Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 11:10   #1

Boat: None at the moment
Boom Height

I am trying to figure out proper measurements to install a bimini and have noticed that I will need said bimini to be 7-8" higher at the aft end. So the bimini would slope those 7-8" as it went forward to allow boom clearance. I do believe, however, that the boom is on a track on the mast, and noticed a few weeks ago that when the main is raised it doesn't reach all the way to the masthead. I am not on the boat right now and can't recall where the boom actually sits on the mast track, but if it is low, is there any harm in raising it to gain some clearance?
DaBod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:15   #2

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Re: Boom Height

If you raise the boom you will, automaticaly bend the main sail.
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:30   #3

Boat: None at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivonia View Post
If you raise the boom you will, automaticaly bend the main sail.
Right, but if I have say 6 inches of travel on the track, and 6 inches left between the masthead and the head of the sail, would raising the boom that 6 inches not allow me to then raise the main higher with out affecting its shape? So in effect, both pieces move the same distance, moving the system vertically as a unit. End result should simply be more clearance in the cockpit, no?
DaBod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:48   #4

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

DaBod,
I did exactly what you want to do with the mizzen on my boat. Did it to allow 6'2" head room under a bimini I was having made. No problems with sail shape (although I'm not real fussy about the mizzen shape), but it does make setting and furling the sail a little more difficult as I have to stand on tip-toe to reach the headboard and halyard shackle.
You really want the bimini to parallel the coach roof as much as possible. Having it slope down toward the forward end of the cockpit will not look good. If you can remove that slope by raising the main boom - I say go for it.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 15:58   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Next time you are aboard raise your mainsail to its highest point on the mast. When you raise it make certain your downhaul is released, your vang is release and your mainsheet is released before raising the main via its halyard. See how high it it will go without binding. Once you have the halyard nice and tight then haul down on your downhaul (lightly in light winds and more tension in heavy winds). Now take your measurements. You'll want to use your bimini when sailing and you don't want to the boom to scrape across the top of your bimini each time you tack or jibe so give it a little extra room.
Good luck in sorting it out.
I don't think it would look bad with a bit of forward rake if you need to drop the forward end of it a bit.
kind regards,
Old 01-05-2013, 22:01   #6

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Smile Re: Boom Height

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBod View Post
Right, but if I have say 6 inches of travel on the track, and 6 inches left between the masthead and the head of the sail, would raising the boom that 6 inches not allow me to then raise the main higher with out affecting its shape? So in effect, both pieces move the same distance, moving the system vertically as a unit. End result should simply be more clearance in the cockpit, no?
You are correct. Are you able to release the Vang?
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote