Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 05-09-2022, 05:55   #3946

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by riksf View Post
Hi! �� Been lurking for a bit, finally bit the bullet and signed up.

Went to see this Bombay Clipper 31 a month or so ago. Lovely, clean boat, but I don't think it's seen any upgrades since the '80s. To sail on SF Bay I'd want to add a roller furler, some cockpit instruments, maybe a repower, overall probably costing more than the boat itself. So I said no initially, but I keep second guessing...

https://rubiconyachts.com/yachts-for...postid=8377688
Had me sold at “electric windlass”.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:33   #3947

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:

Went to see this Bombay Clipper 31 a month or so ago. Lovely, clean boat, but I don't think it's seen any upgrades since the '80s. To sail on SF Bay I'd want to add a roller furler, some cockpit instruments, maybe a repower, overall probably costing more than the boat itself. So I said no initially, but I keep second guessing...

Welcome to the forum riksf. That boat is in my neighborhood. As with most brokered boats, it is a little high in price and will sit for awhile. Here is one on the east coast for $12K... https://rcryachts.com/yacht-details/...vessel=2791577

The boat looks very clean and well cared for and those hours on that Yanmar are considered as low hours. If you are serious, go see it. You're just over one hour away. If you were to make an offer, you could say the boat you're looking for has to have roller furling cost $3K and the electronics another $1500. Offer $16K and see what they would come down to.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 20:13   #3948

Boat: Westsail 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Welcome to the forum riksf. That boat is in my neighborhood. As with most brokered boats, it is a little high in price and will sit for awhile. Here is one on the east coast for $12K... https://rcryachts.com/yacht-details/...vessel=2791577

The boat looks very clean and well cared for and those hours on that Yanmar are considered as low hours. If you are serious, go see it. You're just over one hour away. If you were to make an offer, you could say the boat you're looking for has to have roller furling cost $3K and the electronics another $1500. Offer $16K and see what they would come down to.
Thanks (to you and others who replied), and sorry to post and ghost -- I'm a bit out of it after a blissful holiday weekend spent on the water

I did go take a look in July. It's remarkably clean and in good condition, though apparently nothing's been upgraded since the '80s (for example, the depth instrument is a giant analog dial in the cabin). It was definitely on the pricey side, as you and others have noted, but I see they've just dropped it to $18,700 in the last couple days (from 22k). Might be enough to get me out to Isleton for a sea trial!
riksf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 21:16   #3949

Quote:
Thanks (to you and others who replied), and sorry to post and ghost -- I'm a bit out of it after a blissful holiday weekend spent on the water

I did go take a look in July. It's remarkably clean and in good condition, though apparently nothing's been upgraded since the '80s (for example, the depth instrument is a giant analog dial in the cabin). It was definitely on the pricey side, as you and others have noted, but I see they've just dropped it to $18,700 in the last couple days (from 22k). Might be enough to get me out to Isleton for a sea trial!

Trust me...it's not going anywhere at $18k. Taking a sea trial means you would have to make an offer and the seller would have to accept. I'd wait another 3 or so weeks when we creep into October and the idea of paying $300 a month for slip rent throughout the winter keeps things real. St that point maybe offer $14K and settle on $15k.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 09-09-2022, 06:56   #3950
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
I actually like this boat a lot. Yes, the interior is dated and could use a major facelift but presumably it's all functional. I own a very similar boat of similar vintage and we have brought it back from near dead. It was worth it because we like the process and cruising.

It really depends what you want in a boat and how you plan to use it. A good marque, a decent previous owner (as opposed to a d*mned previous owner), good sails, good engine are most important.

If the electronics etc. haven't been updated since new, then there is less junk to throw out, although be prepared to rewire/rebuild the electrical system.

As we all know, the cost of keeping, running and maintaining a boat, any boat, will soon outweigh this purchase price.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 15:01   #3951

Boat: Westsail 28

Quote:
Trust me...it's not going anywhere at $18k. Taking a sea trial means you would have to make an offer and the seller would have to accept. I'd wait another 3 or so weeks when we creep into October and the idea of paying $300 a month for slip rent throughout the winter keeps things real. St that point maybe offer $14K and settle on $15k.
Noted. I'm not in a big hurry to buy and have my eye on a few other boats, but will most likely circle back on the Clipper if it's still on the market next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
It really depends what you want in a boat and how you plan to use it. A good marque, a decent previous owner (as opposed to a d*mned previous owner), good sails, good engine are most important.
Mostly what I want in a boat is a decent starter boat (after years of lessons and chartering). The previous owner seems to really love the boat and is only selling because he's moving cross country. I like working on things and expect to spend a lot of money+time on any boat I buy, and even after multiplying those expectations by 2 or 3 the prospect still appeals to me. But we'll see
riksf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 16:53   #3952
SuW

Quote:
Mostly what I want in a boat is a decent starter boat (after years of lessons and chartering). The previous owner seems to really love the boat and is only selling because he's moving cross country. I like working on things and expect to spend a lot of money+time on any boat I buy, and even after multiplying those expectations by 2 or 3 the prospect still appeals to me. But we'll see
Yeah, I think the 29-32 foot range is ideal for a starter keelboat. It's not too big that you couldn't handle it alone but it's big enough to have fun with friends and family, even just on trips around the Bay - although that could be challenging what with tides and stuff like major shipping lanes

Good luck! Let us know how you get on.
Old 13-09-2022, 17:46   #3953

It is a non disprovable fact that Allied 39's are the best sailboat ever conceived, they are without a doubt the most gorgeous hull ever built with lines that put a Bermuda 40 to shame.

Anyhow, disagree if you like......what would you know!

I was aboard this Allied 39 the other day:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-a-267999.html

Very much worth consideration for someone looking for a gorgeous blue water vessel. Yes needs some loving but she has a lot to offer, Lighthouse windlass, running Westerbeke, loads of spares and tools,pretty much operational, theres even a like new super low hour 2009 15 HP 2 stroke Yamaha outboard that will go with the vessel if the new owner coughs up the measly 20g.

The hull needs a scrub and a bottom job would not go a stray in the nearish future.

The Allied 39 has a good solid hull and they sail like a witch, 39 ft with a 10 ft beam and draws 6ft.

No, she is not a mistress, princess or seawind. There were only 6 built. After Allied realized that they had built the perfect vessel they threw their hands in the air and decided to go back to building less than perfect....at least that can be improved upon.

I am in no way biased.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2022, 18:38   #3954
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allied39 View Post
It is a non disprovable fact that Allied 39's are the best sailboat ever conceived, they are without a doubt the most gorgeous hull ever built with lines that put a Bermuda 40 to shame.

Anyhow, disagree if you like......what would you know!

Sorry but I have to disagree my 1963 Spencer s42 hull 6 was by far better ( in my opinion )
Old 13-09-2022, 19:20   #3955

Oh boy...a war...
Old 14-09-2022, 06:48   #3956
SuW

Quote:
Oh boy...a war...
I'll hold your beer, CS...
Old 17-09-2022, 07:00   #3957

I get the losers boat!
cdreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2022, 06:46   #3958

I want this boat so bad i can taste it.. just dropped to 25k too... unfortunately i cant buy for a few years

https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/...ncess-8424451/

Theres also a guy selling something similar on the forums for 20k that looks Sweet but i can never seem to find it when im in this thread
Old 18-09-2022, 07:10   #3959
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Top banner: Classifieds

There you are… Allied 39, $20k.

hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2022, 07:15   #3960

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Top banner: Classifieds

There you are… Allied 39, $20k.

Yup.. looks like a great boat. Price seems insanely low to me

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price