Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2017, 04:53   #1

Boat: Bristol 35
pirate Bought my boat! Cape Dory 27 CD27

I had previously bought a Bristol 35, a friend with cancer needed it more than I so I gave it to her. It was the right time for her but not for me. Now I have found MY boat, a Cape Dory 27 and I love it! It could go in the water now but I want to spiff it up, paint, re-bed hardware etc. Anyone with a CD27 what have you done to make improvements? I will make her so I can stay off the dock for a couple months at a time. Considering putting in a composting head to remove the holding tank. I plan to use the V berth as my stowage/ garage/ work bench and sleep in the saloon. It will be just me as hubby has decided he doesn't share the dream. That's ok, I'll always have a home base this way. I think I don't want dingy davits as it's not a large boat. Considering a little folding porta-boat- thoughts? I do feel I need an arch to put solar panels on. Also thinking of mast steps- folding or no? I want it as simple as possible as I need to know and be able to fix as much on my own as possible. I love that it's tiller steer. The mast in anodized but that wears off and I am considering painting it. The rigging looks good but I am pretty sure I want to replace it all and start fresh as I want it as solid as possible. The port lights do not appear to have any leaks but I have some larger port lights from another boat and I'd like them bigger to get better air flow but the thought of changing them seems a little daunting. They do need new gaskets if I keep them. I also want to make screens for them. any and all suggestions are welcome (I know, that could be a can of worms) I'd like suggestions on the best long lasting bottom paint for southern waters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21752396_10210299247613722_8473113262985243020_n.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	156152   Click image for larger version

Name:	21761655_10210299247693724_3332892030082396471_n.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	156153  

Click image for larger version

Name:	21751613_10210299247573721_8687505307253008439_n.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	156154   Click image for larger version

Name:	21751783_10210299247653723_5286686895661914408_n.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	156155  

biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 05:09   #2

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft
Re: Bought my boat! Cape Dory 27 CD27

Can't offer any advice, but certainly sounds like you have a solid handle on where you're going with this, so just wanted to offer my congratulations!

A friend of mine had a Cape Dory 27 & she loved it!
Enjoy the process of getting her there!
Old 16-09-2017, 06:19   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Congratulations!

The CDSOA, Inc. is a national organization of Cape Dory and Robinhood sailboat owners ➥ Welcome to the Cape Dory Sailboat Owners Association's Home Page

CDSOA, Inc. -- About Cape Dorys

CDSOA, Inc. -- CD27

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2017, 22:31   #4

Boat: Bristol 35

Thank you, I've found the Cape Dory owners group harder to search for info on so was hoping for some general knowledge from this group.
biker6977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 00:24   #5

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Good onya! Enjoy her when you get her wet. Meanwhile, I'd not put larger portlights in. Could be a real can of worms, with structural weakening in a crucial area as well as the risk of introducing leaks. If better ventilation is required, think more of wind scoops than changing non-leaking ports! Much bigger gains are available via that route anyway.

The usual advice to not make any significant changes until you have used the boat for a decent while is always worth repeating, so I'll repeat it!!

Good luck and happy sailing.

Jim
Old 17-09-2017, 08:36   #6

Boat: Scout 30

Congratulations on getting a great boat. Regarding the composting head finding one that fits the space is more important than whether you get an Airhead, Nature's Head or C-Head. I'd start with the C-Head because there are several designs including one that's shorter in height. The C-Head will also work without a powered vent sometimes so installation can be very easy. Regarding the solar panels I'd go with flexible panels on a bimini instead of an arch which would compromise the looks of what is really a great looking boat. Regarding the ports, I agree that changing them is a mistake. You get your breeze from the bow at anchor and a windscoop can channel a ton of air into the boat.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 08:49   #7

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

Wonderful boats! Enjoy!
Old 17-09-2017, 09:03   #8

I have one -- wonderful boat! I would not change the portlights -- you can get screens from Spartan Marine at Robinhood Marina in Maine. I would think of inspecting and possibly replacing the standing rigging as a first step.
Congratulations. And do join the CDSOA.
jfischgrund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 09:12   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Congratulations! What a great little boat! My 2cents worth? Composting head is a good idea, you'll need to take a lot of measurements though as the current space may need to be modified to accommodate it. I took out my holding tank + head in favor of a 5 gallon porta-potty, with ideas of composter someday, but I have not regretted it for a second. So, for now, that Thetford porta-potty (the best IMO) either with or without the pump-out feature, may be a good way to go. For me, no leaks, no smell (which was not the case with the former head.)
As for a good dinghy for a smaller boat, as much as I love zipping around with an outboard on a nice little RIB, the one I have happily settled on and have no regrets on is an expedition size inflatable kayak with a drop-stitch floor that is almost rigid. I can pack 850 pounds in it, or the whole family, and still paddle it by myself into a headwind. It rolls up to be easily thrown into the cockpit footwell temporarily or stowed on the bow or even in my case below decks too. I am one who eschews the presence of items of windage so davits and dinghies don't appeal to me in general on a smaller boat. For that reason I think one or two solar panels on the pushpit that can fold up/down is a good way to go. I like the idea of a flexible panel on the bimini, but where does it go when you want to fold up the bimini? As far as mast steps, I am luke warm on those.. I just don't need to climb the mast often enough to justify the windage and weight aloft, as small as it might be. But, I'd go with folding if you need them. As far as ports, leave them and get a wind scoop as Scout said. Good luck!!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 09:28   #10

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

Congratulations. Awesome boat. The adventure begins.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 09:43   #11

Boat: Valiant 40

I suggest you hold off on making major modifications to the boat until you've lived with it (and on it) for awhile. Often what seems to make sense in theory reveals itself to be unnecessary in practice. Such as changing the port lights. And as someone who replaced the port lights (out of necessity) on my boat, I can attest to it being potentially more work than you anticipate. If you end up feeling after some experience with the boat that it needs more ventilation, there are other options (dorades, Vetus vents, mushrooms, etc.).

Before you go building an arch (expensive!) and adding solar panels, you should have a good handle on your energy requirements. While you can project and budget in theory, nothing beats living on the boat and tracking your energy usage. Bite the bullet and run the engine to charge the batteries for a few months while you find out what your energy usage pattern is. You'll be in a better position to design a solar installation that meets your specific needs.

I would NOT NOT NOT paint the mast! Where anodizing has worn off the mast the aluminum will simply oxidize and be stabilized for the most part. Painting a mast, unless done painstakingly well and with perfect preparation and materials, is a recipe for flaking paint and serious corrosion. With an anodized mast I would only paint it if it looked absolutely awful and I could not live with it for some reason. That said, I would take off every bit of hardware, remove scale/corrosion, and replace everything bedded with a corrosion inhibitor like Tef-gel.

I suggest you focus your initial efforts on restoration and preservation...fix what's broken, protect the boat. Refinish the exterior wood, give the deck gelcoat a good polish and wax, clean the stainless, etc. Major modifications (other than the composting head, which will actually give you more room as well) should wait until the basics are sound and you know the boat better.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 09:46   #12

Boat: Mariah 31 & Triton 28

Composting toilets are wonderful. No smell, no pump outs.
I have used both natures head and C heads. They are both good.
Never needed to install the fans. Placement might be an issue.
C head has several designs and you can also make your own box.
somanyboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 09:51   #13

Boat: ODAY 28

there is a Cape Dory association in Fairhope AL. the new commodore of the CDA is a member of the Fairhope yacht club. there are several Cape Dorys at the club.if you need more info send me a PM
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2017, 09:51   #14

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Although implicit in your post and your questions, do not forget the most important thing of all: Enjoy! Aside from that Jim Cate's advice re ventilation should be heeded. The risk (almost a certainty in my view) of problems as weighed against the relatively minor benefits is difficult to justify. Scoops, fans, even air conditioning seem like less trouble. I was also unsure about the "solution" for the mast. Anodizing does wear, but it its unclear if it has, and if it has is there a problem that needs painting? Do inspect the rigging carefully, and you have a great opportunity to install lights and devices. Still, your boat; your choices. And do not forget to enjoy!
Old 17-09-2017, 10:17   #15

Congrats. My advice is get her in good shape as she sits. Use her a year or two then decide on any changes. You'll have a much different opinion then.
I totally agree do not paint an unpainted mast. I had a big expensive mast rebuilt/rerigged and repainted to the tune of $15k. Within a year off shore it was blistering on the lower 6 ft of the mast. An unpainted mast is far the better.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cape dory