Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2020, 09:28   #1

Buying an Aloha 27 - is this a good deal?

I am looking for my first boat, something small and cheap to start, but big enough if not to live aboard, then at least go cruising comfortable for a few weeks at a time.

Yesterday I went to see an Aloha 27 from 1981. According to the owner, the boat was sitting in the berth for the last 10 years. They hauled it out this August and did a survey, I saw the report - basically says everything is fine with the hull, some minor blistering but no need for immediate repairs. They put a new paint and zincs. I looked around to the best of my very limited abilitites and deck, hull and interior and everything looked great for such an oldtimer.

Problems:
1. The engine does not start, god knows what happened to it in this ten years. Plus it is raw water cooling and I heard they do not live long in general.
2. Both sails and all the running rigging need replacement (standing rigging is fine)
3. Y-valve and one seacock need replacement.
4. A few minor yellow leak stains on the inside of the hull (in the techical areas, not the living zone)
5. There is zero additional equipment: no chartplotter, knotmeter, dodger, bimini, dinghy etc. There is the original VHF and a depth sounder with mechanical (!) dial
6. Electrics - the part that I saw looked very neat.. so neat that it may be original. Because see p.5 - no extra equipment, just what came with the boat and that's only VHF, lights, bilge and water pumps.
7. Companionway hatch is severely delaminated on the bottom.
8. A few things I was not able to check: steering (they say it works), head operation, roller furling, any electrical devices (the battery is dead, they have a new one but it's not installed; shore power was not connected due to some works at the marina).

Two big advatages:
1. Relatively cheap at 14,500 CAD or 11,000 USD
2. This is happening in Vancouver where marinas have years-long waiting lists. The boat comes with assumable moorage and more than that - the marina allows liveaboards! None of the other boats I inquired about comes with permanent moorage, the best of other offers only give moorage until spring and then I'm on my own.

Now the questions:
1. Let's be pessimistic and assume engine needs replacement, probably $5,000. Sails+rigging maybe $2,000? (correct me if I'm wrong here). And let's say everything in p.8 works (I can always make my offer conditional on that). With that in mind, is this still a good deal?
2. Should I invest in a haul-out and an idependent survey, or can I trust the one provided by the owner?
3. Will I go crazy living aboard a 27-footer? I also have a car and was living on the road for the last few months so all my stuff already fits in the trunk, storage will not be a problem, but it is still such a tiny space to call home.
dmitrytoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 09:50   #2

Boat: Pearson 10M
Re: Buying an Aloha 27 - is this a good deal?

With the caveat that I do not know anything about the specific boat, I can tell you with certainty you can do a lot better. Sales and rigging are going to cost you more than $2,000. Add into that The cost of a likely overhaul or possible replacement of the motor, You're going to be into this for far more than the boat is worth. Consider also there we're going to be other issues with a boat that has been sitting for a long time that will show themselves later. For a little more than you're paying for this boat, you can get one that may still need work, but will be ready to go. Meaning a working engine and serviceable rigging and sails. Simply put, I think you could do a lot better.
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 10:12   #3

For the boat, obivously. I'm going to see a Catalina 27 for 5,000 CAD this Saturday (not a typo), the owner claims she is ready to sail - don't know yet where the catch is. But moorage available only until April and then I may end up with the options of paying transient or leaving her at anchor god knows where.

And of course for $20-25K I can have a bigger boat in fully working condition, but again, when living in the city, boat without moorage will be a constant headache.

Let me put it in a different way - assuming replacement of the enigine, sails and rigging, what would be a reasonable price for this Aloha? Owner is ready to bargain to some extent, they are not interested in sailing themselves and probably want to get rid of it and stop paying $350/month for the slip.
Old 22-10-2020, 10:33   #4

For that pricepoint, you should be able to get a 27' boat with decent sails AND a working aux engine.
LeCrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 10:35   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitrytoda View Post
... assuming replacement of the engine, sails and rigging, what would be a reasonable price for this Aloha? ...
Under those assumptions, I'd only take it off their hands for free (or very nearly so).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 10:55   #6

Boat: Bristol 27

So you probably will not stay with a 27' sailboat your whole life so why not just get it useable at first at minimum dollar amount and go sailing.

This means used sails and for a 27' boat get and outboard and bracket not a diesel. I have a 5hp outboard on my boat and bought it new for $1550. Installation was taking it out of the box they shipped it in and hanging it on the bracket.

My 5 hp 4 stroke weighs all of 57 lbs. The ancient leaky 10 hp diesel I removed from the boat weight 352 lbs.

Btw, my boat is heavier than the Aloha, and I get by with a 5 hp but you could go 6 hp or 9.9 and the bracket you buy for it MUST be right to get depth.

So I paid $2,000 for my boat, $1550 for the outboard, $1600 for the main and it came with almost new jib, 5 anchors two of which were main anchors with chain and rode, gps, autopilot, dodger, depth, VHF

You can get used sails at Bacon's in Annapolis. Check the stock online for free under aloha 27.

Basically I bought my boat for $2,000 then put in another $10,000 but that was over a 9 year period. I just got it sailable at first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B27.1.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	486.6 KB
ID:	225684   Click image for larger version

Name:	B27.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	475.8 KB
ID:	225685  

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 11:09   #7

Quote:
For the boat, obivously. I'm going to see a Catalina 27 for 5,000 CAD this Saturday (not a typo), the owner claims she is ready to sail - don't know yet where the catch is. But moorage available only until April and then I may end up with the options of paying transient or leaving her at anchor god knows where.

And of course for $20-25K I can have a bigger boat in fully working condition, but again, when living in the city, boat without moorage will be a constant headache.

Let me put it in a different way - assuming replacement of the enigine, sails and rigging, what would be a reasonable price for this Aloha? Owner is ready to bargain to some extent, they are not interested in sailing themselves and probably want to get rid of it and stop paying $350/month for the slip.

From your description, I would not take the Aloha even if it was free, no joke. You may want something you can enjoy, an endless project is going to get frustrating. The Aloha also will cost you more to make it sailable than you expect. In regards to the Catalina, that is what the market is for most older boats in that size. I'll bet you can get it for $4500. Don't get attached to a particular boat, look around. You may be surprised what you find.
Old 22-10-2020, 11:20   #8

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Imo, that’s way too much money for a boat with in effect no engine, sails or running rigging, our 1977 Bristol 29.9 had a forty year old Yanmar sb12 that ran fine, and usable sails etc when we purchased it, it was raw water cooled, and it was only a little more money. Imo no working engine or sails makes it a $1500.00 dollar boat. There are lots and lots of use used fully functioning sail boats out there, keep looking. This boat is far to much money and work for the asking price.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 11:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagablu View Post
From your description, I would not take the Aloha even if it was free, no joke. You may want something you can enjoy, an endless project is going to get frustrating. The Aloha also will cost you more to make it sailable than you expect. In regards to the Catalina, that is what the market is for most older boats in that size. I'll bet you can get it for $4500. Don't get attached to a particular boat, look around. You may be surprised what you find.
$4500?

$4500 would be the owner's dream.

If you like it point out a few things wrong with it and offer $3,000 or $3,500 if you want to be a nice guy and the engine runs, sails are decent, it has an anchor working VHF, depth etc and the interior doesn't smell too damp.
Old 22-10-2020, 11:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
$4500?

$4500 would be the owner's dream.

If you like it point out a few things wrong with it and offer $3,000 or $3,500 if you want to be a nice guy and the engine runs, sails are decent, it has an anchor working VHF, depth etc and the interior doesn't smell too damp.
Thomm is correct!
Old 22-10-2020, 11:27   #11

Got it, thank you everybody!
I'll try to offer $3000 for the Aloha and maybe go up to $4000-4500, conditional on working VHF etc.
The interior is actually great, does not smell at all.
Old 22-10-2020, 11:40   #12

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
I'll try to offer $3000 for the Aloha and maybe go up to $4000-4500, conditional on working VHF etc.
If the boat comes with assumable permanent liveaboard moorage in Vancouver ... that alone may be a large part of the basis of the asking price, free boat included.
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2020, 11:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
If the boat comes with assumable permanent liveaboard moorage in Vancouver ... that alone may be a large part of the basis of the asking price, free boat included.

Yep I see the local here understands what I mean lol
Old 22-10-2020, 12:23   #14

Quote:
I thought we were talking the $5,000 Catalina 27.

He'll probably come down on the Aloha, but I doubt below half the asking price.
Old 22-10-2020, 12:29   #15

Quote:
Yep I see the local here understands what I mean lol
Speaking of "the local" you might want to talk with him about his Hullmaster 27.

It looks like a pretty nice boat on the sailboatdata website. Maybe there is another one of those up there that is for sale.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/hullmaster-27

Tags
buying