Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 11:55   #406

Boat: 2019 TBD
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
That is a deal! With a recent repower & sails their loss is definitely your gain.

It's a beautiful boat. Seems to be well kept.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:03   #407

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisb007 View Post
It's a beautiful boat. Seems to be well kept.
That's only the second boat I have seen in the last few months listed at 30K that I really would check out if I had about 40k ready to spend.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 12:11   #408

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
That's only the second boat I have seen in the last few months listed at 30K that I really would check out if I had about 40k ready to spend.

I think my only concern from a liveaboard standpoint is I don't think there is a shower on this boat. I wonder how difficult it would be to add one on the interior. I suppose anything could be done with enough time, know how, and money.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:24   #409

Quote:
I think my only concern from a liveaboard standpoint is I don't think there is a shower on this boat. I wonder how difficult it would be to add one on the interior. I suppose anything could be done with enough time, know how, and money.
Well I have not been aboard one but from the specs that was one thing that caught my eye in the positive, the head is fairly large, looks like it spans the hull there, and looks like it has room for a decent shower arrangement. I dont see it requiring anything elaborate or expensive. Not sure what kind of headroom is in there though. Certainly worth a look. But as a liveaboard were you planning to shower on board? You won't be in a marina with showers?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 06-01-2017, 12:28   #410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Well I have not been aboard one but from the specs that was one thing that caught my eye in the positive, the head is fairly large, looks like it spans the hull there, and looks like it has room for a decent shower arrangement. I dont see it requiring anything elaborate or expensive. Not sure what kind of headroom is in there though. Certainly worth a look. But as a liveaboard were you planning to shower on board? You won't be in a marina with showers?

Not necessarily at a marina. It would be a nice option to have for longer cruises. I eventually plan on cruising more remote sections of the inside passage. If I had company on a trip of the female persuasion, I think it would be a must have.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:52   #411

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
I live aboard and have a separate shower stall. I've used it maybe 10 times in five years. If it's really important to you, add a shower head, a floor drain, and a sump pump. If you add a cockpit shower I guarantee you you'll use it 99% of the time when it's warm enough.

The lines of that boat are absolutely bewitching. It's gorgeous. But the price of those overhangs is that it's pretty tiny inside for a 35' boat. A Catalina 30 has more interior space than that boat.

You'd also need to add refrigeration, probably enlarge the propane locker, and expand the battery bank.

For the right person, it's a steal. And it's stunningly beautiful.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 13:09   #412

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I live aboard and have a separate shower stall. I've used it maybe 10 times in five years. If it's really important to you, add a shower head, a floor drain, and a sump pump. If you add a cockpit shower I guarantee you you'll use it 99% of the time when it's warm enough.
I agree that a stern shower is much more useful. I often enjoyed a hot shower on the stern while at our marina, even on the cold days, the hot water just made it that much more enjoyable. I suppose the downside is not being fully naked. I had a hunter legend 35.5 with a full shower stall below, and AC too. I don't think I used the shower below even once...it was for the wife and kids. When sailing in season here in canada, a swim is the only washing I need. If necessary, a bucket over the head works too. I dunno if this is true for everyone, but as you get older, you don't need to shower so much. Or maybe I just stink all the time....who knows?

When I crossed the ocean, the skipper broke the news to us that we could only shower every other day. I was horrified when they started pouring the bottled drinking water into the tanks for more showers. I stashed a few bottles in my bunk, just in case. I had only one shower on that trip, but plenty of bucket washes on deck.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 13:30   #413

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Not necessarily at a marina. It would be a nice option to have for longer cruises. I eventually plan on cruising more remote sections of the inside passage. If I had company on a trip of the female persuasion, I think it would be a must have.
A dedicated shower stall is really hard to find in a reasonably sized boat. I must admit we would like one too but have always managed without. We do have a sump in the floor of the head but getting the whole head wet is a no go for us so we use the cockpit or swim platform.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 20:10   #414

Quote:
For that size boat it is not a bad sized head. I think with a little modification a person of the female persuasion could have a satisfying shower in there once in a while. You could get one of those portable propane water heaters and a battery powered shower... or just heat some water on the stove and use a pump garden sprayer. There is a thread about that somewhere... seems to me sailorchic has one. I have one too, but I use mine in the cockpit, but I don't mind a bit of "camping out" and I know not all share that. I don't see a lot of water storage on the boat though, and as mentioned the design was not meant to be roomy on the inside, it was meant to sail. I'd be ok with that but I am one of those who likes to look at a boat that loves to sail and think of ways to make it comfortable rather than look at a boat that is comfortable and look for ways to improve its performance.. but that is just me.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 07-01-2017, 01:40   #415

Boat: no boat any more

...aptly named, the le compte! gorgeous looking (though the guy responsible for those portlights in the hull should be tarred & feathered!) cosy cruiser for a young couple or singlehander
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:34   #416
cruiser

Boat: Current Bristol 32, past Columbia 26, Tahiti Ketch

Thanks to all for a great thread. All I'd add is the great value of Don Casey's ("Good Old Boat") 30 minute survey that you can quickly learn enough to eliminate the dogs and to save the far fewer winners for professional survey.
Capn Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:28   #417

I don't know anything about this model, but it seems like a solid boat for a good price:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...el-178111.html
Old 09-01-2017, 11:44   #418

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiSig1071 View Post
I don't know anything about this model, but it seems like a solid boat for a good price:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...el-178111.html
I think this is the exact same model as in the adventure blog of a young couple who bought a boat sight unseen and cruised the caribbean for a year:

https://www.youtube.com/c/mondaynever

These boats were made in Canada and are popular in my area. The consensus is that it is a premium boat of high quality, extremely desirable. The most desirable model being the rare shoal draft, for obvious reasons. Definitely worth a look!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 13:25   #419

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Different boat. Same manufacturer though. They had a later version known as a Merlin.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 16:29   #420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
A dedicated shower stall is really hard to find in a reasonably sized boat. I must admit we would like one too but have always managed without. We do have a sump in the floor of the head but getting the whole head wet is a no go for us so we use the cockpit or swim platform.
Pearson 365/367.
Pearson 424

Both aft cockpit.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price