Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 15-10-2022, 05:10   #4006

Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
It is infact a perkins 4-108 and what looks like a monitor windvane on the stern and a 35 pound CQR on the anchor roller.
The interior looks good if I were on the gulf coast I just might bite that one .

Picture is of a known perkins 4-108
They must have at least had the engine out so they could spray everything with blue paint. Looks clean, must be completely rebuilt by a certified shop. It would make a nice contrast though if they left things like hoses, clutches and belts unpainted. Ha

For the Perkins people, what would a rebuild kit cost me?
Morequestions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2022, 05:35   #4007

https://www.popyachts.com/sloop-sail...rida-r1-304606

OK it's a Hunter, one o the older Cherbini models and ho hum, yada, yada.
What I like about this particular boat and more youtube time would be inorder.
This appears to be if not mistaken the boat by the Youtube couple from 'Wildly Intrepid' I have seen a number of the episodes but there are many, many I haven't Charming young Canadian couple sail to Florida and do the Bahamas. What goes on is also many episodes on maintenance and thats what makes the boat interesting to me. You can see what they have done to the boat and watch them do it. https://www.youtube.com/c/WildlyIntrepid At least after watching them you will know more about this boat then possible your own boat. Looks like they had a baby and looking to get bigger. Wish them luck. $20900
Old 15-10-2022, 06:39   #4008

Boat: Nor'West 33

I have to walk past this boat to get to mine, for sale in Napa. The notable thing about it is it is steel which might have a lot of appeal for the right person. I haven't looked inside but the exterior looks good so my impression is it's well kept. Listing has some nice extras as well.

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/198...sloop-8435700/
Old 15-10-2022, 09:57   #4009

Boat: Westsail 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morequestions View Post
This person go's a long way telling the reader about the boat. I love that! When reading most advertising it always strikes me that they write the text thinking the potential buyer's have a 6th sense and already know what the owner knows. That sellers also should have a copy and paste long long file on the boat that they can just email to those interested. Take the time write it once and send it to anyone with questions. You would still have to do some verification by actually looking, and not everything is addressed, but this seller has a good idea what you want to know.
Also places like Craigslist, Face Book don't charge by the word. Why not take advantage.
Yeah, I really appreciated the extensive description. Clearly the owner knows and cares a lot about the boat. He used a clever (in my opinion) trick where he bought a classified ad in Latitude 38 with a sentence or two about the boat and "more details on Craigslist," using the same photo for the Lat38 and Craigslist headlines
riksf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 07:17   #4010

Boat: 2019 Dudley Dix 45

Hi everyone. This is my first post since the obligatory introduction, but here is a boat that I haven't seen pop up on this topic:

https://www.popyachts.com/sloop-sail...gton-r2-248333

It is a 1966 Buchan 37 for $16,750, in clean, sailable condition. The mainsail needs replacement sooner than later, and the prop is serviceable, with another season or two according to the surveyor. The auxiliary was replaced a few years ago and cold-starts quickly.

I also happen to be the purchaser for the pending sale.
Old 16-10-2022, 07:20   #4011
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC_OR View Post
Hi everyone. This is my first post since the obligatory introduction, but here is a boat that I haven't seen pop up on this topic:

It is a 1966 Buchan 37 for $16,750, in clean, sailable condition. The mainsail needs replacement sooner than later, and the prop is serviceable, with another season or two according to the surveyor. The auxiliary was replaced a few years ago and cold-starts quickly.

Well then congrats . Next step is to join us in the classic plastic group on here .
Looking forward to seeing you there and of the pictures of your baby.
Old 16-10-2022, 09:11   #4012

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankC_OR View Post

Finally...someone finally bought one of these great deals...sail on!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2022, 09:13   #4013

Thanks, newhaul. I look forward to joining the classic plastic group and sharing pictures as I start out on my sailing experience.
Old 16-10-2022, 09:47   #4014

Thank you, Celestialsailor. This was a bit sooner than I had anticipated, since all of the recommendations are to sail on as many boats as one can before purchase. One of the biggest issues that I never considered was how difficult it is to enter sailing/yachting. It is quite difficult in Oregon to secure a slip, but the stars seem to be aligned, and this looks like a great start to finally get regular sailing experience (well, once the season starts again).
Old 16-10-2022, 12:54   #4015

Are the slips all taken in Or.?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 16-10-2022, 13:12   #4016

I'm not sure about the entirety of Oregon, but I have had trouble finding space along the Columbia river specifically. Astoria has a three-year waiting period, although I don't know if they have any transient slips available. Coos Bay might have some, and Brookings does as well (but $1.50 per-foot per-day haul-out storage at Port of Brookings harbour makes any boat work too expensive for me). I am also too inexperienced to be able to sail down the coast this time of year, but now that I have a slip, I can afford to get placed on a waiting list if needed.
Old 17-10-2022, 09:29   #4017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Are the slips all taken in Or.?
we have it good in the SF bay area for sure, at least in that way haha
off-piste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2022, 10:18   #4018

A few years back I seen a number of slips here for sale or rent, looks nice, seemed reasonable but I have never been there. Embarcadero Marina

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/we...gon-coast.html
Old 17-10-2022, 15:43   #4019

Quote:
Originally Posted by off-piste View Post
we have it good in the SF bay area for sure, at least in that way haha

...and up and down the Northern coast. But to me, the best kept secret, if you want to work on a boat in the water for a year or so and not sail during that time in the Delta. This is my 2nd. restore down here. Close to my ranch and close to marine supplies.
Old 17-10-2022, 23:23   #4020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
But to me, the best kept secret, if you want to work on a boat in the water for a year or so and not sail during that time in the Delta. This is my 2nd. restore down here. Close to my ranch and close to marine supplies.
Good to know!
off-piste is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price