Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 12-01-2022, 11:34   #3451

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Steadman, nice to see you back.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 11:39   #3452
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
I added the link to my post above. See the top section.
Thanks.

Looking at the pics it is steel.

Padded bulkheads?
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 11:58   #3453
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Thanks.

Looking at the pics it is steel.

Padded bulkheads?
Hi. Nice to see you again.
I respect you and your experience.

But I think you may be mistaken. What follows is written in a friendly tone of voice, among friends.

I mentioned in my OP that the broker's listing says something about steel hulls, but also indicates the hull material is fiberglass.

Looking at the hull (on hard), it appears VERY smooth, well rounded, and so I suspect it is fiberglass. It could be a rolled steel hull, but those are very uncommon, and unlikely in a Roberts design, unless it was made in the Netherlands (I doubt it).

Most of the Robert's builds I have seen are hard chine when made in steel. I don't see that in this boat's hull (on the hard photo below).

I do see what appears to be some rust on the deck near the windlass, but I suspect that is from a metal hatch cover or something else.

The deck looks like it needs some more nonskid (as it appears some of the fiberglass is showing).

That's how I see it. But, it is hard to tell from small photos. Who knows?

As for the "padded bulkheads" comment I made. I think the bulkheads (in at least one photo) and the interior coverings appear to be padded vinyl, with buttons, like an upholstered headboard is made in some beds. I will post a few photos below to show what I mean, these are from this particular boat. Look for the blue surfaces with "tufted" or buttoned covering. I suspect this was done to cover the fiberglass, to make it more attractive or insulated etc. The overhead in the salon looks the same (as I recall).

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 1.44.00 PM.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	251107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 1.43.02 PM.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	251108  

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 1.43.13 PM.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	251109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 1.43.22 PM.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	251110  

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 1.44.27 PM.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	251111  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 12:43   #3454
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

MORGAN 382

YEAR= 1978
ASKING PRICE = $28,500
LOCATION = Moore Haven Florida USA

LINK TO LISTING: https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/197...organ-7674896/

ALSO SEE: https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/morgan-382

BROKER SAYS:
"Purchased about 30 months ago, and currently cruising. She has a few very nice upgrades including a brand new Auto Pilot, New Anchor, Brand New Bottom as well as other miscellaneous upgrades.

The new bottom just completed December 2020.

Brand New Pettit Polyurethane hull was completed in January 2021, just before Re-launching.

Boat has just returned to storage from it's winter cruise to Key West. She cruised From mid January to mid March and sailed wonderfully. She even won 1st Place in the Schooner Warf's Bar Mono Hull Race 30' to 39' Class.
*Perkins 4-108 Diesel Engine - 50 HP - Completely Rebuilt w Currently 1100 Hours - Fresh Water Cooled

*Air Conditioning - Reversible - Unit is Newer and works well
*Newer Refrigeration - New Recharge January 2021
*Brand New EV 200 Ray Marine Auto Pilot WITH Hydraulic Drive Unit Installed 2020 AND New Display AND New Hand Held Remote (This is a $3,000 unit before sales tax and before install)

*Brand New Bottom - Down to the Glass, Popped, Epoxied, Sanded, Barrier Coated and Bottom Painted. Work Completed December 2020 .. (This is an $8,000 job)

*Brand New Green Pettit Polyurethane Hull January 2021
*Achilles Dinghy and 5 HP 4 stroke Outboard
**Brand new Pettit Polyurethane Hull Completed January 2021.
** While Cruising 2021 New reef fitting lines, roller furling lines, topping lift, exit plate for mast, and port light glass for the port lights. "

STEADY'S QUICK OPINION AND ADVICE TO NEWBIES

What I find while looking at older, less expensive (Under $30K ) boats online is a large number of boats that may be priced within that level, but may also require substantial refit costs after purchase. The need for a bottom job, blister repair, new sails, refrigeration repair, and more can quickly cause the boat to cost twice the initial asking price.

So, buyer beware! Or be prepared to spend a lot of money to refit a boat that is old and used and may have not been used much in a long, long time.

So, when I saw this boat, the thing that strikes me the most is the amount of work that has already been done on it, in recent year (or so), to prepare it for some cruising (or sale). Put simply, the latest owner has spent a lot of money on fixing the boat up.

That may make this particular boat an attractive opportunity for someone who wants to spend $30K and does NOT want to have to then immediately spend a lot of money on typical fixes.

Like buying a restored antique car, the buyer should be aware that repairs are only good if done well, and if good quality materials (or parts) were used.

So, if you consider buying this boat, ask to see the receipts. Take a look at the finished work. And always have a reputable, experienced boat surveyor do a survey too. As savvy buyers of boats, cars, and houses know, fresh paint can be good and convenient and appealing, or it can be used to cover some problems.

But, one of the facts of boat ownership is that many people buy a boat, spend loads of money fixing it up, and then decide (for various reasons) to sell it. One hopes to find that boat that fits our needs, but also has minimal need for repairs, or costly repairs. If someone else has already done those repairs, it could make a boat a better value if your budget is low.

SPECIAL FEATURE: SHOWER
One last thing, the Morgan 382 is one of the few boats this size that has a separate inside shower stall, separate from the head's toilet. This is a nice feature for those sailors who like to shower (not on deck) and want a "real shower" inside their boat. While this listing does not show the shower well, you can find better photos online via google search, or look at the post/discussion thread I started in CF about Boats with Showers.

Here is a link to that thread: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ll-142630.html

CAVEAT EMPTOR!
As always, take my comments with a splash of saltwater. I am not a boat builder, and I have NO connection to this boat or its owner or broker. I am not the most experienced sailor on CF and do not claim any expertise.

I am sharing my opinion on boats, based on my own likes and my personal experience (so far 8,150 offshore passage miles) sailing on a wide variety of boats (from oldies to new million dollar boats).

I have some personal preferences too. I tend to like classic styled boats. I like traditional styling. I appreciate good looks, use of wood, fiberglass hulls, and comforts.

For the purposes of this discussion topic, I am sharing boats that are inexpensive ( Less than $30K), or may be within the budget of many people. I am merely sharing something in this discussion thread that I saw and thought might interest some CF Members.

I also know that not every sailboat buyer is going to take their boat on a circumnavigation, and some never spend much time in "blue water." For some buyers/owners, it is OK to simply have a boat at the dock. Or one to live on at anchor. So, different boats for different folks. 

And there is no shame in wanting to own a boat that may not be ready for blue water or ocean crossing. Most sailboat owners fall into that category. We can all enjoy boats for different reasons. 

I hope this helps someone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 2.14.58 PM.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	249.0 KB
ID:	251112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 2.07.40 PM.jpg
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	251113  

Name:	morgan_382_drawing.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	251114  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 15:22   #3455
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Hi. Nice to see you again.
I respect you and your experience.

But I think you may be mistaken. What follows is written in a friendly tone of voice, among friends.

I mentioned in my OP that the broker's listing says something about steel hulls, but also indicates the hull material is fiberglass.

Looking at the hull (on hard), it appears VERY smooth, well rounded, and so I suspect it is fiberglass. It could be a rolled steel hull, but those are very uncommon, and unlikely in a Roberts design, unless it was made in the Netherlands (I doubt it).

Most of the Robert's builds I have seen are hard chine when made in steel. I don't see that in this boat's hull (on the hard photo below).

I do see what appears to be some rust on the deck near the windlass, but I suspect that is from a metal hatch cover or something else.

The deck looks like it needs some more nonskid (as it appears some of the fiberglass is showing).

That's how I see it. But, it is hard to tell from small photos. Who knows?

As for the "padded bulkheads" comment I made. I think the bulkheads (in at least one photo) and the interior coverings appear to be padded vinyl, with buttons, like an upholstered headboard is made in some beds. I will post a few photos below to show what I mean, these are from this particular boat. Look for the blue surfaces with "tufted" or buttoned covering. I suspect this was done to cover the fiberglass, to make it more attractive or insulated etc. The overhead in the salon looks the same (as I recall).

Hope this helps.
I think the following pics show evidence of steel.

Rust on the panel above the engine, rust stains on the deck, and rusty floor under the batteries. Also in the pic in the listing showing the cockpit the coaming to starboard has a very hard edge, more likely with steel than fiberglass.

The tufted bulkheads I noticed. My comment was more like "why?"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	251134   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	251135  

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	251136  
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 15:40   #3456

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHoot View Post
I consider myself well-read—especially nautical yarns—and I've never heard of Sterling Hayden's Wanderer. Looking forward to giving it a read.
He and his book ignited my passion to go cruising. He had a tough but adventurous life.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 15:42   #3457

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
I wish there was a LIKE button on CF, because I LIKE what is said below.

You've been absent for awhile. Thanks for starting this thread back when. welcome back.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 16:03   #3458

Boat: Corbin 39 (CC Pilothouse Ketch)

I agree the Roberts hull looks FG. Maybe whoever built it used steel for some bulkheads/framing etc. Interior looks so rough, puts me off, and buttoned padded vinyl, badly done is extra off-putting. The masts appear to hinge, so that is a nice feature.
Patrick of M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 16:14   #3459
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2004-bruce-roberts-flush-deck-7528966/

Some interior pictures that make me think the hull is steel.

One with batteries depicted, seems to show metal frames in green and perhaps a silver painted bilge on the right with what may be the transmission below.

One of the engine pictures shows a patch of rust on the overhead - probably a removable hatch over the engine; it was in the Roberts I have seen.

There's some steel inside the open lazarette. The lazarette cover looks to be steel.

The "toe rail" in one of the pictures with the windlass appears to be welded.

Also, the masts appears to be deck stepped, without much obvious support below deck.

There is an interior hull picture showing white insulation and what is probably a fuel tank on the left. Quite a bit of rust on the deck there, but the insulation is sprayed on, which is common in steel boats and appears to cover some relatively narrow strips of steel attached to frames. This may be the interior of the hull toward the after end and may be how the rounded chine was made.

As you mention, it is very unusual to have a round chine steel boat of this type. It's also fairly unusual to see such a late model (2004).

I have seen boats with fibreglass covering the steel. I wouldn't recommend this boat if that were the case, except as a marina live aboard.

I completely agree with you about the light in flush deck boats and this particular interior color scheme!

Good to see you back!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 16:53   #3460
SuW

Quote:
MORGAN 382 YEAR= 1978 ASKING PRICE = $28,500 LOCATION = Moore Haven Florida USA

LINK TO LISTING: https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/197...organ-7674896/

This is a nice find - any boat being so functional is very useful for a new buyer!

The engine is 1979 and only has 1100 hours? Perhaps the engine hour meter stopped The engine looks clean though, perhaps it was reconditioned and painted?

The bimini is the original colour (Pacific blue?) - different to the new sail covers (Erin green?). I prefer a dodger as well (to prevent every wave coming into the cockpit).

I don't think there's a windlass. Anchors: Delta and CQR both on rollers. Good to have two rollers.

Large cockpit, but the traveller is in front of the binnacle. No cockpit table. Self-tailing primary winches. New cockpit cushions .

Lazyjacks on mainsail. Mast steps. Genoa on roller furler.

New paint on topsides is decent. I'd add a contrasting cove stripe to set it off. If well done, the paint job is worth a lot.

Nice, clean interior. Most of the upholstery looks OK, but the starboard pilot berth looks like there had been a leak onto it.

At least 4 opening ports. The fixed ports look a bit crazed.

Much better than the average boat of its age.
Old 12-01-2022, 17:07   #3461

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Steadman,

1-Good to see you back.
2-Thanks for complementing my post above.
3-RE the Roberts glass or steel - can’t say from pics. There are some tell tails but the images are not good enough to know. I’ve 2 steel boats so I have some experience in looking at them. A magnet would tell you a lot.

That said, no compass at the helm station may be a clue.

EDITED TO ADD….
It is pretty clear the broker has no interest in this boat and put the minimum effort into the write up and presentation. So I am not surprised that there are obvious mistakes in the content. Much straight forward data is missing. No sail inventory.

Also I notice it says the boat is a 2004 with a 2004 Perkins 4-108. Did they even sell a 4-108 in 2004? I tried to find the production run but could not find it.

I am gonna guess this is a home built, the engine is probably a rebuild.

My GUESS is this a home built boat over number of years.

This COULD be a diamond in the rough for the right person. But someone would need to contact the broker and get the boats history. It may go for much less than asking, especially if an estate or distressed sale. Which I suspect. It just has that “smell.”
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 17:19   #3462

Boat: C&C 34

ODay 322 32' sailboat REDUCED! - $21,470 (Patchogue)(Long Island, NY)

https://longisland.craigslist.org/bo...428952858.html

Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 17:21   #3463

Boat: C&C 34

1982 - 30' Catalina Tall Boy Sailboat - $13,500 (Fairhaven, MA)

https://southcoast.craigslist.org/bo...428072695.html

Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 17:47   #3464
SuW

Quote:
1974 Islander 44ft ASKING PRICE = US$25,000 LOCATION Oxnard, California\

Year 1974 (Hull was laid up in 1974 and boat was launched in 1976)

BROKER'S LISTING: https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/197...er-44-8079480/

This is quite a beauty! As you say, a big boat.

8 opening ports, including in the V-berth! Very good for warm weather! Fixed ports look OK. Main hatch may need attention.

I like the apparently hull-attached chain plates.
I like the stackpack for the main. It looks newish. Dodger and bimini canvas appears in good shape, dodger windows are not bad.
I like davits.
I like the galley layout.

Engine hours: 600? When was this last rebuilt? No pictures of engine, incidentally. Or of anchors.

There seem to be a few pictures missing. Is there a saloon area with table? Between the heater and the galley?

Hmm...the listing says: "Heating: Wabasto diesel heater" - the pictures show a Dickinson Newport.

Cockpit appears large, I'm not sure what that large wooden box is, it has instruments in the back. The wheel looks small, possibly because it's in the middle of the cockpit. Older winches. Those look like wire reel winches on the mast.

Inflatable is old and sun damaged as are the horseshoe collars and the fender covers. Normal.

Starboard pilot berth hull interior is not finished. With a lot of older boats, this would have been a thin flexible plywood panel. If there was a leak it rotted. (I'd replace it with a piece of something like a Home Depot EXCELiner as used for shower interiors).

This boat has a lot of storage, but is small for its length as mentioned before. Good value, I'd say.
Old 12-01-2022, 18:11   #3465

Boat: Corbin 39 (CC Pilothouse Ketch)

https://m.facebook.com/marketplace/i...8268690437544/

40(+?) Coronado with sails etc.
Probably been posted here before. Started at 12000, now at 10,200, but I know they would take $5k(their unsolicited offer) possibly less.
Patrick of M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price