Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2021, 18:40   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: British built yachts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Swan, Oyster, pre 2000 Moody, Westerly to name a few..
But if I had the funds this would be on my list to view.. Dutch build..
https://www.apolloduck.co.uk/boat/ko...or-sale/617616
Oh, yes! Good eye, Boatie!
Old 05-03-2021, 03:46   #17

Thanks everyone for very helpful advice (lovely scene setting TrentePied!) & have sent a request for info on those two boats mentioned - good picks! Defo don't want to spend as much money if we don't have to, it would be very tight but I had got the impression, the older the boat, the more to go wrong.. So many things to think about, it feels like a bit of a minefield!
Thanks again
Higherfield26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 12:19   #18

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higherfield26 View Post
Thanks everyone for very helpful advice (lovely scene setting TrentePied!) & have sent a request for info on those two boats mentioned - good picks! Defo don't want to spend as much money if we don't have to, it would be very tight but I had got the impression, the older the boat, the more to go wrong.. So many things to think about, it feels like a bit of a minefield!
Thanks again
As a lifetime boat shopper I wish you well! Please let us know what you settle on.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 13:21   #19

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Yes, indeed :-). Winches worth 5 grand a pop no doubt make a lot of things much easier. But then, the 20 grand (or even just 10) buried in winches goes a long way towards other things if you are set up physically and mentally to handle 400 SqFt without mechanical advantage.

The MAIN on a Bristol 45.5 is about 400 SqFt out of the scant 1,000 total, and it was the main I was talking about. Headsls are a kettle of fish of a different colour, I think you will agree :-)

My personal rule of thumb is that 400 is about the upper limit of what it is COMFORTABLE for anybody to handle, and our OP (let alone the kiddies) sez she is of scant experience.

TP
If the main is 400 that means 100% foresail is 600 and 130% that much more. My wife could handle it all quite comfortably. We set the mainsheet up in an interesting way. When we bought the boat it deadended at the traveller on the aft edge of the cockpit and was lead to a winch on the cabin top. That did not seem like an efficient setup so we put a big-ass Harken ratcheting triple block on the traveller. We used this block probably 97% of the time and used the end of the sheet winch only in more extreme conditions.

Sail-handling was all very comfortable. The vast sums spent on cockpit winches (the secondaries were 55s) added much to the ease of handling such a big (displacement if not LOA) boat double handed, or in fact singlehanded if one person was asleep or otherwise busy. Very much appreciated on the windy bit from Cocos-Keeling to South Africa when we got quite used to 35+ knots for days (weeks).

Tags
yacht