Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2013, 17:56   #1

buying a sailboat

Hello everyone,

For you, those who have experience owning a sailboat, I need your opinion about buying a used sailboat.

I am a dentist, but sailing and sailboats is my other passion. The current sailboat that I have is 1980 Sieddleman 30' that I haven't used in 2 years. I like to upgrade to a slightly bigger boat, and somewhat newer.

I really like to upgrade to a 32'-34' LOA. Can anyone help me with a make and model of a boat that has the following:
- factory installed AC (I am not sure what year they started to have AC as an option for a sailboat.
-A sturdy and seaworthy boat.
-A boat that is fairly reasonable pricewise, compared with other makes of the same LOA and year.
-A good size head with shower.
-A stern that has a platform transom ( I don't know at what year they started this, but I think it after 1990 or newer).
-A boat that is fairly roomy, and comfortable to sleep at for few days at the time.

I appreciate any and all of your feedback.
openseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 18:29   #2

Boat: 1982 Hughes Columbia 8.7
Re: buying a sailboat

Catalina 320 (early 2000's) has all you asked for, AC, usually electric windlass and may have in-mast roller furling. Great practical boat for small family. And sails well too, with lots of factory support!
Julian55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 20:50   #3

Re: buying a sailboat

Openseas - I spent over one year trying to find a sailboat that would suit my style of sailing in the areas that I sail in. That is San Francisco Bay and Californian coat and it had to be 36 feet and have a fin keel. I did not want to buy an other boat. I had to be able to make coastal cruising. The answer was a 1999 Catalina 36 MKII. I could not be happier. It does and behaves exactly what I wanted. Do not rush into it. You must first figure out what your needs are. Do not let a boat broker talk you into buying a boat that they have in their doc. Let us know what you decided. Good luck and have fun.
SouthBaySailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, sailboat