out there. You just have to be patient and have a good eye and bring a friend for a reality check.
I almost bought 2 Tayana 37s. One on ebay that I was out bid on for around $9,000. I hope the hatch over the v-berth leak on him at night! The other was here on "Boats for sale" but I was tied up in another boat deal at the time and it sold too. It probably was a blessing since I do not like bowsprits or teak decks. If you have the money, you are holding all the cards. Be patient.
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm just tired of waiting, especially with covid-19. I haven't been on a boat since 2019! I think I'm going crazy! I have some skills but IMO not enogh. So to my logic and reading people unable to even insure a 100k boat I'm leaning toward a "beater" boat.

So my skills are limited to home ownership, and some work related

Electrical; replacing wall switches and outlets, replacing light fixtures, I am pretty damn good at soldering and crimping.

Electronics; Little to none. Call in the brainiac children for anything cable, wifi, or computer.

Mechanical; I have changed oil, changed tires, air filters, and batteries in my cars. Cleaned the coils on the HVAC blower unit for the house.

Plumbing; I have replaced the garbage disposal (twice), replaced toilets, replaced faucets, installed a dishwasher,  replaced shower heads, unclogged sink traps.

Finishing; I have cut and installed wall trim, spackle, sanded and floated out walls. (Only 50% of The floating I would deem a good job) I have painted and am very good at that. I have laid flooring (mediocre outcome on that) I have replaced windows including the sills. I've sanded, painted, stained, repaired and reupohlstered furniture (reupohlstered only simple chair cushions)

It all sounds so impressive and the skills are transferable, but I am not convinced I could do all work myself.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:35   #3427

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
It's out of the price range of this thread, but there's a Canadian-owned Gemini in St. Lucia (owner in British Columbia, I think).

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/nan...ale/1601351917

Canadians who own boats in the South have been facing difficulties. Some are giving up. Often the boat isn't worth enough to bring back to Canada and it's costing money every year.
Thanks for the reference! But have to sell the house before such purchase and who knows if it will still be available at that point. Also having to search boats in other countries might seem a bargin, there's import taxes and delivery fees to be taken into account. Sometimes making a bargin not so much of a bargin.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:37   #3428
SuW

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm just tired of waiting, especially with covid-19. I haven't been on a boat since 2019! I think I'm going crazy! I have some skills but IMO not enogh. So to my logic and reading people unable to even insure a 100k boat I'm leaning toward a "beater" boat.
Electrical; replacing wall switches and outlets, replacing light fixtures, I am pretty damn good at soldering and crimping.
Electronics; Little to none. Call in the brainiac children for anything cable, wifi, or computer.
Mechanical; I have changed oil, changed tires, air filters, and batteries in my cars. Cleaned the coils on the HVAC blower unit for the house.
Plumbing; I have replaced the garbage disposal (twice), replaced toilets, replaced faucets, installed a dishwasher,  replaced shower heads, unclogged sink traps.
Finishing; I have cut and installed wall trim, spackle, sanded and floated out walls. (Only 50% of The floating I would deem a good job) I have painted and am very good at that. I have laid flooring (mediocre outcome on that) I have replaced windows including the sills. I've sanded, painted, stained, repaired and reupohlstered furniture (reupohlstered only simple chair cushions)
It all sounds so impressive and the skills are transferable, but I am not convinced I could do all work myself.
If you can do all those, pretty well all boat work is within your grasp. (Well sometimes you have to do it all upside down in the bilge or hanging from the mast...)

There are a lot of online videos and blogs to help. Even engine maintenance, knots, fancy rope work and rigging.

If you want a book, I'd recommend Don Casey's This Old Boat and Nigel Calder's Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:42   #3429
SuW

Quote:
Thanks for the reference! But have to sell the house before such purchase and who knows if it will still be available at that point. Also having to search boats in other countries might seem a bargin, there's import taxes and delivery fees to be taken into account. Sometimes making a bargin not so much of a bargin.
Well, any boat built in the USA should not have import taxes into the USA, I believe. I think this may apply to Canadian-built boats too, because of NAFTA, but I'm not sure.

However, I'm not an expert. I bought Canadian-built boats in the USA twice and only had to pay normal sales tax in my home province on the purchase price.
Old 10-01-2022, 13:03   #3430

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Well, any boat built in the USA should not have import taxes into the USA, I believe. I think this may apply to Canadian-built boats too, because of NAFTA, but I'm not sure.

However, I'm not an expert. I bought Canadian-built boats in the USA twice and only had to pay normal sales tax in my home province on the purchase price.
Thanks! Good to know!
Old 10-01-2022, 13:16   #3431

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morequestions View Post
There was a Prout 33 and a Gemini for sale in the past year on Florida's west coast in this price range. One had twin diesel inboards with one engine recently replaced. I think the owners want something a bit bigger for crossing oceans. They don't seem to last long on the market so you need to be ready to go when you see one. So they do come up from time to time. If thats what you really want don't give up.
Thank you for your encouragement! I'm not sure what I'll do at this point. I've felt I got this thread too far off topic. For now I think I'll concentrate on selling the house and then come back and weigh my options.
Old 10-01-2022, 19:00   #3432
mdc

Boat: 1982 Tayana 37 & 1961 Pearson Alberg 35

https://easternshore.craigslist.org/...405329601.html
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 19:08   #3433
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Looks like a nice boat. Well kept, even covers on the teak cabin top handrails. Newer fresh water cooled Yanmar looks spotless.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00c0c_2eoajqPKvcZz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	251020   Click image for larger version

Name:	00m0m_6IbyFStWlpPz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	251021  

Name:	00v0v_3hs1rVci7N0z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	251022   Click image for larger version

Name:	00N0N_aYu1ICV3NMAz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	251023  

Name:	00g0g_1oWZ5sWso7Zz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	251024   Click image for larger version

Name:	00J0J_kgsd3vHa52jz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	251025  

mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 20:32   #3434

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:

Well skills take time. I'm not sure it is true but it was for me...so bear with me. I can say most of my skills, if not all, were taught to me by the object I am working on. This was true with building houses, building boats and my Toolmaking business. Boats especially are the easiest. Everything is right there. The motivator is money and not wanting to spend it. Almost no human being is anymore capable that another...I said almost. Everything you need to know is in a book or on the net or on a forum like this.

Of course there are some jobs you want to hire out. Like bottom grinding. I learned a long time ago to spend money on that. But when I saw a person doing fiberglassing and knowing the yard is charging me 6 times their wages, I did my own glassing. Trust me...if you just throw yourself into the fray, you'll be fine. The smartest thing you will need to do is picking a winner of a boat.
Listing the things you have done probably outweighs most people outside of boating. Certainly a lot of boaters including a few members here.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 20:39   #3435

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:

You know, pertinent to this thread, I think you will find that once you are there, either in a harbor or cruising, you will find many kindred souls just sorta show up to help. You can't really predict it or quantify it, but you won't be just buying a boat, you will be joining a community too. Things and tips and a helping hand and "good deals" on things just start to show up. You won't have to do, or know, everything yourself all the time, or right off the bat.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price