Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.78 average. Display Modes
Old 20-01-2019, 04:21   #1441

Boat: O'day 34, O'day 39
Re: Boats Less Than $30K Recent Noteworthy Finds

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...dard%20listing
Scott Fuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 07:20   #1442

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

Hello all:
My wife and I recently had a couple looks at a beautifully kept Ted Hood designed, Tartan 37. It is in Marion, MA and can be found on yachtworld.

The noteworthy aspects are that the same family has owned the yacht since new. They took very good care of the sloop but did not make a lot of upgrades so things are pretty basic. I like that because one need not unwind someone else's work before starting on one's own modifications.

We were looking at boats under 20K because we planned to completely rerig and buy new sails. The interior is in excellent condition. The cushions are nearly new. The galley needs a new stove and maybe pressure water, hot water. I posted some pics on our blog, averisera dot com.

Why aren't we buying? My wife indicated a strong preference to remain in our house on Cape Cod. Oh well... We have a lovely boat for racing and cruising so that's that.

I have no financial interest in the boat. My report is about an unusually fit cruiser at a very reasonable price.

Norm
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 07:33   #1443

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanMartin View Post
Hello all:
My wife and I recently had a couple looks at a beautifully kept Ted Hood designed, Tartan 37. It is in Marion, MA and can be found on yachtworld.
I can't find it....could you please post a link? Thanks.
FWIW, I'm looking for an unusually fit cruiser at a very reasonable price...:-)
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 08:11   #1444

Boat: Pearson 30

Here’s the link:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1969/tartan-blackwatch-37-3468061/?refSource=standard%20listing
Gravy26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 08:57   #1445

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy26 View Post
Thanks for the link. That boat has some great features I love...like pilot berths port and starboard and tiller steering. That is a whole lotta boat for very little money.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 08:57   #1446

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy26 View Post
Very nice boat.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 09:01   #1447

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:

Why aren't we buying? My wife indicated a strong preference to remain in our house on Cape Cod. Oh well... We have a lovely boat for racing and cruising so that's that.

Norm
If I had a house in Cape Cod and that boat (which appears to be in very good condition and well-loved) I'd be pretty happy! I say go for it!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 09:16   #1448

Don C L:
I have little about which to complain. I would like to make one long voyage before it is too late. I sail a lot on behalf of others and think maybe it would be fun to sail on behalf of myself.

I am happy with Averisera and will probably just voyage her.

Norm
Old 21-01-2019, 09:40   #1449
cruiser

I heard tale of a smorgasbord of vessels which are free for the taking in the Bahamas, due to dashed dreams of foolish would-be liveaboards. Apparently there are bureaucratic nightmares involved in the actual taking, but these are acceptable conditions to a penniless person who is extraordinarily passionate about adventuring on the high seas.

Is there truth to these tales?

I am aware that most boatyards have an abandoned vessel or two wasting away. However, as I understand it, the boatyard owners generally seek recompense for their piled-up storage fees in exchange for these poor souls.

I would gladly exchange my left pinky toe and my first-born golden retriever for a seaworthy sloop. Unfortunately, that’s about all I have for such a trade at the moment.
human000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 10:31   #1450
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanerrer View Post
I heard tale of a smorgasbord of vessels which are free for the taking in the Bahamas, due to dashed dreams of foolish would-be liveaboards. Apparently there are bureaucratic nightmares involved in the actual taking, but these are acceptable conditions to a penniless person who is extraordinarily passionate about adventuring on the high seas.

Is there truth to these tales?

I am aware that most boatyards have an abandoned vessel or two wasting away. However, as I understand it, the boatyard owners generally seek recompense for their piled-up storage fees in exchange for these poor souls.

I would gladly exchange my left pinky toe and my first-born golden retriever for a seaworthy sloop. Unfortunately, that’s about all I have for such a trade at the moment.
The boatyard where I keep my boat has a number of abandoned boats. The owner of the yard has been happy to give away a boat in the past if the new owner will just take care of it. This has had variable results.

Of course, it is just a cunning plan to get you hooked into paying yard bills from now on. Most of these boats are left by the owners until they are really not worth saving. Offers from potential buyers are not even considered. Seaworthy they are not.

There were two fibreglass boats cut up for the lead in the keels last year. The demolition company was doing it for free, but after the second one, they didn't come back...quite a spectacle, quite a mess...funny thing, that. But the yard owner is happy to have the space back.

I would urge anyone who has a placeholder for a dream rotting away in a boat yard that they haven't visited for years to give them away asap! Some young person might be able to give her new life!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 10:39   #1451
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

We came through the Bahamasa and nothing I saw fit that description. But I wasn’t wandering around boat yards. Nor in the Carribean. Lots and lots of wrecked boats. But non worth any money.

I think that’s he problem, all of a sudden a guy looks at his boat and...it’s not reasonably salvageable. Like old age, it just kinda slips up on us.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 10:46   #1452

A boat yard near us has an original version Cal 30 that I have been aboard and believe to be worth recovering. My wife and I did a similar project two years ago.

Let me know if anyone has interest in the Cal. I have pictures and can report from recent visit under the shrink wrap.

Norm
Old 21-01-2019, 10:51   #1453
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
The boatyard where I keep my boat has a number of abandoned boats. The owner of the yard has been happy to give away a boat in the past if the new owner will just take care of it.

I’m aware of the condition most of these vessels will be found in, unfortunately. When I lived in Maine many years ago, I found a few abandoned boats in the boatyard behind my grandparents’ house. I asked the owner of the boatyard if he would sell me one of them and let me fix it up in the yard. He agreed, and even offered to drop it in the drink for me when it was seaworthy, as long as I paid the storage fee on time every month.

Unfortunately, the boat was not salvageable. It had been through a few hard winters, and a few summers, without any protection from the elements. It was heartbreaking to walk around her decks and see what a few years of extreme neglect will do to a sailboat.

One day, I will accomplish my goal, and maybe restore a vessel to her former glory. It will be a beautiful day when I drop her in the water and unfurl her sails to a bright, smiling sun.
Old 21-01-2019, 10:52   #1454
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
We came through the Bahamasa and nothing I saw fit that description. But I wasn’t wandering around boat yards. Nor in the Carribean. Lots and lots of wrecked boats. But non worth any money.

I think that’s he problem, all of a sudden a guy looks at his boat and...it’s not reasonably salvageable. Like old age, it just kinda slips up on us.
‘Tis a painful truth.
Old 21-01-2019, 10:55   #1455
cruiser

Quote:
A boat yard near us has an original version Cal 30 that I have been aboard and believe to be worth recovering. My wife and I did a similar project two years ago.

Let me know if anyone has interest in the Cal. I have pictures and can report from recent visit under the shrink wrap.

Norm
Cal 30’s are my dream boats... Perfect for single-handed bluewater adventuring, IMHO. I would make the trek back to New England if I had a chance to get my hands on one for free...

Tags
bargain, Best buy, best deal, Blue Water boats, budget, cheap, classic, cruising, inexpensive, low cost, low price