Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2024, 08:54   #1

Boat: C&C 30
Buying a boat that’s been sitting on the hard for three years?

I’m considering buying a boat that has been sitting on the hard for the last three years in Mexico. Apart from it not being good for the engine and weathering the canvas, can you guys think of additional things that I should watch out for? I’m going to get it professionally surveyed, but I’m wondering if by definition there are so many problems with a boat like that that I should stay away.
Emoyeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 10:12   #2

Re: Buying a boat that’s been sitting on the hard for three years?

Operation of seacocks
Evidence of rats or mice or cockroaches
State of the batteries - has there been any float charging
Mold or mildew under matresses and behind curtains
Propshaft alignment - i.e how well the hull has been supported.

But surely, after a suitable examination and sea trial, all this can be costed in to your offer? Don’t dismiss the boat just because it’s been out of the water.
KeelsonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 10:23   #3

Boat: Downeaster 38

Not that being on the hard ruins the boat, but the boat may be on the hard because it is ruined…

Stands to reason if the boat was in ship shape, or easily repaired, it would be in the water instead of left in the yard.

Any time a boat is being left on the hard you have to wonder why the owner abandoned it?
Thomas1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 11:04   #4

Boat: Sabre 402

Over the last three years almost every possibly redeemable derelict boat got sold to people trying to get away from Covid. The fact that this boat apparently didn't make the cut is a warning sign. Beyond what KeelsonG suggests looking out for is everything else in the way of wear, tear, delamination, saturation, rot, electrolysis and damage that a boat can have.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 11:12   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1985 View Post
Not that being on the hard ruins the boat, but the boat may be on the hard because it is ruined…

Stands to reason if the boat was in ship shape, or easily repaired, it would be in the water instead of left in the yard.

Any time a boat is being left on the hard you have to wonder why the owner abandoned it?
My boat sat on the hard for 5 years, and that's how I found it.

The owner had left it near here on his return cruise from Florida and the Bahamas on his way back home where he started 2 years earlier Falmouth, MA.

It appears he was ready to be off the boat. This was in 2011, and I'm still sailing this boat.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 12:01   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

There should be a special segment for these threads. Potential boat buyers should be directed there, where they can read to the hearts content the 1,000's of opinions on the matter.

The reality of the matter, is that without seeing the boat with my own two eyes, there is really no way I could make a reasonable appraisal and evaluation.

This is likely true for the dozens of readers of this CF.

The fact that the boat has been sitting on the hard for three years is a telling story right there. Boats like that are often listed at bargain basement prices, hence attracting hordes of wannabe boat owners and sailors.

To make matters worse, it seems you hail from Canada and want a boat in Mexico. There are so many red flags here, my advice is to run, not walk away from this wild goose chase/
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 12:04   #7

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Boats sit for many reasons. Sometimes it's sitting because it's for sale and nobody wants it. Other times it's sitting for other reasons and then the owner finally decides to sell.

Any boat that's been sitting needs a good look to see if it's sitting because of something wrong with the boat, or for other reasons.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 12:50   #8

Boat: Volkscruiser

Emoyeni I went through this recently with a client. I insisted he pay to have the boat launched/retrieved so we could do a proper sea trial and survey. He was reluctant to pay the extra money. But it was money well spent when we found a list of issues.
The reason for sitting on the hard could be anything and really is no different to plenty of boats that haven't left their marina berth in years.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 14:03   #9

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
My boat sat on the hard for 5 years, and that's how I found it.

The owner had left it near here on his return cruise from Florida and the Bahamas on his way back home where he started 2 years earlier Falmouth, MA.

It appears he was ready to be off the boat. This was in 2011, and I'm still sailing this boat.
Ps. My boat had no for sale sign on it.

The owner before he passed was a few 100 miles away and the son was on the opposite coast and for some reason the boatyard folks forgot to put a for sale sign on the boat.

I just happened to ask about it since there were weeds growing around it as in it hadn't been there for a while.

Photos from 2011, 2019, 2024.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B27.2.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	287300   Click image for larger version

Name:	B27.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	287301  

Click image for larger version

Name:	On the Lift 2024.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	432.7 KB
ID:	287302  
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 20:01   #10

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

Emoyeni -

"By definition"? ... no. Other than the obvious things that you mention, there is nothing that I can think of that would cause major structural problems for a boat on the hard that is well-supported. Other things you could expect would be out-of-date electronics, missing electronics and mechanical things (stuff like batteries, pumps, etc., tend to "walk off" an unattended boat on the hard), rust, corrosion, rot, etc., but nothing that a good survey wouldn't find. You may have more of these things than you would otherwise find on a boat that has been constantly used and well-maintained - but nothing related entirely to it being on the hard.

My boat had been on the hard for four years before I bought it. The owner had passed away and his family hadn't gathered up the energy to sell it. They finally listed it with a broker - who found me. Miraculously, the engine started right up - so don't write off the engine without trying it. You may be surprised.

So, look at the photos and see if you're up for catching up on maintenance items and if so, have a good survey done. Chances are, the price will be 'reasonable' - but you'll have a lot of catching up to do.
Old 06-03-2024, 18:59   #11

Boat: C&C 30

That’s a sweet looking boat! What make and model?
Emoyeni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 19:36   #12

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

We bought a boat that had been dry-stored for six years solid in Maine- temp extremes for sure. After a survey revealed a few things, none out of the ordinary, we bought the boat. No regrets- would do it again the same way if I had the chance.
Old 06-03-2024, 20:42   #13

I’ll bet there’s lots of good blue water boats Sam Carlos. They all had to sail there. It’s also super dry. Zero mold/mildew.
Superjunkman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, buying a boat, on the hard