Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2021, 16:13   #16

Re: Buying boat that is out of water for the winter

Hold back x amount, based on survey of drive train, plus other maintenance issues/defective parts/ steering/cables, shaft electrical! we did this in 04 ! We agreed on $4k when we launched, in spring previous owner said he would allow that to be payment for issues not able to be addressed before sale 1
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 16:47   #17

Boat: Cape Dory 30c

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Hope to be putting in an offer on a boat in MA that will be out of the water before I can it surveyed. So will have no idea if sails go up, engine starts, etc.

What wording do I want in the P&S? Does the money stay escrowed the whole time, or at least a hold back on it?

28' daysailor for 40k.

Thanks,
I just did this. Bought a CD 30 for 16500 CAD. After surveying everything that could be done dry I proposed a hold back of 10%. Seller returned with a 5% reduction to close and I accepted. But I knew the history (freshwater club racer) of the boat and had met and spoke with the broker and buyer several times prior.
Mara Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 19:09   #18

Boat: O'Day 30 CB

I bought a boat on the hard last fall. We tried to get her in the water for a sea trial, but the marina could not accommodate us- too busy with haul outs here in Michigan. I liked the boat, I liked the sellers. We agreed that the sellers would pay up to $2000 in repair costs in the spring. We found no surprises in the spring.

We could have made it more complicated, but- $10,000 boat- nobody was getting too emotional or too worried. :-)
kayakerChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:43   #19

Boat: Jboats/j-100/33

Quote:
Hope to be putting in an offer on a boat in MA that will be out of the water before I can it surveyed. So will have no idea if sails go up, engine starts, etc.

What wording do I want in the P&S? Does the money stay escrowed the whole time, or at least a hold back on it?

28' daysailor for 40k.

Thanks,
I would think you can test engine quite easily on the hard on your own or with mechanic.
As for sails, just have a nearby loft come remove sails and lay them out in a loft for inspection. North did my sails inspection when I sold last summer.
The only thing you can not test on the hard is through hulls and how she sails. You should already know how she sails by the reviews of the model.
Sailathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:18   #20

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

I bought a boat on the hard and we started the engine with a hose adapted to run cooling water. Ran the engine for one half hour to listen and asses its condition. Easy to do.
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:33   #21

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Fear is the driver ,I bought my boat on the hard 40 years old survey done checked over by myself a few times , ran the engine on the hard checked sails etc. Talk to owner does he seem dodgy or a decent fellow who is not going to screw you ,
Honestly people on here saying they would not buy on the hard , you if it was a large expensive boat ofc
But the price point is for the boat and the owner is asking, do you trust them, do your homework,. I would be very surprised if any owner will wait and put money in escrow and wait for six months
What happens if you do something wrong and blame the owner who then does not get their money
But you would never do that !!! So why is the owner trying to screw you!! Trust and good sense and a bloody good survey and even a diesel mechanic to check it all and a rigger all can be done on the hard
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:39   #22

Boat: Hanse 348

Appreciate some of the comments. It's Nov in New England. Boats don't get moved. Boats that are winterized don't have their engines re run , out of the water. Yards are running over full tilt just to get everything set before snow and hard freeze comes in the next 1-3 weeks.

Plus it is crazy covid time. Yards are way understaffed. Can't even get a surveyor to come for 2-3 weeks. Several of them up north have already gone down south for business down there.

BTW, I had a friend who surveyed on the hard, even had the sails looked at. Seems to be great. In the spring, roller furler didn't work at all. Seller never disclosed this. Hence my thoughts on a small holdback.

Buying a boat on the hard in the fall is waaaay different than buying in the spring.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 11:38   #23

Boat: Cape Dory 30c

Quote:
Appreciate some of the comments. It's Nov in New England. Boats don't get moved. Boats that are winterized don't have their engines re run , out of the water. Yards are running over full tilt just to get everything set before snow and hard freeze comes in the next 1-3 weeks.

Plus it is crazy covid time. Yards are way understaffed. Can't even get a surveyor to come for 2-3 weeks. Several of them up north have already gone down south for business down there.

BTW, I had a friend who surveyed on the hard, even had the sails looked at. Seems to be great. In the spring, roller furler didn't work at all. Seller never disclosed this. Hence my thoughts on a small holdback.

Buying a boat on the hard in the fall is waaaay different than buying in the spring.
Very similar to our situation. Starting the engine and then rewinterizing it if you wind up not buying could be a liability. In our case the seller lowered the ask by half of our buyback so the risk was rationalized. We inspected the sails on the pavement and they were beautiful.
Mara Mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:55   #24

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
40k for a 28’ daysailor? 😳

You have the whole winter to scout boats, if his boat is still not sold by spring (highly likely) put in an offer at that time, his sale price would have come down anyway.
40k is it made of gold.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 13:06   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
40k is it made of gold.
For those that know nothing of Alerion 28 prices, here is a screen shot of some
data from the soldboats.com summary of actual sales.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alerion.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	247808  
Old 05-11-2021, 13:56   #26

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarian View Post
Fear is the driver ,I bought my boat on the hard 40 years old survey done checked over by myself a few times , ran the engine on the hard checked sails etc. Talk to owner does he seem dodgy or a decent fellow who is not going to screw you ,
Honestly people on here saying they would not buy on the hard , you if it was a large expensive boat ofc
But the price point is for the boat and the owner is asking, do you trust them, do your homework,. I would be very surprised if any owner will wait and put money in escrow and wait for six months
What happens if you do something wrong and blame the owner who then does not get their money
But you would never do that !!! So why is the owner trying to screw you!! Trust and good sense and a bloody good survey and even a diesel mechanic to check it all and a rigger all can be done on the hard
Totally agree. Why do you need a sea trial if you are buying a known model of boat? Plenty of reviews available saying how that model sails. Anything else can be checked on the hard. Sails will be off anyway.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 14:17   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivevon View Post
Totally agree. Why do you need a sea trial if you are buying a known model of boat? Plenty of reviews available saying how that model sails. Anything else can be checked on the hard. Sails will be off anyway.
I disagree. I've seen motor mounts that looked fine sheer under stress and wobbly shaft logs at sea trials when run at certain loads and turn rates, also fuel starvation and exhaust leaks when the motor is run up under load as well as rudder tube knees movings under hard turns.

No marina in their right mind would allow mainsails or jibs to be run up while the boat is on the hard on a cradle. How do you know the headsail will furl/unfurl through the furler or that inmast main will unfurl and furl without jamming ?

All of these issues are easily missed with an on the hard survey.
Old 05-11-2021, 15:11   #28

Boat: Lagoon 380

Our Lagoon 380 was on the hard when we bought it. We looked at it on the hard we made our offer based on the survey and sea trial. We paid to launch the boat and the owner got a transit slip for the week after while we waited on the survey results and our offer being accepted. After that we took over the transit slip once the offer was accepted while we for the process to be finished. It ended up cheaper doing it this way than putting the boat back on the hard and then back in the water when we took possession.

Cheyne
Cheyne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 15:16   #29

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
For those that know nothing of Alerion 28 prices, here is a screen shot of some
data from the soldboats.com summary of actual sales.
Maybe my mistake? I can't see those prices for a 28' boat.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 15:26   #30

Boat: Bristol 40

PM sent
Offshore1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, water