Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2019, 09:07   #16

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: Bristol 51.1 - What do I need to know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEh Marine View Post
I echo all of Exiles comments.

Our last boat was a more modern long water line design with flat forward sections . Yes she was fast but not comfortable. When we first sailed a Bristol I was astounded how seakindly she was . What a Cadillac!

And slow? Not at all for her displacement. One thing when you get a boat with good weight to her she is not effected as much by what you are carrying . So load her up and she does not slow .

Our center board has giving us no trouble and if it did I would fix it. It really is one of my favorite features of the boat. I find a noticeable difference upwind , but I am a dinghy racer at heart.

And yes Exile , I am always watching .

Regards John
Hmmmm . . . might have to reconsider reactivating my centerboard at some point. I never seriously raced sailboats, so quite possibly may not know what I'm missin'.

But first, refrigeration! And how best to potentially integrate with what I already have. The problem is the two other systems work quite well, and who wants to dispense with a system on a boat that actually works! I'll send you a pm.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 19:16   #17

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

I thought I was an OK sailor until I started racing. Board makes big difference, both in pointing and leeway.

I replaced my fuel tank. Old rusted steel. It fit out the cockpit locker hatch with some minimal disassembly. Fuel issues completely solved. I think they said $8 per gallon was general rule of thumb for aluminum tank fabrication pricing. Don't know where tankage on yours is located. My water tanks are plastic and appear original.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:37   #18

I was never in a blow offshore where anyone thought the boat was too heavy. I agree that Bristol’s sail very well given their displacement.
goodnumbers64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:10   #19

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Mine seems to want about 10kts TWS to overcome her own inertia, especially with winds abaft the beam. Fastest point of sail is about 50-60º AWA. Helps to roll in mainsail early to keep the big rudder from pushing too much water and slowing her down. Not as rolly downwind as would be expected from her "Whale-type" bottom, but takes some tinkering with the sails. A beam reach in heavier seas? Still tinkering/learning with that one.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 18:18   #20

Would you mind sharing what became of your interest in this boat?
Endurance19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:02   #21

Please PM me at goodnumbers64@gmail.com
goodnumbers64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 08:31   #22

Good news that the tanks were replaced. Sign of a good owner. Buying a boat from a good owner is worth about a 30% premium and save you endless headaches.

Is the owner friendly and reachable by phone? Most owners love their boats and really want it to continue to have a good life under the next owner. I stay in touch with the people who buy my boats for years answering questions that come up.

But for now, have the owner tell you what, besides the tanks, have been replaced recently. Each new thing is less work for the surveyor. Don't trust the broker or listing. Talk to the owner if at all possible.

And after you buy it, see if he'll go through the boat with you. With the sale done, he may be more comfortable pointing out things he's been watching - and no one knows the boat better. Every boat has odd noises or strange spots that can scare the crap out of you if you don't know about it.

Finally, do not put too much faith in surveyors to find everything. In the half day or day of a typical survey you can't possibly check everything on a 51ft boat. Focus on the big stuff (water in decks, structural). Don't waste a lot of time checking every hose clamp. You can do that later.

Try to find a surveyor who has surveyed Bristols - better a 51. If they've seen the boat before they know what to look for. And remember that the written survey will go to your insurance company and they'll insist on everything being fixed before coverage. If you want to go south fast, a long list of little things can delay you. Most surveyors are glad to tell you about minor stuff that should be fixed "one of these days" without putting it in the written report. And go over this list with the owner after the sale. He may of some items "it's been that way for 15 years without getting any worse".
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote