Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2015, 03:38   #1

British to Dutch Yacht Registration - Pls help

Hi there,

I am quite confused. I am British, I live in Holland. I just bought a boat and it is registered as British. Although the SSR can not find any record of her.

I am happy to leave it registered as British but I think I have to live in the UK for 185 days per year.

So now that brings me to registering it as a dutch boat.

I understand that there are a couple of options. I want the cheapest and most basic option. I will be sailing to the Med and maybe very occasionally outside the EU.

One other thing, the boat came with an MMSI number, Do I need to update that or do I get a new one? Where do I update that or get a new one? Also on my AIS it says she is British Registered.

Any pointers on where to go now? I have a stack of forms from the Kadsaster but before I fill them in i want to make sure that I am doing the correct things.
MedSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 04:25   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: British to Dutch Yacht Registration - Pls help

Unless it's changed, for SSR you have to be "normally resident" or something like that. Many full time cruising consider themselves legal as if their yacht sunk they'd be on a plane home and resident again! (They don't check)

As far as I know they only want a UK address as well as maybe a UK based credit card. I had my 43' yacht quite successfully SSR registered from 2008-2011 and another 30' 2010. All done online with a friends address in London.

They did not question if I was actually a commonwealth citizen either. Although my daughter is.
Old 20-11-2015, 08:36   #3

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

I thought you could still have your boat UK registered, even if you didn't live there. You'll just have it "Part I" registered in stead of "Part III".
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 00:29   #4

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft

Don't do anything... no one seems to care!
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 07:43   #5

LS,
For British it is possible to registrate, with a so called ICP, in Holland but you need a Dutch person as a representative and offcourse you have to delver a copy of your ID and prove that you are the owner of the yacht. You can do that by internet at the Durch tourist organisation ANWB; search for ANWB and ICP and you will find the way.
The telecom things are organised bij the organisation Agentschap Telecom in Groningen.

Regards, Martin
Maver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 08:31   #6

Boat: Halmatic 30

The (ship registration) Kadaster is the official Dutch registration of ships. You are then the official legal owner of the ship. It is called here Register-goed. It has about the same status as a Property Registration. There are 3 options: Inland, Fishery or Sea.

For sailing to other Countries you can get a Zeebrief. That is the official Dutch document for seagoing vessels.

To my knowledge, the Kadaster only ask for a non-registration Declaration from the UK Ships Registration Office and of course you have to proof your ownership of the boat.

But registration at the Kadaster is complicated and the costs are rather high. But selling the boat later, you can proof that you are the legal Owner and the Registration can simply be transferred to a new Owner.

Kadaster Registration is also needed if you need a Mortgage on the boat.

Another question is, has the VAT on this Boat been paid ? Does not matter where in Europe. You may have to proof that at the Customs.

Is there an invoice or another proof that VAT (BTW as it is called here) has been paid.

Bram
verkerkbr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 09:13   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedSailing View Post
Hi there,

I am quite confused. I am British, I live in Holland. I just bought a boat and it is registered as British. Although the SSR can not find any record of her.

I am happy to leave it registered as British but I think I have to live in the UK for 185 days per year.

So now that brings me to registering it as a dutch boat.

I understand that there are a couple of options. I want the cheapest and most basic option. I will be sailing to the Med and maybe very occasionally outside the EU.

One other thing, the boat came with an MMSI number, Do I need to update that or do I get a new one? Where do I update that or get a new one? Also on my AIS it says she is British Registered.

Any pointers on where to go now? I have a stack of forms from the Kadsaster but before I fill them in i want to make sure that I am doing the correct things.
Hi! MedSailing,

From British to Dutch, you will need to pay the Dutch taxes, if any.

Secondly, the Ship Station Radio License (MMSI No) is good only for British registered (with British Callsign). If you register your yacht as a Dutch, then you will need a new Dutch Callsign. Therefore, you will need to get a new one from the Dutch. After registered as a Dutch with a new Dutch callsign, you need to apply for the new Ship Station Radio License (MMSI No) from the Dutch Authority. Your AIS need to update and program with the new Dutch callsign, port of registry and your boat details.

Since you will be sailing to Med and maybe very occasionally outside the EU. Then, I recommend you to register under Langkawi International Yacht Registry (LIYR). It's cheapest, no taxes, simple, fast and very convenience. Just get an Agent (Info.Marine@rocketmail.com), send them a copy of your passport, your full address & contact details, boat's Deletion Certificate from British registry, Bill of Sale from previous Owner, a copy of previous (British) registration and the sums of USD2,000.00 (USD Two Thousand only).

You will get your yacht registration and a new Ship Station Radio License (MMSI NO) within three weeks. Annually, you pay LIYR USD95.00 for the Tonnage Dues and USD30.00 for the Ship Station Radio License (MMSI NO).

All the best......Elise.
helise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 12:09   #8

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Have you considered placing the yacht on the Isle of Man register? The current cost is most reasonable (GBP160 to transfer on to the register & annual fees of GBP120) and the best thing I found was the email replies to my queries were both detailed and prompt.
LACHLANC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
registration, yacht