Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 14-03-2018, 08:36   #1036

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

Thanks to Steady and everybody for keeping this thread going. I really enjoy the reads and the boats.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 08:43   #1037
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bristol 32

Steady's Notes

The photos of the boat show a nice looking boat, in what appears to be good condition. As with any boat, a survey is a good idea. Caveat Emptor.

I like what I see in the photos. There are more photos showing the interior and cockpit and details on the linked page.

This boat appears to be an outstanding example of a well maintained boat at a very low price.

The photos show a boat in very nice condition (especially considering the age). Someone has done a very good job of maintaining or updating this boat. It looks very nice and clean.

The Bristol brand is well respected among sailors in the USA, as they produced many nice cruising boats, with 322 units of the Bristol 32 built.

I am favorably impressed by the number of updates and relatively recent Yanmar Diesel engine (2003) that replaced an original Atomic 4 Gasoline engine, and the long list of things already done (recently) that I would want done if buying an old boat. I have bolded some of the especially noteworthy items below.

Steady's POV on Value in Low Priced Used Boats

What strikes me when I see a boat like this is that so many of CF's new members are saying they have the dream to own a cruising boat, may have very little to zero cruising experience, and they want a "great deal" or "have very little money." I understand that desire, and the financial constraints that may make them look for something that is cheap or priced very low, so they can "fix it up."

Unfortunately, I think some are looking at boats that are essentially hulks, bare hulls, salvaged boats, sunken boats, damaged boats, or long neglected derelicts, simply because they are priced so low (e.g. Some $10k or possibly less, sometimes "free."). In my view, those can become extremely expensive boats when one considers the amount of time, labor, and materials (or gear) that will have to be spent to get them in good, seaworthy condition ready for cruising. In my view, most of those boats are what is known as "false economy."

In comparison, when one looks at the long list of equipment and recent updates (engine, sail, etc.) shown on this boat, it is a example of how much value can be found in an "well maintained, excellent condition" boat, compared to a derelict boat that may need a new Diesel engine, new exhaust, new sails, new rigging, new mast, extensive interior work, new cushions, new canvas, new electronics, new bottom paint, etc.

Consider how much all of those things (I bolded below) would cost to SOURCE, PURCHASE and then INSTALL on a hulk/derelict boat that may be lower priced but does not have these items. Add them up, then compare that to the asking price of the boat below. I think the economic decision is easy.

As I have said before, I share boats like these here because I want to see more people enjoying sailing. Finding a good, seaworthy boat is the first big risky step for many, and one that can seem overwhelming to newbies who are not sure what to look for or what is a "good deal."

I hope this thread continues to help others, long after this or any particular boat shown here is sold.

Year = 1975

Asking Price = $19,500 OBO

Location = Palm Beach, Florida, USA

Model Specifications from Internet : Sailboatdata
Hull Type: Fin Keel Rig Type: Masthead Sloop
LOA: 32.00' / 9.75m LWL: 22.00' / 6.71m
Beam: 9.50' / 2.90m Listed SA: 466 ft2 / 43.29 m2
Draft (max.) 4.67' / 1.42m Draft (min.)
Displacement: 10800 lbs./ 4899 kgs. Ballast: 3900 lbs. / 1769 kgs.
Sail Area/Disp.1: 15.31 Bal./Disp.: 36.11% Disp./Len.: 452.80
Designer: Ted Hood / Dieter Empacher
Builder: Bristol Yachts Inc. (USA)
Construction: FG solid laminate Bal. type:
First Built: 1966 Last Built: 1983 # Built: 322
AUXILIARY POWER (orig. equip.)
Make: Universal Model: Atomic 4
Type: Gas HP:
TANKS
Water: 100 gals. / 378 ltrs. Fuel:

NOTE: The boat was built in sloop, ketch, and yawl variations.

Link to Ad with contact info for owner. FSBO
https://miami.craigslist.org/pbc/boa...511644445.html

All photos in this post are from THIS ad for THIS boat.

Here is an excerpt of the ad's description:
"• 1975 Bristol Centerboard Sloop, designed by Ted Hood, and built in Bristol, Rhode Island. She turns heads at the dock, and sails beautifully. Her shoal-draft keel draws 3'7" with the centerboard up - great for Florida waters. And the ST4000+ autopilot makes her easy to single-hand.
Motor is a 2003, 3-cylinder, 30 hp Yanmar 3GM30F Diesel (I believe the original was an 18 hp Universal. So the 30 hp motor really gets her through strong currents and wind.) I've kept a maintenance log since I bought the boat in 2014, and have performed regular engine maintenance. Starts right up, no smoke, runs strong!
2014: new Garhauer mainsheet traveler; new bimini over cockpit.
2015: new exhaust elbow; new head pump & check valves; new mainsail cover (Mack Pack) and Lazy Jacks; new VHF radio.
• 2016: completely stripped, caulked, and varnished toe rail, coaming boards, hand rails.
2017: boat hauled: bottom job with 2 coats of Trinidad; new scupper through-hulls; stanchions, chain plates, and block tracks rebedded; new LED bow nav-lights; seacocks lubricated; hull waxed; new cutlass bearing and prop zinc; jib reconditioned & new luff tape; new furling line.
Also 2017: new mainsail; new LED spreader lights, new batteries; new battery charger, new water pump">raw water pump, new auto pilot drive unit.
2 GPS chartplotters, new VHF radio, Dual AM/FM/CD player with salon and cockpit speakers, (SAT ready Pioneer DEH-P5900IB CD receiver - not installed), alcohol marine stove, ST40 depth sounder, ST4000+ auto pilot, 2 Barient 22-39 self-tailing 2-speed primary winches, electric windlass, roller furling genny, jiffy reefing mainsail from cockpit, lazy jacks, Mack Pack quick-zip sail cover, Racor primary fuel filter.

Asking $19,500 or best offer"

My Disclaimers and Requests

I have no financial or other connection to this boat or the seller.
I have not seen this boat in person, nor have I sailed on it.
As with any boat, it is a good idea to research the design to learn about how they sail, common problems and owner opinions.
As with any boat, it is smart to have a qualified yacht surveyor perform a survey of the boat to assess its condition.
I am posting this to help others find boats. This one caught my eye, and I hope this thread helps others find a good fit for them.
I hope this thread proves helpful to CF Members. If so, let me know, as it is nice to know the time spent on it has helped others.
IF you purchase this boat, let me know (a PM would be OK).
IF you purchase this boat, I would enjoy seeing it, or going for a sail on it, if I am ever in your area. Or, if you own a similar or sister boat send me a PM. I enjoy sailing on a wide variety of boats and would like to get some time on many designs, including this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9439.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	166227   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9429.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	166228  

Name:	IMG_9431.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	166229   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9432.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	166230  

Name:	IMG_9433.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	166231   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9434.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	166232  

Name:	IMG_9435.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	166233   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9436.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	166234  

Name:	IMG_9437.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	166235   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9441.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	166236  

Name:	IMG_9438.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	166237   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9430.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	166238  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 08:53   #1038

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Is that how much fuel and water a Bristol 32 carries? excellent for long trips if correct. Have to say that is a very nicely prepared yacht for a 1975 model.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 08:57   #1039
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Is that how much fuel and water a Bristol 32 carries? excellent for long trips if correct. Have to say that is a very nicely prepared yacht for a 1975 model.

Pete
Good question about the tankage.
The fuel amount seems high to me.
Perhaps someone who owns a Bristol 32 can verify or knows.
The stats I added here came from Sailboatdata, and perhaps their data is incorrect on that field or boat. ???
Old 14-03-2018, 09:09   #1040

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
That is a beautiful boat, setup extremely well, in what appears to be excellent condition. The only change I would make would be to swap the older pressure stove for an origo (designed to fit the hole perfectly, BTW). Beautiful woodwork below, shallow draft, yanmar, and setup for true single handed sailing. It is great to see these boats. A good buy at any price!
That's exactly what I was thinking. The stove is an easy swap & a great upgrade. I remember an article in the Boat US magazine that said that, although alcohol is supposed to be a safe fuel, these pressurized alcohol stoves are a leading cause of fires. Plus, they're a pain in the but to use. I'd also be tempted to do something about the fake wood formica counters, just because I hate the look & the rest of the boat is so pretty, but that would not be a priority.

This Bristol is a good example of why "free" boats don't make sense. Getting a fixer upper into this kind of condition would put you well over the purchase price of this boat in the vast majority of cases.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 09:11   #1041

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steadman Uhlich View Post
The stats I added here came from Sailboatdata, and perhaps their data is incorrect on that field or boat. ???
That Bristol 32 is the opposite of a "dock queen". Its narrow beam and long overhangs make it a terrible value for sitting at a marina, paying by the foot. But its a WONDERFUL boat to actually sail and go cruising. Its truly a sailor's boat!!!

The forward sheeting makes for a nice, clear cockpit.

Tons of battery power and clean looking wiring, but it could use a couple solar panels. Sorry to nitpick...it really appears to be an excellent boat.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 09:18   #1042

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
That's exactly what I was thinking. The stove is an easy swap & a great upgrade. I remember an article in the Boat US magazine that said that, although alcohol is supposed to be a safe fuel, these pressurized alcohol stoves are a leading cause of fires. Plus, they're a pain in the but to use. I'd also be tempted to do something about the fake wood formica counters, just because I hate the look & the rest of the boat is so pretty, but that would not be a priority.

This Bristol is a good example of why "free" boats don't make sense. Getting a fixer upper into this kind of condition would put you well over the purchase price of this boat in the vast majority of cases.
Its not just about the cost...The lovely couple on "Sailing Uma" spent 2 years fixing up their Pearson 36 before they could head out cruising. 2 Years of nasty, difficult, expensive work. Personally, I'd rather be sailing!

Funny, I thought the same thing when I saw the faux-wood counters...but if the worst thing we can spot in the ad is the colour of the counter top...LOL!

I just hope the seller doesn't see these comments...the price could go way UP!!!
Old 14-03-2018, 10:50   #1043

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31

Quote:

I checked sailboat data and it said 25 gallons.
<http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1226>

I really like this boat and it does appear to be exactly what I have been looking for. I sent the owner an email. If it is as good as it appears to be I may have to fly down to Florida.

Thanks for this thread. I have been following it for sometime.
I'll let you know what I find.
markcleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 11:44   #1044

Quote:
Its not just about the cost...The lovely couple on "Sailing Uma" spent 2 years fixing up their Pearson 36 before they could head out cruising. 2 Years of nasty, difficult, expensive work. Personally, I'd rather be sailing!

Funny, I thought the same thing when I saw the faux-wood counters...but if the worst thing we can spot in the ad is the colour of the counter top...LOL!

I just hope the seller doesn't see these comments...the price could go way UP!!!
I hear you. I've spent the last few years on a refit of our Scout 30. When you work full time it takes a lot of weekends.
Old 14-03-2018, 11:59   #1045
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

I enjoyed reading the comments from you (HAMBURKING) and SCOUT30. You guys and I often think alike.

I noticed the faux-wood counters too, and would change those too (probably to Corian or Stainless, or possibly some nice cedar or colorful wood). But, those were just a small part of the entire boat (or interior). A nice "customization" project for me.

Your point about the time some sailors take to refit a boat is important. I think that is something that most people underestimate. And the example you used was a good one. That could have been 2 years of more cruising.

Thanks (to everyone who participates) for adding your comments to the discussion. I enjoyed them.
Old 14-03-2018, 12:27   #1046

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:

FunJohnson, the trisalu? We looked at that boat a few years befor he bought it. My Wife fell in love with it, ticked all the buttons for her. We went over it for a few hours and sat in the cockpit talking.

She “What do you think?”
Me. “In 2 years we will sitting exactly here crying.”

We passed.

She is now a lovely boat, It was not in us to do what that couple did, a wonderful restoration.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 14:26   #1047

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:

Well looks like it could be correct, there are a couple of other Bristol 32s on Yachtworld with 20 gallon fuel and 80 gallon water tanks.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 15:30   #1048

Quote:

I enjoyed reading the comments from you (HAMBURKING) and SCOUT30. You guys and I often think alike.

I noticed the faux-wood counters too, and would change those too (probably to Corian or Stainless, or possibly some nice cedar or colorful wood). But, those were just a small part of the entire boat (or interior). A nice "customization" project for me.

Your point about the time some sailors take to refit a boat is important. I think that is something that most people underestimate. And the example you used was a good one. That could have been 2 years of more cruising.

Thanks (to everyone who participates) for adding your comments to the discussion. I enjoyed them.
OK, here's a comment for you: I hate these threads you've created. They're like someone at AA creating a thread about great deals on Whiskey. I don't need another boat! I don't need another boat! I don't need another boat! I don't need another boat! I don't need another boat! I don't need another boat! I don't need another boat! I don't need another boat! I don't need another boat! I don't need another boat! I don't need another boat! I don't need another boat!
Old 14-03-2018, 15:42   #1049

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
OK, here's a comment for you: I hate these threads you've created. They're like someone at AA creating a thread about great deals on Whiskey. I don't need another boat! I don't need another boat! I don't need another boat! I don't need another boat! I don't need another boat! I don't need another boat! I don't need another boat! I don't need another boat! I don't need another boat! I don't need another boat! I don't need another boat! I don't need another boat!
...ok, you don't need a boat. But you do need a lesson in manners.

Is it possible there are other people in the world who are not you? No one is forcing you to read this thread.
Old 14-03-2018, 15:49   #1050
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
...ok, you don't need a boat. But you do need a lesson in manners.

Is it possible there are other people in the world who are not you? No one is forcing you to read this thread.
SCOUT30 is just kidding.

I know he really wants another one.

Heck, if I could, I would have several, with one in different parts of the world I would like to sail..

One in Caribbean, one in Mediterranean, one in Alaska, Australia, etc... then fly to them to enjoy during the best season.

I wish...

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price