Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2011, 06:53   #31

Boat: Able 50
Re: Buying a Boat in the US vs Oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
I was under the impression that they appointed the valuer, and you had to accept his valuation.
That might only apply if you make a direct voyage from the place of purchase to Australia. Their usual thing is to think of a number and double it or something like that. As with everything else they won't commit to a number of months or a cutoff time because they just love being vague. Anyway, a voyage of two years would be plenty long enough to rely on a private valuation. The reasoning is that the boat will have devalued enough during such a long voyage to make the purchase price (as increased by expenses) irrelevant.

The valuer won't be too tough on the owner lest a reputation for toughness deprives him of all work in that area.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 14:18   #32

Boat: deboated

Savoir - Please some people are relying on accurate info to make a big decision = dollars. Valuation would only be called for in cases where the submitted price did not match their average price for a boat of that vintage/make/model etc. As I suggested in other posts use a customs agent do not do it yourself as this raises concerns. Purchase the boat through a broker and make sure you have all the documentation, dont conveniently misplace it this also raises suspicion. Private sales can come into question as to what is shown on the paper work as to what really was the purchase price. Customs agents are cheap and make the import run smoothly right from the point of entry. Unfortunately some resent paying for anything and will go to great lengths and cause themselves problems in doing so which they then broadcast to the world via forums like this one.
meyermm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 16:14   #33

Boat: Prout Event 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia

Wow that's all great guys and gals! The fit out lists and the import info. I really appreciate it.

I of course had a good idea of what I would need in the way of fit out.... but those were a great checklist. Funny - had seen a couple of boats with deisle stoves and thought they would be really smelly, but the previous owners loved them for a really nice 'dry' heat to help keep the condensation down (it was a steel boat).
Aussie_Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 17:11   #34
Armchair Bucketeer

As a fellow islander I can sympathise with the problems of buying in a restricted market - and the frustrations of looking at overpriced *****

I know nothing about buying a boat in Oz or the US - but I suggest you consider very carefully the aggravation and cost (in cash and time) in firstly finding a suitable boat(s) abroad, then fitting out (always "stuff") and then sailing / shipping home. It's all doable at arms length and / or by you travelling, but have to rely on others and / or have to trade time for cash more than you would do at home.

My gut says that budget doesn't really have much saving involved, if any. What you more likely gain is choice - and more chance (but no guarantee) of finding something in decent condition for the buck. But in your shoes and budget (and with extended period voyaging in the plans) I would look to buy in the US, and then cruise in the Carribean (or the US) for a year or 2 - before heading "home".......possibly via Europe
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 05:23   #35

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyermm View Post
Savoir - Please some people are relying on accurate info to make a big decision = dollars. Valuation would only be called for in cases where the submitted price did not match their average price for a boat of that vintage/make/model etc. As I suggested in other posts use a customs agent do not do it yourself as this raises concerns. Purchase the boat through a broker and make sure you have all the documentation, dont conveniently misplace it this also raises suspicion. Private sales can come into question as to what is shown on the paper work as to what really was the purchase price. Customs agents are cheap and make the import run smoothly right from the point of entry. Unfortunately some resent paying for anything and will go to great lengths and cause themselves problems in doing so which they then broadcast to the world via forums like this one.
Rather than give your ignorant, patronising and just plain wrong post the spray it deserves I shall depart this thread. You aint worth it.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 17:42   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Rather than give your ignorant, patronising and just plain wrong post the spray it deserves I shall depart this thread. You aint worth it.
I am speaking from personal experience are you?
Old 25-04-2011, 07:54   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Lagoon 440, for sale from March 2016 in New Caledonia
Lightbulb Why not find cruisers who will deliver your boat ?

As most Pacific cruising is done along the "coconut route", how about trying to find a family interested in an Australia-bound, 1 or 2-year cruise from the US or the West Indies? They would be all the more happy to upgrade and properly equip the boat for blue water cruising, and possibly even buy the model /year from your shortlist in the first place, that they won't worry about being stuck down under with a boat they can't sell quickly.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do with a Lagoon 440 catamaran - find an Australian family who would want it delivered to their doorstep, after our 18-month cruise from Martinique.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...3-a-59345.html
I believe that the sale of their boat should be at the top of the list of cruisers, even before they buy (at least, those like me who can't afford more than 18-20 months' sabbatical )

I would be happy to sail to Australia on a Cal 39 or Roberts 38, knowing I will avoid most of the hassle of selling, even if I would personally much prefer a 40-46' Jeanneau or Beneteau. That is, if I didn't have a wife and 3 girls who refuse to sail on a monohull now that they've tried a cat!
Wellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 13:57   #38

Boat: Custom

Wellington, your theory is novel, as I read it (and I could be wrong) you are looking for a free ride for 18 months - 2 years with a guarantee at the end. The prospective purchaser doesn't know you, nor how well you would look after the boat and equipment but would presumably be locked into some form of agreement.

On top of that you need to wait up to 2 years as purchaser to get your hands on it, with all the vagaries of currency etc.

To be honest I can't imagine anybody being remotely interested in such a deal.

But as I said I may have got the wrong end of the stick

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 15:49   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123 View Post
Wellington, your theory is novel, as I read it (and I could be wrong) you are looking for a free ride for 18 months - 2 years with a guarantee at the end. The prospective purchaser doesn't know you, nor how well you would look after the boat and equipment but would presumably be locked into some form of agreement.

On top of that you need to wait up to 2 years as purchaser to get your hands on it, with all the vagaries of currency etc.

To be honest I can't imagine anybody being remotely interested in such a deal.

But as I said I may have got the wrong end of the stick
I agree with your comments and like you not a hundred percent sure that is what Wellington meant. Time is the big problem with all these schemes everyone wants it now and cruising is a slow process which gets more hazardous the faster you go.
Old 04-05-2011, 20:20   #40

Boat: Bavaria Vision 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Kojiro

Hi, I'm new to CF. Sailed from England to WI in 1989/90 stopping off to have (...my wife) a baby in Lisbon on the way. Got off the boat in St Lucia.
About to return to the sea.....the baby is now 22 and has left home.

A question about buying a boat overseas (ie. not in Australia): For anyone who has done it did you by through a third party (boroker, or whatever)...that is to say with just pictures and maybe a survey to go on?

I'd like to buy now while dollar is high, but do not have the time to go visit US, WI, etc looking at boats.

Look forward to thoughts, etc.
Kojiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 21:41   #41

Boat: Custom

Hi Kojiro and welcome.

Interesting because I initially thought that way. Having read some of the horror stories bestowed upon people by brokers (including to me) there is no way I wouldn't inspect.

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 21:55   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojiro View Post
Hi, I'm new to CF. Sailed from England to WI in 1989/90 stopping off to have (...my wife) a baby in Lisbon on the way. Got off the boat in St Lucia.
About to return to the sea.....the baby is now 22 and has left home.

A question about buying a boat overseas (ie. not in Australia): For anyone who has done it did you by through a third party (broker, or whatever)...that is to say with just pictures and maybe a survey to go on?

I'd like to buy now while dollar is high, but do not have the time to go visit US, WI, etc looking at boats.

Look forward to thoughts, etc.
Go through a broker but do not buy without seeing and verifying.
Old 05-05-2011, 17:38   #43

Boat: Bristol 38.8

I don't knowthe exchange rates of the U.S. dollar vs the Australian dollar, but the U.S. dollar is down so much against the Euro that, at least here on the U.S. East coast, there are a significant number of European buyers seeking to acquire a boat at a (roughly) 33% discount and sail it back across the pond. Due to economic conditions, there is a very large inventory of unsold boats in the U.S. The brokers will try to tell you otherwise, but don't believe them.

So it's a good time to buy a boat in the U.S. and sail it back somewhere else. The logistics of the trip and the import duties in non-U.S. jurisdictions are separate issues.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 17:02   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123 View Post
Hi Kojiro and welcome.

Interesting because I initially thought that way. Having read some of the horror stories bestowed upon people by brokers (including to me) there is no way I wouldn't inspect.
Thanks for your comment. Given strong AUD and oversupply or whatever it is in the rest of the world (especially US), and ridiculous prices for second hand boats in Australia I'd like to buy now or pretty soon but don't have time to visit, inspect, buy boat and start sail home. That's a mid 2012 project.

Anyway, thanks for your reply.
Old 06-05-2011, 17:05   #45

Can anyone explain to me what the reasons are that boats appear relatively "cheap" in the US versus Australia. Is it oversupply? Is it something to do with people writing off boat costs against tax over say 5 years and then selling up for whatever the balloon payment is at the end of a lease? Is it just the size of the US market?
Just intrigued..and happy as long as it lasts.
I've even done searches in WIs and even UK and they also seem relatively cheap compared to Australia.

Tags
buying