Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 02:17   #1

C&C 115

Hi~

Anyone have experience sailing the C&C 115? If so, do you think it is suitable for liveaboard/blue water sailing? Do you think the performance aspect negatively affects ability to handle open waters/weather? What are your thoughts on the newer C&C models in general? Pros and Cons?

I've done a lot of research on a lot of different boats and if I'm going to get something relatively new I just *like* it. I've been on board and taken one out coastally. I am concerned about it's blue water capabilities, though, and haven't been able to find any first hand answers.

I looked at the Mahina Expedition website (Mahina Expedition - Offshore Cruising Instruction) and it wasn't listed.

Thank you for any insight you can give.

Sarah
sfreivald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:47   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The newer C&C models only represent a “name & logo”.
Cuthbertson & Cassian (and crew) have nothing to do with the modern C&C brand.
They’re built by Fairport Yachts, who have two distinct lines:
- Tartan, built for the performance-oriented cruiser,
and
- C & C, designed for the racing enthusiast.

Fairport seems to be targeting the C&C line more towards the entry-level market; which will ultimately destroy the formerly upscale cachet of the brand.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:42   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I looked at the Mahina Expedition website (Mahina Expedition - Offshore Cruising Instruction) and it wasn't listed.
They do make some good points but fall short on a lot of others in attempt to cover a large topic quickly. They have a long list of boats and even if it isn't complete I would not say boats not on the list should not be considered. It is a decent list though trying to find the complete list isn't going to happen. You can sail anything anywhere - but would you want to? World records include across the Atlantic and California to Australia - 8 ft. - 9 in. Not all records mean they need to be broken.

I've not sailed a C&C 115 but on paper it has a few short comings though some great performance features. In fairness it probably was not on the list you saw because it hadn't been invented yet. It's a fast boat. It is a light boat that is certainly agile. For living aboard you really need to be thinking "pickup truck" not "sports car". The ugly side of cruising is hauling a lot of stuff and a fair amount of motoring. This boat is called a racer/cruiser. You could race quite well with this boat. If that was what you wanted to do and then cruise for a few weeks at a time it could be a perfect choice and be a great race boat. If you live on it, you won't be winning any races.

The boat is clearly an open ocean boat and while a 6-8 draft is not unheard of in cruising it is not exceptionally common. I do have friends that have been cruising for 8 years and have 6-9 draft. It does limit some destinations but there is a whole world out there. That boat is a cruiser/racer and 45 ft long and filled almost solid with "stuff". It performs well but it's more of a cruiser than a racer (they never raced it). The extra length makes up for the extra tonnage of stuff.

The engine at 29 HP and fuel only 26 gallons isn't designed for much motoring with a heavy load. With a normal load the engine would perform great. I would want double the fuel capacity at minimum. Water at 70 gallons isn't bad if you added a watermaker but 100 gallons or more would be better. This boat is most limited by it's desire to be light weight and they did a great job. It becomes limited when a light boat for fast sailing gets loaded down with 3 tons or more of gear (water and fuel count). 3 tons would be very minimal for 2 people and 4 tons would be closer to "light weight travelers". Living aboard isn't even that light weight. That only assume a few suitcases for your clothes. The bulk of it is boat stuff and things you have to bring. None of it comes with the boat when you buy it and it actually is all pretty expensive too.

If this boat could be right for you then it's going to depend a lot more about what you want to do and how you want to do it. The web site makes one point I strongly disagree with. The boat is not the most important decision you will make even if it is the most expensive. The most important decisions are about the crew and what they want and need. How you want to travel is the most important decision. You make the people fit the boat only to a very small degree.

Spending some time here you can learn a lot about all the "stuff" that goes in the boat. Get a calculator and start making a list! You can also read a lot about how people do it and how they think about it. There are many ways and certainly one for you.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:06   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Liveaboard, bluewater sailing? Definitely not strong points for the C&C 115. I would think this boat would be way down on the list for this purpose.
Old 06-03-2008, 20:06   #5

It might be a good idea to spend a LOT of time researching the parent company - Novis Marine.
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 08:42   #6

Hi everyone,

Thank you for your thoughtful replies! We are still a few years away from living aboard and of course are reading everything we can get our hands on and researching as much as possible.

Thanks again!
Sarah
sfreivald is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c&c