Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2013, 18:23   #1

Boat: Hunter 31
BoatUS wants 3 people on board while cruising in Mexico?

So I'm planning a trip from Seattle to Mexico next year and while renewing my BoatUS insurance today asked about coverage while cruising. They said that I'd need 3 people to be covered? We planned on having 2 people at all times and friends and family on different legs but not 3 at all times.

This a regular requirment?

Thanks!
-Jared
jared1048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 04:50   #2

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason
Re: BoatUS wants 3 people on board while cruising in Mexico?

Jared

Different insurance companies require different things.... Depending on your sailing experience/training, location you plan to sail and the boat itself.

In my opinion, BoatUS is a great insurance company for the US, but other companies are better at and are more familiar with insuring vessels outside the US.

You might want to explore your options with a Marine Insurance Broker.

Also it might be wise to create a C.V. with your seatime experience, schooling and any licenses or certificates you hold and submit it to the insurance companies when you get quotes.

Unless you are very inexperienced, you should be able to find doublehand insurance for Mexico.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 05:20   #3

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared1048 View Post
So I'm planning a trip from Seattle to Mexico next year and while renewing my BoatUS insurance today asked about coverage while cruising. They said that I'd need 3 people to be covered? We planned on having 2 people at all times and friends and family on different legs but not 3 at all times.

This a regular requirment?

Thanks!
-Jared
It may have to do with splitting watch keeping duties on passage.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 05:47   #4

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Perhaps Boat US should also require:

1. a complete physical for all crew before leaving port
2. a specified cruising diet requiring 5 servings of fruits and vegetables each day
3. a maximum BMI for all on-board with a certified weigh-in per month
4. a maximum 2 drinks per day for males and 1 per day for females
5. a baby aspirin per day for each crew member
6. a minimum level of safety gear (beyond CC requirements)
7. consumption of 20 - 35 grams of dietary roughage per day
8. a refresher sailing course with written and on water test before leaving on cruise

Get my point here? You are not really the captain. Boat US will be the captain and assume responsibility. You are just along for the ride. You don't really have anything to do with your cruise. You are along on your boat paid for by after tax money by the good will of Boat US.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 05:51   #5

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Perhaps Boat US should also require:

1. a complete physical for all crew before leaving port
2. a specified cruising diet requiring 5 servings of fruits and vegetables each day
3. a maximum BMI for all on-board with a certified weigh-in per month
4. a maximum 2 drinks per day for males and 1 per day for females
5. a baby aspirin per day for each crew member
6. a minimum level of safety gear (beyond CC requirements)
7. consumption of 20 - 35 grams of dietary roughage per day
8. a refresher sailing course with written and on water test before leaving on cruise

Get my point here? You are not really the captain. Boat US will be the captain and assume responsibility. You are just along for the ride. You don't really have anything to do with your cruise. You are along on your boat paid for by after tax money by the good will of Boat US.
What is your point?

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 06:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
What is your point?
Tom, my point is partially your point. I would look for another insurance company rather than hiring a professional captain, e.g. Boat US.
Old 20-03-2013, 06:42   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Tom, my point is partially your point. I would look for another insurance company rather than hiring a professional captain, e.g. Boat US.
First, Jared, welcome to the forum. Please note that these comments are not addressed at you specifically, just the general question of insurance company requirements.

So, let's look at the other side of this story. I have seen a number of posts addressing insurance payouts to boat owners who were clearly incompetent and wrecked their boats due to lack of skill, lack experience or just downright stupidity. The point being the insurance rates for the rest of us have to pay for the incompetence of others. Does it not follow that insurance companies have not just the right but the obligation to assess the abilities of the insured and require appropriate measures or restrictions to mitigate the risk?

Example, a relative purchased a 40' sailboat. This was the first boat he had ever owned and he his total sailing experience was exactly one trip on a charter with a professional captain in charge. When he applied for insurance on his new boat the company would only cover him if there was a USCQ licensed captain on board for the first 12 months of coverage or until that captain signed off on the owner's skills. Personally I think that was appropriate.

So maybe Jared has done three trips around the world, one solo and his crew on board for Mexico has similar experience? In that case requiring three crew to Mexico does not seem reasonable. However if Jared's background is similar to my family member then requiring a larger crew makes sense to me.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 06:42   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Yeah, I kinda agree with Lake Superior... If you are too scared to sail your boat without insurance then you shouldn't be at sea anyway.

If its not fear and just risk spreading then find a company that suits you, or assume the risk yourself, I.e. go uninsured.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 06:44   #9

Boat: 1990 Ericson 32-200
Send a message via Skype™ to DennisM

BoatUS is the company I love to hate. Though I gladly renew my towing insurance with them every year and have been pleased with their service the two times I have needed it, I find the restrictions, requirements and pricing of their insurance to be completely ridiculous. And the fact that they keep soliciting me to buy their insurance - after I tried to make it clear to them that I think they're nuts - is a bit irritating.
Old 20-03-2013, 06:51   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
First, Jared, welcome to the forum. Please note that these comments are not addressed at you specifically, just the general question of insurance company requirements.

So, let's look at the other side of this story. I have seen a number of posts addressing insurance payouts to boat owners who were clearly incompetent and wrecked their boats due to lack of skill, lack experience or just downright stupidity. The point being the insurance rates for the rest of us have to pay for the incompetence of others. Does it not follow that insurance companies have not just the right but the obligation to assess the abilities of the insured and require appropriate measures or restrictions to mitigate the risk?

Example, a relative purchased a 40' sailboat. This was the first boat he had ever owned and he his total sailing experience was exactly one trip on a charter with a professional captain in charge. When he applied for insurance on his new boat the company would only cover him if there was a USCQ licensed captain on board for the first 12 months of coverage or until that captain signed off on the owner's skills. Personally I think that was appropriate.

So maybe Jared has done three trips around the world, one solo and his crew on board for Mexico has similar experience? In that case requiring three crew to Mexico does not seem reasonable. However if Jared's background is similar to my family member then requiring a larger crew makes sense to me.
Your point does not compute very well. Requiring three warm bodies onboard? What if all three have as much experience as your relative in your example? Three times zero is still zero.
Old 20-03-2013, 06:58   #11

I used to have insurance thru Boat US for many years. No Claims. I went to renew as usual and was told I would have to get a survey at my expense. I switched carriers. This year I asked Boat US for a quote, just for curiosity, and was told that now I could survey the boat myself and attach some photos. They would take my word. Enquiring further about their coverage I was told that while the boat is out of the water there is no liability cover. If it falls over and causes damage to other property or people, tough luck. I actually have doubts about the legality of this part but that's what the sales rep told me. I'd love to hear from someone with actual experience with this. Now maybe Boat US is a great company if you have a claim. At least I've never heard anything bad about them and maybe they want 3 people on board because in the event of a loss they really expect to pay up. Unlike some outfits who will gladly take your money with few caveats because they have no intention of ever paying one red cent. Ask me how I know.
nial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 06:58   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

For me Boat US is also expensive. I've gotten quotes from their twice and both times they were twice as much as my current insurance with Markel though IMS.

They did require me to get 30 hours more instruction back when I got my first boat. But they also gave be a discount afterwards.
Old 20-03-2013, 07:14   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Your point does not compute very well. Requiring three warm bodies onboard? What if all three have as much experience as your relative in your example? Three times zero is still zero.
Sure, three fools are still three fools but then you could also say that two heads are better than one, or a one eyed man is king in the land of the blind or sure three times zero is zero or even ten times zero is zero.

Generalities are generalities and will never apply to all specific situations. One could make up what if this and what if that all day long but insurance companies can only work on percentages and large data sets and can't try to vet every person that boards every boat they cover.

Requiring a three person crew is one way to attempt to mitigate the risk of a long passage. No does not guarantee that all three are not incompetent just a general policy that historical data indicates to the insurance might reduce the risks of a claim in this situation.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 07:16   #14

Boat: Hunter, 31-foot
Send a message via Skype™ to Syserenity

I am also looking for a company to insure my boat while underway and have heard good comments on Come what may!
Syserenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 07:29   #15

Just to keep things in perspective I had boat US insurance on my boat 30 years ago when I left on my first offshore trip, like yours it was from Vancouver to Mexico which BoatUS covered as part of my standard policy with no upcharges but they did insist on a 3rd person onboard. Thats how my Son got a ride on that trip. They did not do any offshore coverage so the trip to Hawaii and back to Vancouver was with no insurance but as soon as I was within a couple of hundred miles of Vancouver it kicked in again. I found them very easy to deal with but the 3rd person policy is a very old one.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, Mexico