Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2019, 09:35   #1

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Bristol 38.8 fuel tank

Hello.
I need to install a fuel tank on a Bristol 38.8. Anyone out there know where I can find the specs? The old tank was removed and not available to measure. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thx,
Capt. Pati
captpati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:59   #2

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5
Re: Bristol 38.8 fuel tank

I think Luthers welding made the original tanks for Bristol and may have the specs. You could just measure the space and you might be able to get a slightly bigger tank. The fuel fill location is critical since the fill hose is so short. Be careful to allow for the bend radius of the throttle and shift cable also.

Luthers: Metal Fabrication & Welding for the Marine Industry- Bristol, Rhode Island
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:36   #3

Thanks so much. I’ve contacted Luther’s and will wait to hear if they can help. Their website says they’ve been building market be tanks for 20 years. My boat is 1990, so we’ll see. Thanks again
Old 06-03-2019, 12:48   #4

Try the Bristol owners groups also. If you can't find the dimensions, let me know. I have a friend with a 38.8 that might be willing to measure his tank.
Old 07-03-2019, 04:38   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Pati.

You could measure the empty cavity, where the old tank lived. The new tank has to fit the space, not match the old.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:24   #6

Still haven’t heard from Luther’s. Bristol owners group here is mostly a social group it seems. I haven’t had luck with them.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:27   #7

You’re right about the new tank not having to be exactly the same. It just adds so much to the process to figure out where all the connections for fill, venting, engine feed, etc go. Would be so easy if I had original specs. Thanks though...may be the way I have to go to just re do the whole thing from scratch.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:51   #8

Hello,
Our 1982 #6 Bristol 38.8 has two tanks 15 gal/16gal
I would be happy to provide sizes for you-
I’ll be at boat this weekend- would be happy to provide any details you may need.
Mplight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:55   #9

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI

Just make sure you can fit the tank in and out of the boat through the cockpit access or the engine access all the way to where the tank goes getting past all the existing hoses, wires and other obstacles in your way. Maybe a cardboard box made to match the actual tank dimensions will make sure you can even fit the new tank in place. On a Morgan, that was quite a problem, had to rebuild the old tank instead of removing the whole engine for access. Measure carefully, may have to spin the tank while down below in crammed quarters, just to get it into place. Secure it very well in it's cradle; a full tank would generate a tremendous force trying to move around in a seaway. Clean out ports would simplify cleaning the tank someday and to not put a screen strainer on the end of the outlet tube, the screen will clog someday.
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by captpati View Post
You’re right about the new tank not having to be exactly the same. It just adds so much to the process to figure out where all the connections for fill, venting, engine feed, etc go. Would be so easy if I had original specs. Thanks though...may be the way I have to go to just re do the whole thing from scratch.
On my 35.5 the tank will come out thru the cockpit lockers. 31 gallon tank. The fuel fill is on the cockpit floor and there is about 5 or 6 inches down to the tank fill. They have to be aligned really close since that short of fill hose wont bend much. The other fitting placements aren't critical. If your tank is under the steering pedestal allow for the bend radius of the throttle and shift cable (4" bend radius).
Old 17-05-2019, 12:19   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by captpati View Post
Hello.
I need to install a fuel tank on a Bristol 38.8. Anyone out there know where I can find the specs? The old tank was removed and not available to measure. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thx,
Capt. Pati
This may be much too late, but for future reference:
I was just down in my lazarette. My 1983 38.8 has a 30 gal tank made by Florida Marine Tanks in Hialeah. The label also lists a location in Dexter, MO. The model appears to be CJP.
Sadly, no inspection port that I could see.
fkrusemark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel tank