Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 02-05-2024, 18:18   #4501
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Well guys this seems like one of those rare times that a free boat is actually a great deal .
https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/b...734830200.html
Good find. That does look like a nice project!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 18:20   #4502

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Well guys this seems like one of those rare times that a free boat is actually a great deal .
https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/b...734830200.html
Agreed. Rare chance at a “project” boat where you don’t have spend any time fixing someone else’s screw ups, and you focus on creating your own screw ups! Great deal!
Old 02-05-2024, 18:30   #4503
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Good find. That does look like a nice project!
Yes but just not for me I have to many projects already
Old 11-05-2024, 04:50   #4504

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Stumbled across this boat yesterday.

This is a relatively new steel Ted Brewer 45’ pilothouse which looks to be in very good condition EXCEPTING she has few areas of sever corrosion/rust. We were just looky-lous in the yard so were not inside.

In my experience these spots are likely to be isolated areas that need attention in an otherwise decent hull. One should he able to determine that within a few hours using a good light, hammer and big screwdriver. And of course the rot may be more systemic, but that would be surprising. The boat shows all the signs of having been built by a very competent yard.

Outward signs are the owner was prepping her for launch (new zincs and paint), found the rust, and ran like hell to a broker.

ASKING price is $15,000. Clearly not for everyone, but for that guy who knows what he is doing this boat bears close examination. I have 2 steel sailboats, I don’t need 3.

There is a very detailed listing on line at Curtis and Stokes.

https://www.curtisstokes.net/ketch-f...l-2800337.html
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2024, 05:22   #4505
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
This is a relatively new steel Ted Brewer 45’ pilothouse which looks to be in very good condition EXCEPTING she has few areas of sever corrosion/rust. We were just looky-lous in the yard so were not inside.
In my experience these spots are likely to be isolated areas that need attention in an otherwise decent hull. One should he able to determine that within a few hours using a good light, hammer and big screwdriver. And of course the rot may be more systemic, but that would be surprising. The boat shows all the signs of having been built by a very competent yard.
Outward signs are the owner was prepping her for launch (new zincs and paint), found the rust, and ran like hell to a broker.
ASKING price is $15,000. Clearly not for everyone, but for that guy who knows what he is doing this boat bears close examination. I have 2 steel sailboats, I don’t need 3.
There is a very detailed listing on line at Curtis and Stokes.
https://www.curtisstokes.net/ketch-f...l-2800337.html
Yikes. That looks like there were wet voids in the ballasted area, that have been rusting away for a long time. Perhaps the interior of the bare hull wasn't prepared properly?
Old 11-05-2024, 10:36   #4506

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yikes. That looks like there were wet voids in the ballasted area, that have been rusting away for a long time. Perhaps the interior of the bare hull wasn't prepared properly?
I could see inside a bit at this in NOT in a ballasted area. There is some painted steel here. The ballast starts just aft of here.

It does need a hard look to assess the damage, no doubt.

While it may be far worse than what is visible the possibility exists this is not a big deal.

Admittedly it will send the FG boat guys screaming.

$15k asking solves a lot of issues.

Speaking with a fair bit of acknowledged bravado here, if what I saw was the extent of the damage or close you could have a temp patch on and have her in the water in a week. 2 weeks may get you permanent repairs if the yard will work with you.
Old 11-05-2024, 13:15   #4507

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:

...and rightly so. I have built from plans, two of my own steel's...a Vandestat 29 and a Roberts 34, from plans. I helped construct a Roberts 434 and a Roberts 43. There is a reason I went to fiberglass. I cruised Mexico for 3 1/2 years on my "inferior" Hasllberg Rassy 35 and in every port and boat yard there were many abandoned and whole families working on the cancer problems with steel. Some as simple as chipping decks and cabin tops (and that was usually yearly), to full on plate replacement which is really fun for those who decided to spray-foam their interior of the hull.
In anchorages I would hear the wows of Colvin Gazelle owners with the so called impervious "Cortin" plating that their hulls were rusting. Most of these vessels, who's owners I talked to, the boats were under 25 years old. It was ruining their cruising experience. I met a family of 5 hold up in Guaymas in a crappy, dusty yard for months, trying to get back in the water.
I have a friend in his 70's now who took off from the San Fran area, in his new Roberts 43 that a bridge Engineer had built, that took over 12 years. It was beautiful and over-built...so much so, she sat 4"s down on her lines that caused all sorts of havoc. This was in 2000 and got as far as Puerto Vallerta. The boat never mover the next 10 years that it was in a hot (electrically) harbor. One day while drinking water out of his integral water tank, it tasted salty. That's right, a pin hole had developed through the 3/16" plate. She is now a boatyard queen in the Sea of Cortez where they use her as a place to visit for a month a year. Now the steel cabin is leaking. It's doubtful she will ever sail again.

Steel boats are not Fiberglass shattering vessels when they are stuck in a boat yard ruining your marriage. Nor are they any different from a fiberglass boat in a marina, year after year. They are both dock-queens. And the fact is, if there are stray currents in a marina, the steel owner usually finds out too late that their boat is being eaten alive. Aluminum is even worst.

That said...for $15K its ok if you are a young person have a good cash flow.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2024, 10:33   #4508
SuW

Quote:
I could see inside a bit at this in NOT in a ballasted area. There is some painted steel here. The ballast starts just aft of here.
It does need a hard look to assess the damage, no doubt.
While it may be far worse than what is visible the possibility exists this is not a big deal.
Speaking with a fair bit of acknowledged bravado here, if what I saw was the extent of the damage or close you could have a temp patch on and have her in the water in a week. 2 weeks may get you permanent repairs if the yard will work with you.
Yeah. Years ago we bought a neglected amateur-built steel boat and it had voids in the keel that had been filled with foam (!). They were accessible with a few acrobatics. The foam was saturated with salty water, but we got it out and there had been practically no damage to the steel (coated with coal tar epoxy). A little rust, not much. Nothing like that shown.

So something was going on in the boat you posted. As Celestial says stray current corrosion is the likely candidate. In my basement I still have a silver half cell to test that kind of thing!

We did see an aluminum boat being restored in Annapolis, years ago. it had sunk at a dock within about 3 months of being left there.
Old 13-05-2024, 17:51   #4509

Boat: Sabre 28

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-a-286147.html
Old 14-05-2024, 07:06   #4510

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yeah. Years ago we bought a neglected amateur-built steel boat and it had voids in the keel that had been filled with foam (!). They were accessible with a few acrobatics. The foam was saturated with salty water, but we got it out and there had been practically no damage to the steel (coated with coal tar epoxy). A little rust, not much. Nothing like that shown.

So something was going on in the boat you posted. As Celestial says stray current corrosion is the likely candidate. In my basement I still have a silver half cell to test that kind of thing!

We did see an aluminum boat being restored in Annapolis, years ago. it had sunk at a dock within about 3 months of being left there.
Without further investigation all is just guessing.

I can see and tell from tapping this is NOT a ballasted section. My GUESS is this is a forward bilge just in front of the mast step. The sole does appear to lift in one huge PITA section. It is easy to imagine this bilge laying wet and unattended. There is also a smaller spot near the anchor locker. Another usual suspect for obvious reasons.

Repair assessment is beyond my knowledge. As evidenced here folks fear steel and run away, leaving an opportunity for the knowledgeable buyer.
Old 14-05-2024, 07:46   #4511
SuW

Quote:
Without further investigation all is just guessing.
I can see and tell from tapping this is NOT a ballasted section. My GUESS is this is a forward bilge just in front of the mast step. The sole does appear to lift in one huge PITA section. It is easy to imagine this bilge laying wet and unattended. There is also a smaller spot near the anchor locker. Another usual suspect for obvious reasons.
Repair assessment is beyond my knowledge. As evidenced here folks fear steel and run away, leaving an opportunity for the knowledgeable buyer.
Another suspect is perhaps something to do with the electric windlass.

We had friends who had bought an older steel boat, blasted and painted the bottom with many coats, including bottom paint, and within a few months the paint started to blister off in 2 inch patches, all over the hull.
They think the cause was the electric windlass which had no negative wire fitted - the hull was the return path for current! The footswitch was wired directly to the battery or something.

I have no real knowledge, but it was an expensive and time consuming problem for them.
Old 17-05-2024, 19:12   #4512

Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho
1981 Hans Christian Full keel Ketch

1981 Hans Christian Full keel Ketch, $11,500
It would be interesting to hear the story behind this one.

https://moreboats.com/boats-for-sale...ll-keel/462120
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2024, 19:25   #4513

Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho

Quote:

This is a relatively new steel Ted Brewer 45’ pilothouse...
I've been kind of keeping an eye on this one and really debating going to take a look at it. My problem is that I've spent a ton of money going on expeditions to view boats and I'm leery of going on another one.
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2024, 03:50   #4514

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post
I've been kind of keeping an eye on this one and really debating going to take a look at it. My problem is that I've spent a ton of money going on expeditions to view boats and I'm leery of going on another one.

Careful, if you don't look at it, it may end up being the Jewel that got away!
I know, I'm not helping, am I?
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2024, 06:51   #4515
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptWho View Post
We did this before buying our "perfect" boat. We visited Lake Ontario, British Columbia, California, Florida, Annapolis MD. The Chesapeake was by far the best place to look at world-cruising-type boats. Something to do with the proximity of money?

We kicked dozens of hulls, took thousands of pictures, bothered quite a few brokers, but I'll say it was worth all the time and money. We learned a lot about boats. And every boat, especially when older, is different.

The perfect boat is long gone, but we value the experience.

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price