Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2020, 09:03   #1

Buying a sailing boat

I will retire to Philippines next year but don't yet have international sailing qualifications. Where is best to buy as Philippines have limited availability? How viable is buying in Thailand or Malaysia and sailing back? For a 35ft boat would hiring a qualified pilot be good enough and how much would that cost?

I have neither the experience nor qualifications now or even in 10 months time.

Where would I get a better quality boat at the best price?
cooper1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 10:40   #2

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Re: Buying a sailing boat

There are often a good inventory of sailboats for sale in both Malaysia and Thailand, however, I would suggest you consider getting some experience before making the leap into boat ownership. Without some experience, you’re leaving yourself vulnerable to less-than-well meaning individuals who might give you misinformation.

Good luck, fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2020, 11:46   #3

Re: Buying a sailing boat

Thanks.

I'm taking a second sailing course in Philippines in May but it's not RYA accredited as Philippines have no RYA training centres. This allows sailing inside Philippines only.

Someone suggested that hiring a captain would cost $1,000 / 1000 miles + flight and expenses to bring the boat back and give open sea training in addition. If I can get an English speaking expat does this sound a good option?
cooper1991 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, sail, sailing