Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2020, 01:45   #1

Buying a boat in Cancun Mexico

Hi Everyone,

I'm based in Australia, but have seen a boat I really like in Cancun, the only thing stopping me from completing the deal is viewing the boat and picking it up (border closures). Does anyone have advice on how someone in my situation could proceed? This is my first boat, I want it as a live aboard and blue water cruising.

My other option would be to fly over to Mexico, when things open up, spend some time cruising the local waters before finding a competent skipper to help me sail her back to NZ/Australia (provided covid doesn't change things further)

I guess I'm looking for logical ideas, from people in the know?

Cheers in advance!

Greg
Indipol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 02:14   #2

Boat: Boatless
Re: Buying a boat in Cancun Mexico

We sailed from Cancun to New Zealand via about 12 countries and spent 4 months in the Yucatan over two seasons.

Cancun is not a good place to refit and prepare a boat for an 8,000nm blue water trip. We sailed back to the US to refit because of the ease of getting parts in the US. You could probably refit on the Rio Dulce.

The local officials can be difficult at times, my wife is Hispanic and she used to be a freight forwarder and she ran afoul of customs when bringing in parts.

It is also Caribbean Hurricane season and you might not get insurance until November and then you run into the Pacific storm season, we could not enter French Polynesia until April.

You would be looking at hiring a skipper for up to 3 months to complete the trip...Lots of good boats for sale between Panama and New Zealand.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 02:31   #3

Re: Buying a boat in Cancun Mexico

Thanks for that, I have my heart set on a HR 42F and have a tight budget, that's the appeal. I didn't factor in the cyclone season so that's much appreciated advice. I guess maybe I'll keep looking local for the time being.
Indipol is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, cancun, Mexico