Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2023, 12:57   #16

Boat: Sceptre 41
Re: Buy a Dinghy Motor or No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuyInaShirt View Post
When you use your dinghy do you just leave it ashore and hope for the best? That would give me anxiety. I left my dinghy ashore on Hornby a few summers ago and was half expecting to need to swim back to the boat after my excursion XD.
Here in British Columbia: YES!

(If motor is on it, we often "disable" it - - take kill cord or unplug spark plug. Not really disabled, but slows them down and stymies those not very familiar with outboards.)

But generally, it is not a worry.
sv_pelagia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2023, 13:06   #17

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Hopefully traveling through developing countries means more reliable fuel and engines.
In my experience (Mexico), it's the same (at best) and often opposite (especially fuel).
sv_pelagia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2023, 14:37   #18

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Can't imagine depending on ALWAYS/ONLY rowing an inflatable. There are times you will be severely limited.
This is a valid argument. Our 3.5m RIB rows better than many, but in as little as 20 knots of wind, along with a bit of chop, it becomes impossible to make headway directly upwind.
Throw in some current and progress is usually backwards.

If the wind has come up whilst you are ashore, getting back to the boat can easily be impossible. Sure, there are alternative methods, like dragging the dink to some place upwind of the boat, or using some obscure route to avoid direct upwind work, but it is, to me at least, a poor outlook. When one is cruising, dinghy expeditions are a routine part of life, whether for pleasure or necessity, and IMO if one uses an inflatable, a motor is a requirement, both for utility and for safety.

If you really want to row, get a decent pulling boat of some sort and go for it.

Jim
Old 14-02-2023, 13:09   #19

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Buy a Dinghy Motor or No?

Quote:
I wish I could post my bug-eyed emoji here because you are obviously a treasure trove of good information. I think you just convinced me to not buy an outboard at all, lol. I take it two stroke is more reliable? I guess I'll have to wait until Mexico to get the 2 stroke as they are not sold new in Canada.

I'm in western Canada right now, I don't expect I'll see Europe again for decades. Hopefully traveling through developing countries means more reliable fuel and engines. We can't get ethanol free fuel in Canada either.

Thanks for your response:-)

For an inflatable, I would not skip a motor of some sort. At least get a trolling motor. If you are in BC, should be no problem.

Dinghies getting blown out to sea with crew aboard has happened. Usually because the outboard died and they had gotten complacent about bringing the oars.

For a decent rowing dinghy, no motor would be fine.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 15:32   #20

For a cheap option and if you are athletic, consider a kayak. I have used a 2 person kayak as my dinghy for 2 years and have not had any regrets. It's light enough to haul up on board by hand, I don't care much if it gets stolen, and it's faster and easier to paddle than any dinghy. No engine or fuel to deal with, and easier to "park" in many places where a dinghy would be inappropriate or impossible. On it I carry all my laundry, groceries, folding bike, etc.
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 08:28   #21

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

A good dinghy with a reliable motor is a must for us.
Old 17-02-2023, 08:50   #22

The best dingy outboard I have had was 2 hp Tohatsu. Very simple, no gearbox, just turn the outboard around for reverse - and it was light to bring on board. I cannot think of it ever giving me a problem. I always filled the fuel through a woman's stocking.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 09:50   #23

A small outboard motor can be a great asset. Get a bracket for the back of your Centaur that lowers down and it can be a backup for you mainship too. The bracket is good for storage also.
You are going cruising to see the sights right? you need a way to accomplish that!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 10:13   #24

How about a Kayak? Much easier to row, doesn't need (but can use) an a small trolling motor to move quickly. Not as big or as stable as a dinghy, but low budget, almost indestructible, can be setup for different needs, not as appealing to thieves, etc.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2023, 11:42   #25

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Your dinghy will now be your family car. An outboard is essential, you'll be traversing miles of bays to get to stores, bars and beaches.
No way I'd go without one.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2023, 08:12   #26

Boat: CSY33

Quote:
I've been out cruising on my tiny little Westerly Centaur … if I had an outboard motor for my inflatable dinghy. … what do you think?
As Westerly Centaur owner for 25 yrs I commend your plans for further cruising. No doubts in my belief, buy a used 2-stroke of 2-4hp. I had a 9ft Avon and 2hp Evinrude. It was great but I would have liked some extra push. It could move my Centaur in dead calm if tied alongside.

Do not rely on rowing. You already acknowledge not going some places because of the distance. Get a small kicker and open up your world.
Trekka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, motor